Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is a well-established fact that many people view the prospect of premature death by some causes with considerably more disquiet or “dread” than death by other causes. It is equally clear that for most people their personal risk of death by a given cause is also a matter of serious concern. This article reports the findings of a study aimed at estimating the effects of dread and personal risk of death by a specific cause on the willingness-to-pay based Value of Statistical Life (VSL) for that cause.
- Camerer, Colin. (1995). “Individual Decision Making,” in Kagel, J.H. and Ruth, A.E. (eds.), The Handbook of Experimental Economics. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Carthy, , Trevor, , Chilton, Susan, Covey, Judith, Hopkins, Lorraine, Jones-Lee, Michael, Loomes, Graham, Pidgeon, Nick, Spencer, Anne (1999) On the Contingent Valuation of Safety and the Safety of Contingent Valuation: Part 2 – the CV/SG ‘Chained’ Approach. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 17: pp. 187-213
- Chilton, Susan, Judith Covey, Lorraine Hopkins, Michael Jones-Lee, Graham Loomes, Nick Pidgeon, and Anne Spencer. (2002). “Public Perceptions of Risk and Preference-Based Values of Safety,” Journal of Risk and Uncertainty25(3), 211–232.
- Covey, , Judith, (2001) People’s Preferences for Safety Control: Why Does Baseline Risk Matter?. Risk Analysis 21: pp. 331-340 CrossRef
- Jones-Lee, Michael W. (1976). “The Value of Life: An Economic Analysis,” London: Martin Robertson and Chicago: Chicago University Press.
- Jones-Lee, , Michael, , Loomes, Graham (1995) Scale and Context Effects in the Valuation of Transport Safety. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 11: pp. 183-203 CrossRef
- McDaniels, , Timothy, L., Kamlet, Mark S., Fischer, Gregory W. (1992) Risk Perception and the Value of Safety. Risk Analysis 12: pp. 495-503 CrossRef
- Mendeloff, John and Robert M. Kaplan. (1990). “Are Twenty-Fold Differences in ‘Lifesaving’ Costs Justified? A Psychometric Study of the Relative Value Placed on Preventing Deaths from Programs Addressing Different Hazards,” in Cox, L.A. Jr. and Ricci, D.F. (eds.), New Risks. New York: Plenum Dress.
- Savage, , Ian, (1993) An Empirical Investigation into the Effect of Psychological Perceptions on the Willingness-to-Pay to Reduce Risk. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 6: pp. 75-90 CrossRef
- Slovic, Paul B., Baruch Fischhoff, and Sarah Lichtenstein. (1981). “Perceived Risk: Psychological Factors and Social Implications,” in Warner, F. (ed.), The Assessment and Perception of Risk. Proceedings of the Royal Society, Val 376, London: The Royal Society, pp. 17–34.
- Snedecor, G.W. and W.G. Cochran. (1989). Statistical Methods, 8th edition. Ames, IA: Iowa State University Press.
- Sunstein, , Cass, R. (1997) Bad Deaths. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 14: pp. 259-282 CrossRef
- Thomas, K. (1981). “Comparative Risk Perceptions: How the Public Perceives the Risk and Benefits of Energy Systems,” in Warner, F. (ed.), The Assessment and Perception of Risk. Proceedings of the Royal Society, Val 376, London: The Royal Society, pp. 35–50.
- Tolley, George, Donald Kenkel, and Robert Fabian. (1995). Valuing Health For Policy. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Viscusi, W. Kip. (1979). Employment hazards: An Investigation of Market Performance. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Viscusi, , Kip, W. (1989) Prospective Reference Theory: Toward an Explanation of the Paradoxes. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2: pp. 235-264 CrossRef
- Viscusi, , Kip, W., A. Magat, Wesley, Huber, Joel (1991) Pricing Environmental Health Risks: Survey Assessments of Risk-Risk and Risk-Dollar Trade-Offs for Chronic Bronchitis. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 21: pp. 32-51 CrossRef
- Dread risks
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty
Volume 33, Issue 3 , pp 165-182
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Willingness to pay
- Value of Statistical Life
- Industry Sectors