Introduction to John Wild’s “Marxist humanism and existential philosophy”
- Hwa Yol Jung
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This essay was read by Wild at the Annual Meeting of the Eastern Division of the American Philosophical Association held in Philadelphia on December 27–29, 1966. In my Wild file, I had a carbon copy of the essay he sent to me since he knew that I would be interested in what he had to say. I retyped it with a carbon copy because I wanted to preserve his original copy.
In their The Promise of Phenomenology (2006: 269), Sugarman and Duncan mention that Wild “almost certainly” had given an undergraduate course on “Marxism and Existentialism” in the fall of 1966 when I began my post-doctoral fellowship in philosophy at Yale with the intention of studying phenomenology in earnest with Wild. I wonder if they tried to check with the Yale registrar’s office to make this fact certain. In the fall of 1966, I remember sitting only in his seminar on “Freedom and Responsibility” where I read Wild’s book Existence and the World of Freedom (1963) with utmost care.
It is fair to say that the mid-twentiet ...
- Aron, Raymond (1965) Marxism and the existentialists. Harper and Row, New York
- Camus, Albert. 1956. The rebel. (trans: Anthony, Bower.). New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Desan, Wilfrid (1965) The Marxism of Jean-Paul Sartre. Doubleday, Garden City
- Djilas, Milovan (1957) The new class: An analysis of the communist system. Frederick A. Praeger, New York
- Flynn, Thomas R (1984) Sartre and Marxist existentialism. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Fromm, Erich (1961) Marx’s concept of man. Frederick Ungar, New York
- Fromm, Erich eds. (1965) Socialist humanism: An international symposium. Doubleday, Garden City
- James, William (1909) A pluralistic universe. New York, Longmans, Green
- James, William (1911) Memories and studies. New York, Longmans, Green
- Kierkegaard, Søren. 1962. The present age. (trans: Alexander Dru.). New York: Harper and Row.
- Kolakowski, Leszek. 1968. Toward a Marxist humanism: Essays on the left today. (trans: Jane Zielonko Peel.). New York: Grove Press.
- Kolakowski, Leszek. 1978. Main currents of Marxism, 3 vols. (trans: Falla, P. S.). Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Lukács, Georg. 1971. History and class consciousness: Studies in Marxist dialectics. (trans: Rodney Livingstone.). Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Marković, Mihailo (1974) From affluence to Praxis: Philosophy and social criticism. University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor
- Marx, Karl. 1964a. Early writings. (trans: and ed. Bottomore, T. B. with “Foreword” by Erich Fromm.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Marx, Karl. 1964b. Selected writings in sociology and social philosophy. Newly (trans: Bottomore, T. B. and ed. by Bottomore and Maximilien Rubel with an introduction and with a foreword by Erich Fromm.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- McBride, William L (1991) Sartre’s political theory. Indiana University Press, Bloomington
- Merleau-Ponty, Maurice. 1973. Adventures of the dialectic. (trans: Joseph Bien.). Evanston: Northwestern University Press.
- Miller, James (1979) History and human existence: From Marx to Merleau-Ponty. University of California Press, Berkeley
- Novack, George eds. (1966) Existentialism versus Marxism: Conflicting views on humanism. Dell, New York
- Paci, Enzo. 1972. The function of the sciences and the meaning of man. (trans: Paul Piccone and James E. Hansen.). Evanston: Northwestern University Press.
- Petrović, Gajo (1967) Marxism in the mid-twentieth century. Doubleday, Garden City
- Poster, Mark (1975) Existential Marxism in postwar France: From Sartre to Althusser. Princeton University Press, Princeton
- Sartre, Jean-Paul (1960) Critique de la raison dialectique, vol. 1: Théorie des ensembles pratiques. Gallimard, Paris
- Sartre, Jean-Paul. 1963. Search for a method. (trans: Hazel E. Barnes.). New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Sartre, Jean-Paul. 1974. Between existentialism and Marxism. (trans: John Mathews.). London: New Left Books.
- Schaff, Adam (1963) A philosophy of man. Monthly Review Press, New York
- Schrag, Calvin O (1992) The resources of rationality: A response to the postmodern challenge. Indiana University Press, Bloomington
- Stewart, John eds. (1998) The Debate between Sartre and Merleau-Ponty. Northwestern University Press, Evanston
- Sugarman, Richard I, Duncan, Roger B eds. (2006) The promise of phenomenology: Posthumous papers of John Wild. Lexington Books, Lanham
- Tiryakian, Edward A (1962) Sociologism and existentialism: Two perspectives on the individual and society. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs
- Tiryakian, Edward (1965) Existential phenomenology and the sociological tradition. American Sociological Review 30: pp. 674-688 CrossRef
- Wild, John (1963) Existence and the world of freedom. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs
- Introduction to John Wild’s “Marxist humanism and existential philosophy”
Continental Philosophy Review
Volume 44, Issue 3 , pp 321-328
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Hwa Yol Jung (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA, USA