Blinding me with (queer) science: religion, sexuality, and (post?) modernity
- Ellen T. Armour
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This essay brings to bear insights from continental philosophers Michel Foucault and Judith Butler on the science of (homo)sexuality and, more importantly, the desire to use such science to resolve contemporary conflicts over homosexuality’s acceptability. So-called “queer science” remains deeply beholden to modern notions of sex, gender, and sexuality, the author argues, a schematic that its premodern (Christian) roots further denaturalize. The philosophical insights drawn from this analysis are then applied to the controversy over homosexuality within global Christianity that often pits the “backward” former colonies against the “modern” west.
- Armour E. T. (1999) Deconstruction, feminist theology and the problem of difference: Subverting the race/gender divide. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Armour E. T. (2010) Planetary sightings? Negotiating sexual differences in globalization’s shadow. In: Moore S., Rivera M. (eds) Planetary loves: Postcoloniality, gender and theology. Fordham University Press, New York, pp 209–224
- Armour, E. T., St. Ville, S. M. (eds) (2006) Bodily citations: Judith Butler and religion. Columbia University Press, New York
- Boswell J. (1980) Christianity, social tolerance and homosexuality. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Boswell J. (1985) Same-sex unions in premodern Europe. Vintage Press, New York
- Brooten B. (1996) Love between women: Early Christian responses to female homoeroticism. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Butler, J. (1990). Gender trouble: Feminism and the subversion of identity. New York: Routledge (10th anniversary edition 1999).
- Butler J. (2008) Sexual politics, torture, and sexual time. British Journal of Sociology 59(1): 1–23 CrossRef
- Dreger, A. (2009) Science is forcing sports to reexamine their core principles. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/sports/13dreger.html.
- Fausto-Sterling A. (2000) Sexing the body: Gender politics and the construction of sexuality. Basic Books, New York
- Foucault M. (1984) What is enlightenment?. In: Rabinow P. (eds) The Foucault reader (C Porter, Trans.). Pantheon Books, New York
- Foucault, M. (1990). The history of sexuality, Vol. 1: An introduction (R. Hurley, Trans.). New York: Random House.
- Hamer D., Copeland P. (1994) The science of desire: The search for the gay gene and the biology of behavior. Simon and Schuster, New York
- Hassett M. (2007) Anglican communion in crisis: How episcopal dissidents and their African allies are reshaping anglicanism. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ
- Jordan M. D. (1997) The invention of sodomy in Christian theology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Jordan M. D. (2002) The ethics of sex. Blackwell Publishers Ltd, Malden, MA
- Kolini, The most revd Emmanuel Mbona, et al. 31 January 1998. Available at http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rwanda.html. Accessed 10 July 2008.
- Kuefler, M. (eds) (2006) The Boswell thesis: Essays on Christianity, social tolerance and homosexuality. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- LeVay S. (1996) Queer science: The use and abuse of research into homosexuality. MIT Press, Boston
- Levy, A. (2009). Either/or: Sports, sex, and the case of Caster Semenya. The New Yorker, 30 November 2009. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/11/30/091130fa_fact_levy. Accessed 1 June 2010.
- Marus, R., & Warner, G. (2007). Mohler: Homosexuality likely genetic; Christians should support prenatal cure. 7 March 2007. http://www.abpnews.com/1855.article.
- Martin D. B. (2006) Sex and the single savior: Gender and sexuality in biblical interpretation. Westminster/John Knox Press, Louisville, KY
- McWhorter L. (2009) Racism and sexual oppression in Anglo-America: A genealogy. Indiana University Press, Bloomington
- Nelkin D., Lindee M. S. (1995a) The DNA mystique: The gene as a cultural icon. W.H. Freeman, New York
- Nelkin D., Lindee M. S. (1995b) The media-ted gene. In: Terry J., Urla J. (eds) Deviant bodies: Critical perspectives on difference in science and popular culture. Indiana University Press, Bloomington, pp 387–402
- Roscoe W., Murray S. O. (2001) Boy-wives and female Husbands: Studies in African homosexualities. Palgrave Macmillan, New York
- Saletan, W. (2008). Sexual reorientation: The gay culture war is about to turn chemical. Slate. http://www.slate.com/id/2193841/. 18 June 2008.
- Thomas, K. (2008). A lab is set to test the gender of some female athletes. The New York Times, 30 July 2008.
- Ward K. (2002) Same-sex relations in Africa and the debate on homosexuality in East African Anglicanism. Anglican Theological Review 83: 81–111
- Blinding me with (queer) science: religion, sexuality, and (post?) modernity
International Journal for Philosophy of Religion
Volume 68, Issue 1-3 , pp 107-119
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Post modernity
- Ellen T. Armour (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Divinity School, Vanderbilt University, 411 21st Ave. South, Nashville, TN, 37240, USA