Strict Finitism and the Happy Sorites
- Ofra Magidor
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Call an argument a ‘happy sorites’ if it is a sorites argument with true premises and a false conclusion. It is a striking fact that although most philosophers working on the sorites paradox find it at prima facie highly compelling that the premises of the sorites paradox are true and its conclusion false, few (if any) of the standard theories on the issue ultimately allow for happy sorites arguments. There is one philosophical view, however, that appears to allow for at least some happy sorites arguments: strict finitism in the philosophy of mathematics. My aim in this paper is to explore to what extent this appearance is accurate. As we shall see, this question is far from trivial. In particular, I will discuss two arguments that threaten to show that strict finitism cannot consistently accept happy sorites arguments, but I will argue that (given reasonable assumptions on strict finitistic logic) these arguments can ultimately be avoided, and the view can indeed allow for happy sorites arguments.
- Boolos, G (1984) Don’t eliminate cut. Journal of Philosophical Logic 13: pp. 373-378 CrossRef
- Boolos, G (1991) Zooming down the slippery slope. Nous 25: pp. 695-706 CrossRef
- Buss, S. (1998a). An introduction to proof theory. In Buss, S. (ed.), Handbook of Proof Theory. Elsevier.
- Buss, S. (1998b). First-order proof theory of arithmetic. In Buss, S. (ed.), Handbook of Proof Theory, Elsevier.
- Dedekind, R. (1963) Essays on the Theory of Numbers, translated by Beman, W. Dover Publications.
- Dummett, M (1975) Wang’s paradox. Synthese 30: pp. 301-324 CrossRef
- Dummett, M. (1977). Elements of Intuitionism. Oxford University Press.
- Fara, D (2001) Phenomenal Continua and the Sorites. Mind 110: pp. 905-935 CrossRef
- Frege, G. (1974). The Foundations of Arithmetic, translated by Austin, J.L. Oxford University Press.
- Magidor, O (2007) Strict finitism refuted?. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society CVII: pp. 403-411
- Read, S, Wright, C (1985) Hairier than Putnam thought. Analysis 45: pp. 56-58 CrossRef
- Tennant, N. (1997). The Taming of the True, Oxford University Press.
- Wright, C (1982) Strict Finitism. Synthese 51: pp. 203-282 CrossRef
- Strict Finitism and the Happy Sorites
Journal of Philosophical Logic
Volume 41, Issue 2 , pp 471-491
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Sorites paradox
- Strict finitism
- Cut elimination
- Ofra Magidor (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Oxford (Balliol College), Oxford, OX1 3BJ, UK