Date: 08 Nov 2008
Disaster Research and Social Network Analysis: Examples of the Scientific Understanding of Human Dynamics at the National Science Foundation
This paper was written by researchers who were program directors of the National Science Foundation during 2006. Larry Suter is currently a program director in the Division of Research, Evaluation and Communication, of the Education and Human Resources Directorate. Thomas Birkland was a program director for the Infrastucture Management and Hazards Response Program in the Division for Civil, Mechanical, and Manufacturing Innovation in the Engineering Directorate, and is now the Director of the Center for Policy Research at the University at Albany, State University of New York. Raima Larter is a Program Director in the Theoretical and Computational Chemistry Program of NSF.
Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
- Facing hazards and disasters: Understanding human dimensions. National Research Council, Washington, DC
- Derry, Sharon J, Schunn, Christian D, Gernsbacher, Morton Ann eds. (2005) Interdisciplinary collaboration: An emerging cognitive science. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers, New Jersey
- Kuhn, Thomas (1962) The structure of scientific revolutions. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Robinson, Scott E (2006) A decade of treating networks seriously. Policy Studies Journal 34: pp. 589-598 CrossRef
- Stokes, Donald E (1997) Pasteur’s quadrant: Basic science and technological innovation. Brookings Institution Press, Washington, DC
- The plan to coordinate NEHRP post-earthquake investigations (http://www.nehrp.gov/).
- Disaster Research and Social Network Analysis: Examples of the Scientific Understanding of Human Dynamics at the National Science Foundation
Population Research and Policy Review
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 1-10
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Research, Evaluation and Communication, Education and Human Resources Directorate, The National Science Foundation, 4201 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA, 22230, USA
- 2. School of Public and International Affairs, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 27695, USA
- 3. Mathematical and Physical Sciences, The National Science Foundation, 4201 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA, 22230, USA