Impact of Excipient Interactions on Solid Dosage Form Stability
- Ajit S. NarangAffiliated withDrug Product Science and Technology, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Co. Email author
- , Divyakant DesaiAffiliated withDrug Product Science and Technology, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Co.
- , Sherif BadawyAffiliated withDrug Product Science and Technology, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Co.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Drug-excipient interactions in solid dosage forms can affect drug product stability in physical aspects such as organoleptic changes and dissolution slowdown, or chemically by causing drug degradation. Recent research has allowed the distinction in chemical instability resulting from direct drug-excipient interactions and from drug interactions with excipient impurities. A review of chemical instability in solid dosage forms highlights common mechanistic themes applicable to multiple degradation pathways. These common themes include the role of water and microenvironmental pH. In addition, special aspects of solid-state reactions with excipients and/or excipient impurities add to the complexity in understanding and modeling reaction pathways. This paper discusses mechanistic basis of known drug-excipient interactions with case studies and provides an overview of common underlying themes. Recent developments in the understanding of degradation pathways further impact methodologies used in the pharmaceutical industry for prospective stability assessment. This paper discusses these emerging aspects in terms of limitations of drug-excipient compatibility studies, emerging paradigms in accelerated stability testing, and application of mathematical modeling for prediction of drug product stability.
KEY WORDScapsules compatibility degradation dissolution excipients granules impurities mechanism reaction stability tablets
- Impact of Excipient Interactions on Solid Dosage Form Stability
Volume 29, Issue 10 , pp 2660-2683
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors