Spatio–temporal VEGF and PDGF Delivery Patterns Blood Vessel Formation and Maturation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Biological mechanisms of tissue regeneration are often complex, involving the tightly coordinated spatial and temporal presentation of multiple factors. We investigated whether spatially compartmentalized and sequential delivery of factors can be used to pattern new blood vessel formation.
Materials and Methods
A porous bi-layered poly(lactide–co-glycolide) (PLG) scaffold system was used to locally present vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) alone in one spatial region, and sequentially deliver VEGF and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) in an adjacent region. Scaffolds were implanted in severely ischemic hindlimbs of SCID mice for 2 and 6 weeks, and new vessel formation was quantified within the scaffolds.
In the compartment delivering a high dose of VEGF alone, a high density of small, immature blood vessels was observed at 2 weeks. Sequential delivery of VEGF and PDGF led to a slightly lower blood vessel density, but vessel size and maturity were significantly enhanced. Results were similar at 6 weeks, with continued remodeling of vessels in the VEGF and PDGF layer towards increased size and maturation.
Spatially localizing and temporally controlling growth factor presentation for angiogenesis can create spatially organized tissues.
- Coultas, L., Chawengsaksophak, K., Rossant, J. (2005) Endothelial cells and VEGF in vascular development. Nature 438: pp. 937-945 CrossRef
- Gerstenfeld, L. C., Cullinane, D. M., Barnes, G. L., Graves, D. T., Einhorn, T. A. (2003) Fracture healing as a post-natal developmental process: molecular, spatial, and temporal aspects of its regulation. J. Cell. Biochem. 88: pp. 873-884 CrossRef
- Eichmann, A., Noble, F., Autiero, M., Carmeliet, P. (2005) Guidance of vascular and neural network formation. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 15: pp. 108-115 CrossRef
- Yancopoulos, G. D., Davis, S., Gale, N. W., Rudge, J. S., Wiegand, S. J., Holash, J. (2000) Vascular-specific growth factors and blood vessel formation. Nature 407: pp. 242-248 CrossRef
- Conway, E. M., Collen, D., Carmeliet, P. (2001) Molecular mechanisms of blood vessel growth. Cardiovasc. Res. 49: pp. 507-521 CrossRef
- Ruhrberg, C. (2003) Growing and shaping the vascular tree: multiple roles for VEGF. BioEssays 25: pp. 1052-1060 CrossRef
- Dor, Y., Djonov, V., Keshet, E. (2003) Making vascular networks in the adult: branching morphogenesis without a roadmap. Trends Cell Biol. 13: pp. 131-136 CrossRef
- Boontheekul, T., Mooney, D. J. (2003) Protein-based signaling systems in tissue engineering. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 14: pp. 559-565 CrossRef
- Chen, R. R., Mooney, D. J. (2003) Polymeric growth factor delivery strategies for tissue engineering. Pharm. Res. 20: pp. 1103-1112 CrossRef
- Campbell, P. G., Miller, E. D., Fisher, G. W., Walker, L. M., Weiss, L. E. (2005) Egineered spatial patterns of FGF-2 immobilized on fibrin direct cell organization. Biomaterials 26: pp. 6762-6770 CrossRef
- Luong, L. N., Hong, S. I., Patel, R. J., Outslay, M. E., Kohn, D. H. (2006) Spatial control of protein within biomimetically nucleated mineral. Biomaterials 27: pp. 1175-1186 CrossRef
- Peirce, S. M., Price, R. J., Skalak, T. C. (2004) Spatial and temporal control of angiogenesis and arterialization using focal applications of VEGF164 and Ang-1. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 286: pp. H918-925 CrossRef
- Peters, M. C., Polverini, P. J., Mooney, D. J. (2002) Engineering vascular networks in porous polymer matrices. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 60: pp. 668-678 CrossRef
- Sun, Q., Chen, R. R., Shen, Y., Mooney, D. J., Rajagopalan, S., Grossman, P. M. (2005) Sustained vascular endothelial growth factor delivery enhances angiogenesis and perfusion in ischemic hind limb. Pharm. Res. 22: pp. 1110-1116 CrossRef
- Richardson, T. P., Peters, M. C., Ennett, A. B., Mooney, D. J. (2001) Polymeric system for dual growth factor delivery. Nat. Biotechnol. 19: pp. 1029-1034 CrossRef
- Cohen, S., Yoshioka, T., Lucarelli, M., Hwang, L. H., Langer, R. (1991) Controlled delivery systems for proteins based on poly(lactic/glycolic acid) microspheres. Pharm. Res. 8: pp. 713-720 CrossRef
- Harris, L. D., Kim, B. S., Mooney, D. J. (1998) Open pore biodegradable matrices formed with gas foaming. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 42: pp. 396-402 CrossRef
- W. M. Saltzman. Drug Delivery: Engineering Principles for Drug Therapy. (eds.). Oxford University Press, London, UK, 2001.
- R. B. Bird. Transport Phenomena. (eds.). Wiley, New York, 2001.
- R. Bird, W. Stewart, and E. Lightfoot. Transport Phenomena. (eds.). Wiley, New York, 2002.
- Peters, M. C., Isenberg, B. C., Rowley, J. A., Mooney, D. J. (1998) Release from alginate enhances the biological activity of vascular endothelial growth factor. J. Biomater. Sci. Polym. Ed. 9: pp. 1267-1278 CrossRef
- R. R. Chen, and D. J. Mooney. Host immune competence and local ischemia affects the functionality of engineered vasculature. Microcirculation 14(2) (2007)
- Stabile, E., Burnett, M. S., Watkins, C., Kinnaird, T., Bachis, A., Sala, A., Miller, J. M., Shou, M., Epstein, S. E., Fuchs, S. (2003) Impaired arteriogenic response to acute hindlimb ischemia in CD4-knockout mice. Circulation 108: pp. 205-210 CrossRef
- Couffinhal, T., Silver, M., Zheng, L. P., Kearney, M., Witzenbichler, B., Isner, J. M. (1998) Mouse model of angiogenesis. Am. J. Pathol. 152: pp. 1667-1679
- Hirschi, K. K., Rohovsky, S. A., Beck, L. H., Smith, S. R., D’Amore, P. A. (1999) Endothelial cells modulate the proliferation of mural cell precursors via platelet-derived growth factor-BB and heterotypic cell contact. Circ. Res. 84: pp. 298-305
- Huang, Y. C., Kaigler, D., Rice, K. G., Krebsbach, P. H., Mooney, D. J. (2005) Combined angiogenic and osteogenic factor delivery enhances bone marrow stromal cell-driven bone regeneration. J. Bone Miner. Res. 20: pp. 848-857 CrossRef
- Spatio–temporal VEGF and PDGF Delivery Patterns Blood Vessel Formation and Maturation
Volume 24, Issue 2 , pp 258-264
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- vascular remodeling
- controlled drug delivery
- Industry Sectors