Explaining rural/non-rural disparities in physical health-related quality of life: a study of United Methodist clergy in North Carolina
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Researchers have documented lower health-related quality of life (HRQL) in rural areas. This study seeks to identify factors that can explain this disparity.
United Methodist clergy in North Carolina (N = 1,513) completed the SF-12 measure of HRQL and items on chronic disease diagnoses, health behaviors, and health care access from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Survey (BRFSS). Differences in HRQL between rural (N = 571) and non-rural clergy (N = 942) were examined using multiple regression analyses.
Physical HRQL was significantly lower for rural clergy (−2.0; 95% CI: −2.9 to −1.1; P < 0.001). Income, body mass index, and joint disease partially accounted for the rural/non-rural difference, though a sizable disparity remained after controlling for these mediators (−1.02; 95% CI: −1.89 to −.15; P = 0.022). Mental HRQL did not differ significantly between rural and non-rural respondents (1.0, 95% CI: −0.1 to 2.1; P = 0.067).
Rural/non-rural disparities in physical HRQL are partially explained by differences in income, obesity, and joint disease in rural areas. More research into the causes and prevention of these factors is needed. Researchers also should seek to identify variables that can explain the difference that remains after accounting for these variables.
- Weeks, WB, Kazis, LE, Shen, Y (2001) Differences in health-related quality of life in rural and urban veterans. American Journal of Public Health 94: pp. 1762-1767 CrossRef
- Weeks, WB, Wallace, AE, Wang, S, Lee, A, Kazis, LE (2006) Rural-urban disparities in health-related quality of life within disease categories of veterans. Journal of Rural Health 22: pp. 204-211 CrossRef
- Kovac, SH, Mikuls, TR, Mudano, A, Saag, KG (2006) Health-related quality of life among self-reported arthritis sufferers: Effects of race/ethnicity and residence. Quality of Life Research 15: pp. 451-460 CrossRef
- Oguzturk, O (2008) Differences in quality of life in rural and urban populations. Clinical and Investigative Medicine 31: pp. E346-E350
- Krivo, LJ, Peterson, RD, Rizzo, H, Reynolds, JR (1998) Race, segregation, and the concentration of disadvantage: 1980–1990. Social Problems 45: pp. 61-80 CrossRef
- Hausdorf, K, Rogers, C, Whiteman, D (2008) Rating access to health care: Are there differences according to geographical region?. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 32: pp. 246-249 CrossRef
- Laditka, JN, Laditka, SB, Probst, JC (2009) Health care access in rural areas: Evidence that hospitalization for ambulatory care-sensitive conditions in the United States may increase with the level of rurality. Health & Place 15: pp. 731-740 CrossRef
- Litaker, D, Koroukian, SM, Love, TE (2005) Context and healthcare access: Looking beyond the individual. Medical Care 43: pp. 531-540 CrossRef
- Merwin, E, Snyder, A, Katz, E (2006) Differential access to quality rural healthcare: Professional and policy challenges. Family & Community Health 29: pp. 186-194
- Probst, J. C., Laditka, S. B., Wang, J., Johnson, A. O. (2007). Effects of residence and race on burden of travel for care: Cross sectional analysis of the 2001 US National Household Travel Survey. BMC Health Services Research, 7(40).
- Reschovsky, JD, Staiti, AB (2005) Access and quality: Does rural America lag behind?. Health Affairs 24: pp. 1128-1139 CrossRef
- Stearns, SC, Slifkin, RT, Edin, HM (2000) Access to care for rural medicare beneficiaries. Journal of Rural Health 16: pp. 31-42 CrossRef
- Zollinger, T, Saywell, R, Smith, M, Robinson, R, Knudson, N (2000) Children’s special health care services program: Impact of administrative changes on rural needs. Children’s Health Care 29: pp. 295-311 CrossRef
- (2008). The book of discipline of the United Methodist Church (pp. 398–401). Nashville, T.N.: The United Methodist Publishing House.
- Bronstein, JM, Johnson, VA, Fargason, CA (1997) How rural physicians compare on cost and quality measures for Medicaid ambulatory care episodes. Journal of Rural Health 13: pp. 126-135 CrossRef
- Ware, JE, Kosinski, M, Keller, S (1998) SF-12: How to score the SF-12 physical and mental health summary scales. 3rd. QualityMetric Inc, Lincoln, RI
- Andrews, G, Henderson, S, Hall, W (2001) Prevalence, comorbidity, disability and service utilization: Overview of the Australian National Mental Health Survey. British Journal of Psychiatry 178: pp. 145-153 CrossRef
- Ciechanowski, PS, Katon, WJ, Russo, JE (2000) Depression and diabetes: Impact of depressive symptoms on adherence, function, and cost. Archives of Internal Medicine 160: pp. 3278-3285 CrossRef
- Sanderson, K, Andrews, G, Jelsma, W (2001) Disability measurement in the anxiety disorders: Comparison of three brief measures. Journal of Anxiety Disorders 15: pp. 333-344 CrossRef
- Zigmond, A, Snaith, R (1983) The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 67: pp. 361-370 CrossRef
- Bjelland, I, Dahl, AA, Haug, TT, Neckelmann, D (2002) The validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. An updated literature review. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 52: pp. 69-77 CrossRef
- Kroenke, K, Spitzer, RL, Williams, JB (2001) The PHQ-9: Validity of a brief depression severity measure. Journal of General Internal Medicine 16: pp. 606-613 CrossRef
- Stafford, L, Berk, M, Jackson, HJ (2007) Validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale and Patient Health Questionnaire-9 to screen for depression in patients with coronary artery disease. General Hospital Psychiatry 29: pp. 417-424 CrossRef
- Sheps, C. G. (n.d.) Persistent Health Professional Shortage Areas (PHPSAs) North Carolina, 2005. Available at: (http://www.shepscenter.unc.edu/research_programs/rural_program/maps.html). Accessed 2 June 2009.
