Coase on entrepreneurship
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Following a short biography of Nobel Laureate economist Ronald H. Coase, this two part interview explores (1) Coase’s life history and thoughts on academic scholarship and (2) Coase’s perspective on the field of entrepreneurship. Coase describes his experiences during his visiting scholarship to America in 1932, early career at the London School of Economics, and government work during World War II. He discusses the virtues of scholarship and the role of technology. In the second part of the interview, Coase views entrepreneurship as a vital source of endogenous change in the economy and outlines the importance of investigating the structure of production, and other important research and policy questions. Coase elaborates on how entrepreneurship has changed over time, and describes his most recent work on entrepreneurship in China. The interview concludes with Coase’s thoughts on the evolution of scholarship and his efforts to advance the field.
- Alvarez, S. A., & Busenitz, L. W. (2001). The entrepreneurship of resource-based theory. Journal of Management, 27, 755–775. CrossRef
- Coase, R. H. (1937). The nature of the firm. Economica, 4, 386–405. CrossRef
- Coase, R. H. (1974). The market for goods and the market for ideas. American Economic Review, 64(2), 384–391.
- Coase, R. H. 1991a. An autobiography. Nobelprize.org. ©The Nobel Foundation.
- Coase, R. H. (1991b). Speech at the Nobel Banquet. Nobelprize.org. ©The Nobel Foundation.
- Coase, R. H. (1994). Essays on economics and economists. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Coase, R. H. (1999). International Society of New Institutional Economics. Interview.
- Coase, R. H. (2002). Why economics will change. Address to U Missouri: Columbia.
- Coase, R. H. (2004). In W. Breit & B.T. Hirsch (Eds.) Lives of the Laureates: Eighteen Nobel economists (4th edn), (pp. 189–207). MIT Press: Cambridge.
- Coase, R. H., & Wang, N. (2011). The industrial structure of production: A research agenda for innovation in an entrepreneurial economy. Entrepreneurship Research Journal, 1(2), 1–11. CrossRef
- Coase, R. H., & Wang, N. (2012a). How China made its great leap forward. Wall Street Journal. Available at: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303302504577326132059836456.html?mod=googlenews_wsj. Accessed 06 December 2012.
- Coase, R. H., & Wang, N. (2012b). Saving economics from economists. Harvard Business Review, 36.
- Coase, R. H., & Wang, N. (2012c). How China became capitalist. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hazlett, T. W. (1997). Looking for results: Nobel laureate Ronald Coase on rights, resources, and regulation. Available at: http://reason.com/archives/1997/01/01/looking-for-results. Accessed 06 December 2012.
- Madhok, A. (2002). Reassessing the fundamentals and beyond: Ronald Coase, the transaction cost and resource-based theories of the firm and the institutional structure of production. Strategic Management Journal, 23, 535–550. CrossRef
- Medema, S. (1994). Ronald H. Coase. St. Martin’s Press: New York.
- Minniti, M., & Levesque, M. (2008). Recent developments in the economics of entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Venturing, 23, 603–612. CrossRef
- Nye, J. (1997). Interview. Inaugural Conference, International Society for New Institutional Economics. Available at: http://www.coase.org/coaseinterview.htm. Accessed 06 December 2012.
- Sandor, R. (2012). Good derivatives: A story of financial and environmental innovation. Hoboken: Wiley.
- Terjesen, S., Hessels, J., & Li, D. (2011). Comparative International Entrepreneurship Research: A Review and Research Agenda. Working paper presented at Academy of Management.
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. (1991). The prize in economics 1991—Press Release. Nobelprize.org. http://www.nobelprize.org/. Accessed 06 December 2012.
- Wang, N. (2003). Coase on the nature of economics. Cambridge Journal of Economics, 27, 807–829. CrossRef
- Wang, N. (2010a). Measuring transaction costs: Diverging approaches, contending practices. Division of Labour and Transaction Costs, 2(2), 111–146. CrossRef
- Wang, N. (2010b). Interview. Coase China Society. http://english.unirule.org.cn/Html/Unirule-News/20110101130956819.html. Accessed 06 December 2012.
- Werin, L. (1991). Presentation speech for the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in economic sciences in memory of Alfred Nobel. ©The Nobel Foundation.
- Williamson, O. E. (1985). The economic institutions of capitalism. New York: Free Press.
- Coase on entrepreneurship
Small Business Economics
Volume 40, Issue 2 , pp 173-184
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Management and Entrepreneurship, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, 1309 E. 10th St., Bloomington, IN, 47405, USA
- 2. School of Politics and Global Studies, Arizona State University, P.O. Box 873902, Tempe, AZ, 85287, USA