Two arguments against the punishment-forbearance account of forgiveness
- Brandon Warmke
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
One account of forgiveness claims that to forgive is to forbear punishment. Call this the Punishment-Forbearance Account of forgiveness. In this paper I argue that forbearing punishment is neither necessary nor sufficient for forgiveness.
- Darwall, S. (2006). The second-person standpoint: Morality, respect, and accountability. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Feinberg, J. (1970). Doing and deserving: Essays in the theory of responsibility. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Garrard, E., and McNaughton, D. (2003). In Defence of Unconditional Forgiveness. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society.
- Gert, B. (2010). Hobbes: Prince of peace. Cambridge: Polity.
- Griswold, C. (2007). Forgiveness: A philosophical exploration. Cambridge: CUP. CrossRef
- Hobbes, T. 1969 (1651). Leviathan. Menston, England: The Scholar Press Limited.
- Holmgren, M. (1993). Forgiveness and the intrinsic value of persons. American Philosophical Quarterly, 30, 4.
- Hughes, P. M. (1993). What is involved in forgiving? The Journal of Value Inquiry, 27, 331–340. CrossRef
- Lauritzen, P. (1987). Forgiveness: Moral prerogative or religious duty? The Journal of Religious Ethics, 15, 2.
- McKenna, M. (2012). Conversation and responsibility. Oxford: Oxford University Press. CrossRef
- Murphy, J. (2003). Getting even: Forgiveness and its limits. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Strawson, P.F. (1962). Freedom and Resentment. in John Martin Fischer and Mark Ravizza, eds.1993. Perspectives on Moral Responsibility. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Twambley, P. (1976). Mercy and forgiveness. Analysis, 36(2), 84–90. CrossRef
- Warmke, B. (2011). Is forgiveness the deliberate refusal to punish? Journal of Moral Philosophy, 8, 613–620. CrossRef
- Zaibert, L. (2009). The paradox of forgiveness. Journal of Moral Philosophy, 6, 365–393. CrossRef
- Two arguments against the punishment-forbearance account of forgiveness
Volume 165, Issue 3 , pp 915-920
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Brandon Warmke (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA