Richard Zaner’s “Troubled” Voice In Troubled Voices: Poseur, Posing, Possibilizing?
- Mark J. Bliton
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This essay considers Richard Zaner’s storytelling in Troubled Voices as a form of possibilizing which uses the stories to exemplify important moral themes such as contingency and freedom. Distinguishing between activities of moral discovery through the telling of a story and “posing” in the sense of writing to tell the “moral” of the story, I suggest that something crucial goes on for Zaner in his own tellings. Several of the more insistent implications Zaner reveals about the moral relationships encountered in the activity of clinical ethics consultation are examined in that light, especially regarding this question: is it more beneficial, or harmful, to articulate elements of core meanings and values that are entailed in individual viewpoints, which, prior to an ethics consultant’s participation, may have remained unspoken and possibly unacknowledged?
- Agee, J., Evans, W. (1939) Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.. Houghton Mifflin Co., New York
- Bliton, M.J., Finder, S.G. (1999) Strange, But Not Stranger: The Peculiar Visage of Philosophy in Clinical Ethics Consultation. Human Studies 22: pp. 69-71
- Husserl, E. (1970) The Crisis of European Sciences and Transcendental Phenomenology: An Introduction to Phenomenological Philosophy.. Northwestern University Press, Evanston, IL
- Kestenbaum, V. (1998) Like Faintly shifting Leaves. . .. Human Studies 21: pp. 57-62
- Natanson, M (1986) Anonymity: A Study in the Philosophy of Alfred Schütz.. Indiana University Press, Bloomington
- Nietzsche, F. (1966) Thus Spoke Zarathustra.. Viking Penguin, New York
- Nietzsche, F. Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks. Translated by M. Cowan. Washington, DC: Regnery Publishing, 1962 (reprinted 1996).
- Plato’s Theaetetus, Part I of The Being of the Beautiful.. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Psathas, G. (1998) On Zaner’s Method for Becoming an Ethicist. Human Studies 21: pp. 45-48
- Toombs, S.K. (1998) Articulating the Hard Choices: A Practical Role for Philosophy in the Clinical Context. Human Studies 21: pp. 49-55
- Zaner, R.M (1970) The Way of Phenomenology: Criticism as a Philosophical Discipline.. Pegasus, New York
- Zaner, R.M (1981) The Context of Self: A Phenomenological Inquiry Using Medicine as a Clue.. Ohio University Press, Athens, OH
- Zaner, R.M. (1981) The Disciplining of Reason’s Cunning: Kurt Wolff’s Surrender and Catch. Human Studies 4: pp. 365-389
- Zaner, R.M (1988) Ethics and the Clinical Encounter.. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Zaner, R.M. (1990) Medicine and Dialogue. The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 15: pp. 303-325
- Zaner, R.M (1993) Troubled Voices: Stories of Ethics and Illness.. The Pilgrim Press, Cleveland, OH
- Zaner, R.M. (1993) Voices and Time: The Venture of Clinical Ethics. The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 18: pp. 9-31
- Zaner, R.M. “Illness and the Other”. In: McKenny, G.P., Sande, J.R. eds. (1994) Theological Analyses of the Clinical Encounter. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pp. 185-201
- Zaner, R.M. “Encountering the Other”. In: Cambell, C.S., Lustig, B.A. eds. (1994) Duties to Others.. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dodrecht, pp. 17-38
- Zaner, R.M. “Phenomenology and the Clinical Event”.. In: Daniel, E., Embree, L. eds. (1994) Phenomenology of the Cultural Disciplines.. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pp. 39-66
- Zaner, R.M. (1996) Listening or Telling? Thoughts on Responsibility in Clinical Ethics Consultation. Theoretical Medicine 17: pp. 255-277
- Zaner, R.M. (1998) In Response: What’s It Really All About?. Human Studies 21: pp. 63-70
- Zaner R.M., ed (1999) Performance, Talk, Reflection: What Is Going on in Clinical Ethics Consultation.. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht
- Zaner, R.M (2004) Conversations on the Edge: Narratives of Ethics and Illness.. Georgetown University Press, Washington, DC
- Richard Zaner’s “Troubled” Voice In Troubled Voices: Poseur, Posing, Possibilizing?
Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 25-53
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- clinical ethics
- moral experience
- moral imagination
- Mark J. Bliton (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Clinical and Research Ethics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, 37232-4350, U.S.A.