Impact of nocturnal calf cramping on quality of sleep and health-related quality of life
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To evaluate the impact of nocturnal calf cramping (a condition that affects one in two people over 60 years of age) on quality of sleep and health-related quality of life.
Eighty adults who experienced nocturnal calf cramp at least once per week and eighty age- and sex-matched controls who never experienced nocturnal cramp were recruited from the Greater Newcastle and Central Coast regions of New South Wales, Australia. All participants completed the SF-36v2 and the Medical Outcomes Study Sleep Survey (MOS-SS).
People who experienced nocturnal muscle cramps reported more sleep disturbance (p < 0.001), less adequate sleep (p = 0.001), less quantity of sleep (p = 0.02) and more snoring (p = 0.03). Both sleep problem summary indices for the MOS-SS identified people who experienced nocturnal muscle cramp as having more sleep problems than the controls. People who experienced nocturnal muscle cramps had lower health-related quality of life for the SF-36 domains role physical (p = 0.007), bodily pain (p = 0.003) and general health (p = 0.02). SF-36 domains that primarily relate to mental health were not significantly different between groups. The impact of nocturnal calf cramps on health-related quality of life was largely explained by their negative impact on quality of sleep.
Nocturnal calf muscle cramps are associated with substantially reduced quality of sleep and reduced physical aspects of health-related quality of life.
- Abdulla, A., Jones, P., & Pearce, V. (1999). Leg cramps in the elderly: Prevalence, drug and disease associations. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 53(7), 494–496.
- Blyton, F., Chuter, V., & Burns, J. (2012). Unknotting night-time muscle cramp: A survey of patient experience, help-seeking behaviour and perceived treatment effectiveness. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research, 5(7), 1–8.
- Gootnick, A. (1943). Night cramps and quinine. Archives of Internal Medicine, 106(1), 555–562. CrossRef
- Redmond, A., Burns, J., & Ouvrier, R. (2008). Factors that influence health-related quality of life in Australian adults with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. Neuromuscular Disorders, 18, 619–625. CrossRef
- Burns, J., Ramchandren, S., Ryan, M., Shy, M., & Ouvrier, R. (2010). Determinants of reduced health related quality of life in pediatric inherited neuropathies. Neurology, 75(8), 726–731. CrossRef
- Jansen, P., Joosten, E., Van Dijck, J., Verbeek, A., & Durian, F. (1991). The incidence of muscle cramp. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 54(12), 1124–1125. CrossRef
- Gulich, M., Heil, P., & Zeitler, H. (1998). Epidemiology and determinants of cramps. European Journal of General Practice, 4, 109–113. CrossRef
- Ferreira, J., Desboeuf, K., Galitzky, M., Thalamas, C., Brefel-Courbon, C., Fabre, N., et al. (2006). Sleep disruption, daytime somnolence and ‘sleep attacks’ in Parkinson’s disease: A clinical survey in PD patients and age-matched healthy volunteers. European Journal of Neurology, 13, 209–214. CrossRef
- Van den Bergh, P., Bulcke, J. A., & Dom, R. (1980). Familial muscle cramps with autosomal dominant transmission. European Neurology, 19(3), 207–212. CrossRef
- Bagai, K., Song, Y., Ling, J. F., Malow, B., Black, B. K., Biaggioni, I., et al. (2011). Sleep disturbances and diminished quality of life in postural tachycardia syndrome. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 7(2), 204–210.
- Mendozzi, L., Tronci, F., Garegnani, M., & Pugnetti, L. (2010). Sleep disturbance and fatigue in mild relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis patients on chronic immunomodulant therapy: An actigraphic study. Multiple Sclerosis, 16(2), 238–247. CrossRef
- Cappelleri, J. C., Bushmakin, A. G., McDermott, A. M., Dukes, E., Sadosky, A., Petrie, C. D., et al. (2009). Measurement properties of the medical outcomes study sleep scale in patients with fibromyalgia. Sleep Medicine, 10(7), 766–770. CrossRef
- Hays, R. D., Martin, S. A., Sesti, A. M., & Spritzer, K. L. (2005). Psychometric properties of the medical outcomes study sleep measure. Sleep Medicine, 6(1), 41–44. CrossRef
- Allen, R. P., Kosinski, M., Hill-Zabala, C. E., & Calloway, M. O. (2009). Psychometric evaluation and tests of validity of the medical outcomes study 12-item sleep scale (MOS sleep). Sleep Medicine, 10(5), 531–539. CrossRef
- Wells, G. A., Li, T., Kirwan, J. R., Peterson, J., Aletaha, D., Boers, M., et al. (2009). Assessing quality of sleep in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Rheumatology, 36(9), 2077–2086. CrossRef
- Hawthorne, G., Osborne, R. H., Taylor, A., & Sansoni, J. (2007). The SF36 version 2: Critical analyses of population weights, scoring algorithms and population norms. Quality of Life Research, 16(4), 661–673. CrossRef
- Spritzer, K. L., & Hays, R. D. (2003). MOS sleep scale: A manual for use and scoring, version 1.0. Los Angeles, CA.
- Hawke, F., Chuter, V., & Burns, J. (2012). Factors associated with night-time calf cramp: A case control study. Muscle and Nerve. (Accepted for publication 17 July).
- Pallant, J. (2007). SPSS survival manual: A step by step guide to data analysis using SPSS (3rd ed.). Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- Livingston, G., Blizard, B., & Mann, A. (1993). Does sleep disturbance predict depression in elderly people? A study in inner London. British Journal of General Practice, 43(376), 445–448.
- Cho, H. J., Lavretsky, H., Olmstead, R., Levin, M. J., Oxman, M. N., Irwin, M. R., et al. (2008). Sleep disturbance and depression recurrence in community-dwelling older adults: A prospective study. American Journal of Psychiatry, 165(12), 1543–1550. CrossRef
- Dew, M. A., Hoch, C. C., Buysse, D. J., Monk, T. H., Begley, A. E., & Houck, P. R., et al. (2003). Healthy older adults’ sleep predicts all-cause mortality at 4 to 19 years of follow-up. (Erratum appears in Psychosom Med. 2003 Mar-Apr; 65(2):210). Psychosomatic Medicine, 65(1), 63–73.
- Gentili, A., Weiner, D., Kuchibhatla, M., & Edinger, J. (1997). Factors that disturb sleep in nursing home residents. Aging, 9(3), 207–213.
- Impact of nocturnal calf cramping on quality of sleep and health-related quality of life
Quality of Life Research
Volume 22, Issue 6 , pp 1281-1286
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Sleep quality
- Quality of life
- Sleep disturbance
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Discipline of Paediatrics and Child Health, Sydney Medical School, The University of Sydney, Westmead, NSW, Australia
- 2. Podiatry Program, The University of Newcastle, Ourimbah, NSW, Australia
- 5. Health Precinct, The University of Newcastle, PO Box 127, Ourimbah, 2258, NSW, Australia
- 3. Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Research Group, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
- 4. Institute for Neuroscience and Muscle Research, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Westmead, NSW, Australia