Two arguments against the punishment-forbearance account of forgiveness
- Brandon Warmke
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
One account of forgiveness claims that to forgive is to forbear punishment. Call this the Punishment-Forbearance Account of forgiveness. In this paper I argue that forbearing punishment is neither necessary nor sufficient for forgiveness.
- Darwall, S (2006) The second-person standpoint: Morality, respect, and accountability. Harvard University Press, Cambridge
- Feinberg, J (1970) Doing and deserving: Essays in the theory of responsibility. Princeton University Press, Princeton
- Garrard, E., and McNaughton, D. (2003). In Defence of Unconditional Forgiveness. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society.
- Gert, B (2010) Hobbes: Prince of peace. Polity, Cambridge
- Griswold, C (2007) Forgiveness: A philosophical exploration. CUP, Cambridge CrossRef
- Hobbes, T. 1969 (1651). Leviathan. Menston, England: The Scholar Press Limited.
- Holmgren, M (1993) Forgiveness and the intrinsic value of persons. American Philosophical Quarterly 30: pp. 4
- Hughes, PM (1993) What is involved in forgiving?. The Journal of Value Inquiry 27: pp. 331-340 CrossRef
- Lauritzen, P (1987) Forgiveness: Moral prerogative or religious duty?. The Journal of Religious Ethics 15: pp. 2
- McKenna, M (2012) Conversation and responsibility. Oxford University Press, Oxford CrossRef
- Murphy, J (2003) Getting even: Forgiveness and its limits. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Strawson, P.F. (1962). Freedom and Resentment. in John Martin Fischer and Mark Ravizza, eds.1993. Perspectives on Moral Responsibility. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Twambley, P (1976) Mercy and forgiveness. Analysis 36: pp. 84-90 CrossRef
- Warmke, B (2011) Is forgiveness the deliberate refusal to punish?. Journal of Moral Philosophy 8: pp. 613-620 CrossRef
- Zaibert, L (2009) The paradox of forgiveness. Journal of Moral Philosophy 6: pp. 365-393 CrossRef
- Two arguments against the punishment-forbearance account of forgiveness
Volume 165, Issue 3 , pp 915-920
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Brandon Warmke (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA