Gender, Sexuality and the Endemic Nature of Youth Violence
- Linda M. Waldron
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Bully Society: School Shootings and the Crisis of Bullying in America’s Schools. By Jessie Klein. NY, NY: New York University Press, 2012.
Gender, Heterosexuality, and Youth Violence: The Struggle for Recognition. By James W. Messerschmidt. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2012.
The recent shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut left twenty children and six adults dead. It once again invoked a national conversation about violence on school grounds. Albeit tragedies such as this are rare, their occurrences invite a deeper examination into such things as gun control policy, mental health service availability, bullying and the like. Yet as Katz et al. (1999) suggested more than a decade ago in a Boston Globe article after the Columbine tragedy, it appears we are “missing the mark” by failing to recognize the pervasive role that hegemonic masculinity and heterosexism play in such events. Jessie Klein’s Bully Society and James Messerschmidt’s Gender, Heterosexuality and Y
- Bourdieu, Pierre. 1979. Distinction: A social critique of the judgment of taste. London: Routledge.
- Carlson, B.E. 2000. Children exposed to intimate partner violence: Research findings and implications for intervention. Trauma, Violence, and Abuse 1(4): 321–340. CrossRef
- Connell, R.W. 1995. Masculinities. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Connell, R.W., and James W. Messerschmidt. 2005. Hegemonic masculinity: Rethinking the concept. Gender and Society 19(6): 829–859. CrossRef
- Geertz, Clifford. 1973. Interpretation of culture. New York: Basic Books.
- Graham-Bermann, Sandra A., and Jeffrey L. Edleson (eds.). 2001. Domestic violence in the lives of children: The future of research, intervention and social policy. American Psychological Association.
- Katz, Jackson and Sut Jhally. 1999. The National Conversation in the Wake of Littleton is Missing the Mark. The Boston Sunday Globe.
- Messerschmidt, James. 2012. Gender, heterosexuality, and youth violence: The struggle for recognition. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Sutherland, Edwin. 1937. The professional thief. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Gender, Sexuality and the Endemic Nature of Youth Violence
Volume 36, Issue 2 , pp 227-230
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Linda M. Waldron (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Sociology, Social Work and Anthropology, Christopher Newport University, One Avenue of the Arts, Newport News, VA, 23606, USA