Efficacy of neuroprotectors in patients with tension headaches
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Studies were performed on 126 patients with chronic tension headache (CTH). Patients were divided into two groups — an experimental group (64 patients) and a control group (62). Control patients received standard treatment (tizanidine, fluoxetine, vinpocetin, and manual acupressure of active points in the trapezius muscles and the temporomastoid area of the head); the experimental group also received Mexidol. Clinical and neurophysiological studies, including electromyography, were performed before and after treatment. Comparison of the treatment outcomes in the two groups showed that inclusion of Mexidol into the complex therapy of chronic CTH led to faster and more marked clinical effects.
- A. M. Vein, “Tension headache,” Zh. Nevrol. Psikhiat., 11, 4–7 (1997).
- A. V. Gnezdilov, Diagnosis and Treatment of Phantom and Vertebrogenic Pain Syndromes [in Russian], Author’s abstract of thesis for doctorate in medical sciences Moscow (1999).
- V. E. Grechko, “Tension headache (psychogenic, psychomyogenic headache),” Med. Gazeta, 3, 8–9 (1999).
- A. B. Danilov and A. M. Vein, “Biological and pathological aspects of pain, Nociceptive systems. Methods for investigating pain,” in: Pain and Analgesia [in Russian], A. M. Vein, M. Ya. Avrutskii (eds.), Meditsina, Moscow (1997), pp. 11–46.
- O. A. Kolosova and A. M. Vein, “Headache,” Consilium Medicum (Neurology and Rheumatology), 2, No. 12, 499–501 (2000).
- M. L. Kukushkin and V. K. Reshetnyak, “The mechanism of pathological pain,” Bol’ i ee Lechenie, 11, 2–6 (1999).
- J. Olesen, “Diagnosis of headache,” Nevrol. Zh., 3, 4–11 (1996).
- M. Ashina. L. Bendtsen, R. Jensen, et al., “Muscle hardness in patients with chronic tension-type headache: relation to actual headache state,” Pain, 79, 201–205 (1999). CrossRef
- L. Bendtsen, R. Jensen, and J. Olesen, “A non-selective (amitriptyline), but not a selective (citalopram), serotonin reuptake inhibitor is effective in the prophylactic treatment of chronic tension-type headache,” J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiat., 61, 285–290 (1996). CrossRef
- L. Bendtsen, R. Jensen, and J. Olesen, “Decreased pain detection and tolerance thresholds in chronic tension-type headache,” Arch. Neurol., 53, 373–376 (1996).
- M. Biondi and G. Portuesi, “Tension-type headache: psychosomatic clinical assessment and treatment,” Psychother. Psychosom., 61, 41–64 (1994). CrossRef
- E. Blanchard, “Psychological treatment of benign headache disorders,” J. Consult. Clin. Psychol., 60, 537–551 (1992). CrossRef
- Efficacy of neuroprotectors in patients with tension headaches
Neuroscience and Behavioral Physiology
Volume 37, Issue 5 , pp 523-526
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Consultants Bureau
- Additional Links
- chronic tension headache