A WBAN-based Real-time Electroencephalogram Monitoring System: Design and Implementation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this study, a flexible wireless body area network (WBAN) node platform has been designed and implemented based on the Zigbee technology. In order to provide wide range WBAN for health monitoring, a Zigbee/Internet Gateway (ZiGW) has also been developed rather than using a PDA or a host PC to connect different WBANs by using the Internet as the communication infrastructure. The proposed body sensor node platform promises a cost-effective, flexible platform for developing physical sensor node in real-time health monitoring. The ZiGW can provide an effective method to connect WBAN with the Internet. In this work, we present the implementation of an Electroencephalogram (EEG) monitoring system using the proposed methods. In this proposed system, real-time EEG signals can be remotely monitored by physicians via Internet, and the collected EEG data is stored in the online EEG database which can be shared with physicians or researchers for further analysis.
- Borkar, S., Design challenges of technology scaling. IEEE Micro. 19(4):23–29, 1999. CrossRef
- Istepanian, R. S. H., Jovanov, E., and Zhang, Y. T., Guest Editorial Introduction to the Special Section on M-Health: Beyond Seamless Mobility and Global Wireless Health-Care Connectivity. IEEE Trans on Info. Technol. Biomed. 8(4):405–414, 2004. CrossRef
- MICAz datasheet, http://www.xbow.com/.
- Telos platform website, http://www.tinyos.net/.
- BTnodes website, http://btnode.ethz.ch/.
- iMote website, http://www.intel.com/research/exploratory/motes.htm.
- UbiMon website, http://www.ubimon.org/.
- Hung, K., and Zhang, Y. T., Implementation of a WAP-based telemedicine system for patient monitoring. IEEE trans. Inform. Technol. Biomed. 5:101–107, 2003. CrossRef
- Pavlovic, I., and Miklavcic, D. N., Web-based electronic data collection system to support electrochemotherapy clinical trial. IEEE Trans. on Info. Technol. Biomed. 11(2):222–230, 2007. CrossRef
- Varshney, U., Patient monitoring using infrastructure-oriented wireless LANs. Int. J. Electronic Healthcare. 2(2):149–163, 2006.
- Jovanov, E., Milenkovic, A, ., Otto, C., and Croen, P. C. D., A wireless body area network of intelligent motion sensors for computer assisted physical rehabilitation. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation. 6:2, 2005.
- Milenkovic, A., Otto, C., and Jovanov, E., Wireless sensor networks for personal health monitoring: issues and an Implementation. Computer Communications. 29(13):2521–2533, 2006. CrossRef
- Mehmet, R., Ng, S. W. P., Myo, N. L., Khan, J. Y., and Liu, W., Wireless body sensor network using medical implant band. J. Med. Syst. 31:467–474, 2007. CrossRef
- Otto, C. A., Jovanov, E., and Milenkovick, A., A WBAN-based system for health monitoring at home (pp 20–23). proceddings of the 3rd IEEE-EMBS International Summer School and Symposium on Medical Devices and Biosensors, Boston, USA, 2006. Sept.
- Jovanov, E., Milenković, A., Ottol, C., De Groen, P., Johnson, B., Warren, S., and Taibi, G., A WBAN System for ambulatory monitoring of physical activity and health status: Applications and challenges (pp 3810–3813). proceedings of 27th Annual International Conference of the IEEE-EBMS, Shanghai, China, 2005. Sept.
- Yuce, M. R., Ng, P. C., and Khan, J. Y., Monitoring of physiological parameters from multiple patients using wireless sensor network. J. Med. Syst. 32(5):433–441, 2008. CrossRef
- Farshchi, S., Nuyujukian, P. H., Pesterev, A., Mody, I., and Judy, J. W., A TinyOS-Enabled MICA2-Based wireless neural interface. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 53(7):1416–1424, 2006, July. CrossRef
- Jiang, X., and Wang, X. G., Development of ultra small two-channel system of EEG radio telemetry (pp 60–63). In proceedings of 1st International Conference on Neural Interface and Control Proceedings, Wuhan, China, 2005.
- Liu, C. C., O’Connor, E., and Strohl, K. P., A multichannel, wireless telemetric microsystem for small animal Studies. IEEE Sensors Journal. 6(1):187–202, 2006. CrossRef
- Yazicioglu, R. F., Merken, P., and van Hoof, C., Integrated low-power 24-channel EEG front-end. Electronics Letters. 41(8), 2005.
- Chen, H., Ye, D., and Lee, J. Development of a Portable EEG Monitoring System based on WLAN (pp 460–465). In proceedings of 2007 IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, 2007.
- Chen, H., Ye, D., Kang, Y., and Lee, J., A portable wireless EEG system for Neurofeedback: Design and Implementation. J. Biomed. Eng. Res. 28(4):461–470, 2007.
- Chen, H., and Lee, J., The implementation of a wireless electroencephalogram information system using WLAN. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security. 8(2):166–172, 2008.
- INA128 datasheet, Texas Instruments, http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/ina128.html.
- LMC6464 datasheet, http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LMC6464.html.
- CC2420 datasheet, Texas Instruments, http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/cc2420.htm.
- Antenova Mica chip antenna, http://www.antenova.com.
- W3100A Datasheet, Wiznet, http://www.wiznet.co.kr.
- LAXTHA QEEG-4 User Manual, http://www.laxtha.com.
- A WBAN-based Real-time Electroencephalogram Monitoring System: Design and Implementation
Journal of Medical Systems
Volume 34, Issue 3 , pp 303-311
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Wireless body area network
- Sensor node platform
- Zigbee/Internet gateway
- EEG conditioning
- EEG monitoring
- Industry Sectors