Parametric Analysis of Acoustic Emission Signals for Evaluating Damage in Composites Using a PVDF Film Sensor
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
With the increased utilization of advanced composites in strategic industries, the concept of Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) with its inherent advantages is gaining ground over the conventional methods of NDE and NDI. The most attractive feature of this concept is on-line evaluation using embedded sensors. Consequently, development of methodologies with identification of appropriate sensors such as PVDF films becomes the key for exploiting the new concept. And, of the methods used for on-line evaluation acoustic emission has been most effective. Thus, Acoustic Emission (AE) generated during static tensile loading of glass fiber reinforced plastic composites was monitored using a Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) film sensor. The frequency response of the film sensor was obtained with pencil lead breakage tests to choose the appropriate band of operation. The specimen considered for the experiments were chosen to characterize the differences in the operation of the failure mechanisms through AE parametric analysis. The results of the investigations can be characterized using AE parameter indicating that a PVDF film sensor was effective as an AE sensor used in structural health monitoring on-line.
- H. Luo and S. Hanagud, PVDF film sensor and its applications in damage detection, J. Aerospace Eng. 12(1), pp. 23–30 (1999). CrossRef
- R. G. Swartz and J. D. Plummer, On the generation of high-frequency acoustic energy with polyvinylidene fluoride, IEEE Trans. Sonics Ultrasonics SU-27(6), pp. 295–303 (1980).
- D. A. Hutchins and G. Hayward, Related field of ultrasonic transducer, Physical Acoustics, Vol. XIX, Academic Press, New York, pp.1–80.
- Y. Bar-Cohen, X. Tianji, and L. Shyh-Shiuh, Polymer piezoelectric transducers for ultrasonic NDE, NDTnet, Vol. 1(09), September 1996.
- C. K. Lee and C. K. Moon, Model sensors/actuators, J. Appl. Mech. 57, pp. 434–441 (1990).
- S. V. Hanagud, S. G. Savanur, G. L. Nageshbabu, C. C. Won, and A. V. Srinivasan, Model analysis with PVDF films and piezo ceramic transducers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Aerospace Division Publication AD v-24 ASME, New York, pp. 19–24.
- J. F. Cambell, E. G. Vanderheiden, L. A. Martinez, D. S. Cairns, and M. G. Abdallah, A multi-purpose sensor for composite laminates based on a piezo-electric film, J. Composite Mater. 26(3), pp. 334–349 (1992).
- R. Stiffler and E. G. Henneke, The application of polyvinylidene fluoride as an acoustic emission transducer for fibrous composite materials, Mater. Eval. 41(7), pp. 956–960 (1983).
- L. Gaul and S. Hurlebaus, Determination of the impact on a plate by piezoelectric film sensors, Arch. Appl. Mech. 69, pp 691–701 (1999). CrossRef
- M. A. Hamstad, A review: Acoustic emission, a tool for composite-materials studies, Exp. Mech. (March), 26(1), pp. 7–13 (1986).
- G. D. Sims, G. D. Dean, B. E. Read, and B. C. Western, Assessment of damage in GRP laminates by stress wave emission and dynamic mechanical measurements, J. Mater. Sci. (JMTSA) 12(11), pp. 2329–2342 (1977).
- S. Barre and M. L. Benzeggagh, On the use of acoustic emission to investigate damage mechanisms in glass-fiber-reinforced polypropylene, Composites Sci. Technol. 52, pp. 369–376 (1994). CrossRef
- T. M. Ely and E. K. Hill, Longitudinal splitting and fiber breakage characterization in graphite/epoxy using acoustic emission data, Mater. Eval. 53(2), pp. 288–294 (1995).
- A. C. Barnes and G. Ramirez, Acoustic emission testing of carbon fiber composite offshore drilling raiser, Proceedings of the AECM Conference, San Antonio, TX, pp. 13–22 (1998).
- S. Huguet, N. Godin, R. Gaertner, L. Salmon, and D. Villard, Use of acoustic emission to identify damage modes in glass fiber reinforced polyester, Composite Sci. Technol. 62, pp. 1433–1444 (2002). CrossRef
- H. N. Bar, M. R. Bhat, and C. R. L. Murthy, Identification of failure modes in GFRP using P VDF film sensor: Artificial Neural Network Approach, Composite Struct. 65(2), pp. 231–237, (2004). CrossRef
- M. A. Hamstad, On use of piezoelectric polymers as wide band acoustic emission displacement sensors for composites, Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Coustic Emissions from Composite Materials (AECM-5), The American Society for Nondestructive Testing, Inc., Sundsvall, Sweden, pp. 111–119, 1995.
- J. R. Wadim, Acoustic Emission Application, Dunegan Endevco, San Juan capistrano, CA, 1978.
- M. R. Bhat, M. A. Majeed, and C. R. L. Murthy, “Characterization of fatigue damage in unidirectional GFRP composite through acoustic emission signal analysis,” NDT&E Int. 27(1), pp. 27–32 (1994).
- M. Johnson and P. Gudmundson, Broad-band transient recording and characterization of acoustic emission events in composite laminates, Composites Sci. Technol. 60, pp. 2803–2818 (2000). CrossRef
- M. Johnson, Waveform based clustering and classification of AE transients in composite laminates using principal component analysis, NDT&E Int. 35, pp. 367–376 (2002).
- M. Johnson and P. Gudmundson, Experimental and theoretical characterization of acoustic emission transients in composite laminates, Composites Sci. Technol. 61, pp. 1367–1378 (2001).
- Parametric Analysis of Acoustic Emission Signals for Evaluating Damage in Composites Using a PVDF Film Sensor
Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation
Volume 24, Issue 4 , pp 121-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- acoustic emission
- Industry Sectors