- MacKinnon, DP, Fairchild, AJ, Fritz, MS (2007) Mediation analysis. Annual Review of Psychology 58: pp. 593-614 CrossRef
- Baron, RM, Kenny, DA (1986) The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 51: pp. 1173-1182 CrossRef
- Long, JS, Ervin, LH (2000) Using heteroscedasticity consistent standard errors in the linear regression model. The American Statistician 54: pp. 217-224 CrossRef
- Bliese, P. (2008). multilevel: Multilevel functions. R package version 2.3. Available at: http://cran.r-project.org/package=multilevel. Accessed 4 Oct 2010.
- DebRoy, S., Bivand, R., et al. (2009). foreign: Read data stored by Minitab, S, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Systat, dBase,…. R package version 0.8-37. Available at: http://cran.r-project.org/package=foreign. Accessed 4 Oct 2010.
- Fox. J. (2009). car: Companion to applied regression. R package version 1.2-15. Available at: http://cran.r-project.org/package=car. Accessed 4 Oct 2010.
- Harrell, F. E., with contributions from many other users. (2009). Hmisc: Harrell miscellaneous. R package version 3.7-0. Available at: http://cran.r-project.org/package=Hmisc. Accessed 4 Oct 2010.
- Warnes, G. R. (2006). gregmisc: Greg’s miscellaneous functions. R package version 2.1.1. Available at: http://cran.r-project.org/package=gregmisc. Accessed 4 Oct 2010.
- Zeileis, A (2004) Econometric computing with HC and HAC covariance matrix estimators. Journal of Statistical Software 11: pp. 1-17
- Zeileis, A (2006) Object-oriented computation of sandwich estimators. Journal of Statistical Software 16: pp. 1-16
- R Development Core Team. (2009). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. Available at: http://www.r-project.org. Accessed 4 Oct 2010.
- Ware, J, Kosinski, M, Turner-Bowker, D, Gandek, B (2002) SF-12v2: How to score version 2 of the SF-12 health survey (with a supplement documenting version 1). QualityMetric Inc, Lincoln, RI
- Brambor, T, Clark, WR, Golder, M (2005) Understanding interaction models: Improving empirical analyses. Political Analysis 14: pp. 63-82 CrossRef
- Hosler, AS (2009) Retail food availability, obesity, and cigarette smoking in rural communities. Journal of Rural Health 25: pp. 203-210 CrossRef
- Jackson, JE, Doescher, MP, Jerant, AF, Hart, LG (2005) A national study of obesity prevalence and trends by type of rural county. Journal of Rural Health 21: pp. 140-148 CrossRef
- Joens-Matre, RR, Welk, GJ, Calabro, MA (2008) Rural–urban differences in physical activity, physical fitness, and overweight prevalence of children. Journal of Rural Health 24: pp. 49-54 CrossRef
- Patterson, PD, Moore, CG, Probst, JC, Shinogle, JA (2004) Obesity and physical inactivity in rural America. Journal of Rural Health 20: pp. 151-159 CrossRef
- Cha, ES, Kong, KA, Moon, EK, Lee, WJ (2009) Prevalence and changes in chronic diseases among South Korean farmers: 1998 to 2005. BMC Public Health 9: pp. 268 CrossRef
- Joshi, VL, Chopra, A (2009) Is there an urban-rural divide? Population surveys of rheumatic musculoskeletal disorders in the Pune region of India using the COPCORD Bhigwan model. The Journal of Rheumatology 36: pp. 614-622 CrossRef
- Callahan, LF, Shreffler, J, Mielenz, T (2008) Arthritis in the family practice setting: Associations with education and community poverty. Arthritis and Rheumatism 59: pp. 1002-1008 CrossRef
- Cvijetić, S, Kurtagić, N, Ozegović, DD (2004) Osteoarthritis of the hands in the rural population: A follow-up study. European Journal of Epidemiology 19: pp. 687-691 CrossRef
- Lee, D, Steffes, M, Jacobs, DR (2007) Positive associations of serum concentration of polychlorinated biphenyls or organochlorine pesticides with self-reported arthritis, especially rheumatoid type, in women. Environmental Health Perspectives 115: pp. 883-888 CrossRef
- Tickamyer, AR, Duncan, CM (1990) Poverty and opportunity structure in rural America. Annual Review of Sociology 16: pp. 67-86 CrossRef
- (2010). Rural poverty persists. State Legislatures, 36(4), 6.
- Explaining rural/non-rural disparities in physical health-related quality of life: a study of United Methodist clergy in North Carolina
Quality of Life Research
Volume 20, Issue 6 , pp 807-815
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Rural health
- Health-related quality of life
- Joint diseases
- Industry Sectors