Impact of autism in adolescents on parental quality of life
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To study the impact of autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) on parental quality of life (QoL) at adolescence using the parental–developmental disorders-quality of life scale (Par–DD-QoL).
One hundred and fifty-two mothers of adolescents with ASD completed Par–DD-QoL. This scale assesses the following dimensions: emotional, daily disturbance and global QoL. This cross-sectional study uses a subset of data collected at the final time of a follow-up study (EpiTED cohort).
A polytomic regression identified an increase in aberrant behavior scores as the major independent risk factor for parental QoL. The identified protective factors were the increase in daily living, communication and object cognition scores and a higher number of siblings.
Those results suggest that there is a negative effect of externalizing behaviors and a protective effect of adaptive skills, communication and object cognition on parental QoL. Study limitations and implications are discussed.
- APA (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (Text revision). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- (WHO) ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioral disorders diagnostic criteria for research. World Health Organization, Geneva
- Howlin, P, Goode, S, Hutton, J, Rutter, M (2004) Adult outcome for children with autism. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 45: pp. 212-229 CrossRef
- Farnik, M., Brozek, G., Pierzchała, W., Zejda, J. E., Skrzypek, M., & Walczak, Ł. (2010). Development, evaluation and validation of a new instrument for measurement quality of life in the parents of children with chronic disease. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 8, 151.
- Greenley, RN, Cunningham, C (2009) Parent quality of life in the context of pediatric inflammatory bowel disease. Journal of Pediatric Psychology 34: pp. 129-136 CrossRef
- Meltzer, EO (2001) Quality of life in adults and children with allergic rhinitis. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 108: pp. S45-S53 CrossRef
- Lee, GK, Lopata, C, Volker, MA, Thomeer, ML, Nida, RE, Toomey, JA (2009) Health-related quality of life of parents of children with high-functioning autism spectrum disorders. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities 24: pp. 227-239 CrossRef
- Yirmiya, N, Shaked, M (2005) Psychiatric disorders in parents of children with autism: A meta-analysis. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 46: pp. 69-83 CrossRef
- Ingersoll, B, Hambrick, DZ (2011) The relationship between the broader autism phenotype, child severity, and stress and depression in parents of children with autism spectrum disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 5: pp. 337 CrossRef
- Schieve, LA, Blumberg, SJ, Rice, C, Visser, SN, Boyle, C (2007) The relationship between autism and parenting stress. Pediatrics 119: pp. S114-S121 CrossRef
- Mugno, D, Ruta, L, D’Arrigo, VG, Mazzone, L (2007) Impairment of quality of life in parents of children and adolescents with pervasive developmental disorder. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 5: pp. 22 CrossRef
- Kheir, N., Ghoneim, O., Sandridge, A. L., Al-Ismail, M., Hayder, S., & Al-Rawi, F. (2012). Quality of life of caregivers of children with autism in Qatar. Autism, 16(3), 293–298.
- Parish, S. L., Seltzer, M. M., Greenberg, J. S., & Floyd, F. (2004). Economic implications of caregiving at midlife: Comparing parents with and without children who have developmental disabilities. Mental Retardation, 42(6), 413–426.
- Bruchon-Schweitzer, M (2002) Psychologie de la santé: modèles, concepts et méthodes (Vol. 456). Dunod, Paris
- Lazarus, RS, Folkman, S (1984) Stress appraisal, and coping. Springer, Berlin
- Bristol, MM Family resources and successful adaptation to autistic children. In: Schopler, E, Mesibov, GB eds. (1984) The effects of autism on the family. Plenum, New York, pp. 289-310 CrossRef
- Cappe, E, Wolff, M, Bobet, R, Adrien, J-L (2011) Quality of life: A key variable to consider in the evaluation of adjustment in parents of children with autism spectrum disorders and in the development of relevant support and assistance programmes. Quality of Life Research 20: pp. 1279-1294 CrossRef
- Hutton, AM, Caron, SL (2005) Experiences of families with children with autism in rural New England. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities 20: pp. 180-189 CrossRef
- Koegel, RL, Bimbela, A, Schreibman, L (1996) Collateral effects of parent training on family interactions. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 26: pp. 347 CrossRef
- Ozonoff, S, Cathcart, K (1998) Effectiveness of a home program intervention for young children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 28: pp. 25-32 CrossRef
- Hastings, RP, Beck, A (2004) Practitioner review: Stress intervention for parents of children with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 45: pp. 1338 CrossRef
- Preece, D, Jordan, R (2007) Short breaks services for children with autistic spectrum disorders: Factors associated with service use and non-use. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 37: pp. 374-385 CrossRef
- Whittingham, K, Sofronoff, K, Sheffield, JK (2006) Stepping Stones Triple P: A pilot study to evaluate acceptability of the program by parents of a child diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. Research in Developmental Disabilities 27: pp. 364 CrossRef
- Baghdadli, A, Darrou, C, Coudurier, C, Michelon, C, Raysse, P, Ledesert, B (2008) Durée des prises en charge d’enfants autistes et qualité de vie de leurs parents = Treatment durations of autistic children and their parents’ quality of life. Pratiques et organisation des soins 39: pp. 53-60
- Donovan, AM (1988) Family stress and ways of coping with adolescents who have handicaps: Maternal perceptions. American Journal of Mental Retardation 92: pp. 502-509
- Olsson, MB, Hwang, CP (2008) Socioeconomic and psychological variables as risk and protective factors for parental well-being in families of children with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 52: pp. 1102-1113 CrossRef
- Montes, G, Halterman, JS, Magyar, CI (2009) Access to and satisfaction with school and community health services for US children with ASD. Pediatrics 124: pp. S407-S413 CrossRef
- Rattaz, C, Ledesert, B, Masson, O, Ouss, L, Ropers, G, Baghdadli, A (2012) Special education and care services for children, adolescents, and adults with autism spectrum disorders in France: Families’ opinion and satisfaction. Autism.
