A Safe Space to Speak Above the Silences
- Roxana Llerena-Quinn
- … show all 1 hide
A few years ago two social scientists attended a faculty development course on cultural awareness that my colleagues and I offered to medical school faculty. Their research, reported in their paper in this collection, “lifts the hood” on the course, as we tried to do with each other in order to allow us, the faculty, to see ourselves and the course through the eyes of others. Their inclusionary approach of engaging all the voices offers an additional feedback loop now as they invite me to share some comments on their paper and on the course. The process of producing this essay evokes many possibilities; not only for the course, but also regarding the inherent value of making space for voice and reflection in the construction of knowledge. Unavoidably, my comments on the previous article are colored by the perspective of a behavioral health clinician, just one lens of many possible others in the broader discussion of health.
Currently, in the United States, we are at a crossroads as a re
- Andrulis Dennis P, Siddiqui Nadia J, Purtle Jonathan P, Duchon Lisa 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010: Advancing health equity for racially and ethnically diverse populations. Washington, DC: Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. Uploaded April 14, 2013, http://www.jointcenter.org/hpi/sites/all/files/PatientProtection_PREP_0.pdf.
- Bullon, Antonio, Mary-Jo DelVecchio Good, and Elizabeth Carpenter-Song 2011 The Paper Life of Minority and Low-Income Patient Care. In M. Good, S. Willen, S. Hannah, K. Vickery, L. Park, eds. Shattering Culture: American Medicine Responds to Cultural Diversity, pp. 200-216. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Cook Benjamin L, Barry Colleen L, Busch Susan H. 2013. Racial/ethnic disparity trends in children’s mental health care access and expenditures from 2002 to 2007. Health Services Research. 48 (1): 129–149. CrossRef
- Hafferty, Frederic W 1998 Beyond Curriculum Reform: Confronting Medicine’s Hidden Curriculum. Academic Medicine 73:403-407. CrossRef
- Mishler, Elliot 1984 The Discourse of Medicine: The Dialectics of Medical Interviews. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Smedley B.E., A.Y. Stith, A.R. Nelson 2003 Unequal Treatment: Confronting Ethnic and Racial Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- Tervalon, Melanie and Jann Murray-García 1998 Cultural Humility Versus Cultural Competence: A Critical Distinction in Defining Physician Training Outcomes in Multicultural Education. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 9(2):117-125. CrossRef
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 2001 Mental Health: Culture, Race, Ethnicity—Supplement to Mental Health: Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: Government Printing Office.
- A Safe Space to Speak Above the Silences
Culture, Medicine, and Psychiatry
Volume 37, Issue 2 , pp 340-346
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Boston Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Ave., Fegan 8, Boston, MA, 02115, USA