Separating the articles of authors with the same name
- José M. Soler
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
I describe a method to separate the articles of different authors with the same name. It is based on a distance between any two publications, defined in terms of the probability that they would have as many coincidences if they were drawn at random from all published documents. Articles with a given author name are then clustered according to their distance, so that all articles in a cluster belong very likely to the same author. The method has proven very useful in generating groups of papers that are then selected manually. This simplifies considerably citation analysis when the author publication lists are not available.
- Moed, H. F., Citation Analysis in Research Evaluation. Springer, Dordrecht, 2005.
- Thomson-Isi, 2006. Web page http://isiknowledge.com
- Wooding, S., Wilcox-Jay, K., Lewison, G., Grant, J., Co-author inclusion: A novel recursive algorithmic method for dealing with homonyms in bibliometric analysis, Scientometrics, 66(1) (2006) 11–21. CrossRef
- Torvik, V. I., Weeber, M., Swanson, D. R., Smalheiser, N. R., A probalistic similarity metric for medline records: A model for author name disambiguation, J. Am. Soc. Inform. Sci. Technol., 56(2) (2005) 140–158. CrossRef
- Damashek, M., Gauging similarity with n-grams: Language-independent cathegorization of text, Science, 267 (1995) 843–848. CrossRef
- Tenenbaum, J. B., de Silva, V., Langford, J. C., A global geometric framework for nonlinear dimensionality reduction, Science, 290 (2000) 2319–2323. CrossRef
- Roweis, S. T., Saul, L. K., Nonlinear dimensionality reduction by locally linear embedding, Science, 290 (2000) 2323–2326. CrossRef
- Mardia, K. V., Kent, J. T., Bibby, J. M., Multivariate Analysis. Academic Press, London, 1979.
- Sierra, G., Ordejon, P., 2006. Private communication.
- Soler, J. M., 2006. Web page http://www.unam.es/jose.soler/tools
- Separating the articles of authors with the same name
Volume 72, Issue 2 , pp 281-290
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- José M. Soler (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departamento de Física de la Materia Condensada, C-III, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, E-28049, Madrid, Spain