- Spann, SJ, Kohler, FW, Soenksen, D (2003) Examining parents’ involvement in and perceptions of special education services an interview with families in a parent support group. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities 18: pp. 228-237 CrossRef
- Baghdadli, A, Assouline, B, Sonie, S, Pernon, E, Darrou, C, Michelon, C (2012) Developmental trajectories of adaptive behaviors from early childhood to adolescence in a cohort of 152 children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 42: pp. 1314-1325 CrossRef
- Lord, C, Rutter, M, Couteur, A (1994) Autism diagnostic interview-revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 24: pp. 659-685 CrossRef
- Berdeaux, G, Hervie, C, Smajda, C, Marquis, P (1998) Parental quality of life and recurrent ENT infections in their children: Development of a questionnaire. Quality of Life Research 7: pp. 501-512 CrossRef
- Raysse, P. (2011). Troubles du développement de l’enfant et qualité de vie familiale. thèse de doctorat, Psychologie du développement, University Montpellier 3, Montpellier (France).
- Schopler, E, Reichler, R, Renner, B (1988) The childhood autism rating scale (C.A.R.S). Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles, CA
- Sparrow, SS, Balla, DA, Cicchetti, DV (1984) The Vineland adaptive behavior scales. America Guidance Service, Circle Pines, MN
- Aman, MG, Singh, NN, Stewart, AW, Field, CJ (1985) The aberrant behavior checklist: A behavior rating scale for the assessment of treatment effects. American Journal of Mental Deficiency 89: pp. 485-491
- Baghdadli, A, Picot, MC, Michelon, C, Bodet, J, Pernon, E, Burstezjn, C (2007) What happens to children with PDD when they grow up? Prospective follow-up of 219 children from preschool age to mid-childhood. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 115: pp. 403-412 CrossRef
- Seibert, J. M., & Hogan, A. E., & Mundy, P. C. (1982). Assessing interactional competencies: The early social-communication scales.Infant Mental Health Journal, 3, 244–245.
- Shulman, BB (1985) Test of pragmatic skills. Communication Skill Builders, Tuscon, AZ
- Orsmond, GI, Seltzer, MM, Greenberg, JS, Krauss, MW (2006) Mother–child relationship quality among adolescents and adults with autism. American Journal on Mental Retardation 111: pp. 121 CrossRef
- Allik, H, Larsson, JO, Smedje, H (2006) Health-related quality of life in parents of school-age children with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 4: pp. 1-8 CrossRef
- Beadle-Brown, J, Murphy, G, DiTerlizzi, M (2009) Quality of life for the Camberwell cohort. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 22: pp. 380 CrossRef
- Kamp-Becker, I., Schroder, J., Remschmidt, H., & Bachmann, C. J. (2010). Health-related quality of life in adolescents and young adults with high functioning autism-spectrum disorder. Psycho-social Medicine, 7, 1–10.
- Klassen, A., Miller, A., & Fine, S. (2004). Health-related quality of life in children and adolescents who have a diagnosis of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Pediatrics, 114, 541–547.
- Altiere, MJ, Kluge, S (2009) Searching for acceptance: Challenges encountered while raising a child with autism. Journal of Intellectual Developmental Disability 34: pp. 142-152 CrossRef
- Lecavalier, L, Leone, S, Wiltz, J (2006) The impact of behaviour problems on caregiver stress in young people with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 50: pp. 172 CrossRef
- Tunali, B, Power, TG (2002) Coping by redefinition: Cognitive appraisals in mothers of children with autism and children without autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 32: pp. 25-34 CrossRef
- Impact of autism in adolescents on parental quality of life
Quality of Life Research
Volume 23, Issue 6 , pp 1859-1868
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Parental quality of life
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Risk factors
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre Ressources Autisme, CHRU Montpellier, 39 Avenue Charles Flahaut, 34295, Montpellier Cedex 05, France
- 2. Laboratoire Epsylon, University of Montpellier, EA 4556, 34000, Montpellier, France