EDI and ERP: A Real-Time Framework for HealthCare Data Exchange
- Joseph M. Woodside
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A framework is presented for Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) in the healthcare industry. As the total cost of healthcare continues to rise and competitive pressures increase, the ability to reduce expenses while at the same time improving overall business characteristics, create an opportunity and necessity for technology usage. The framework addresses current barriers of EDI setup such as cost and flexibility along with ERP communication between entities. A prototype system is created to show feasibility of recent technology improvements and generate a proof of concept for the real-time framework.
- Yen, D.C., Huang, S.-M. (2002) The impact and implementation of XML on business-to-business commerce.. Comput. Stand. Interfaces 24: pp. 347-362 CrossRef
- Electronic Data Interchange. Wikipedia. 8 May 2006. May 2006. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Data_Interchange>.
- New Jersey Institute of Technology. 1995. May 2006. <http://www.njit.edu/v2/Publications/Reports/HINT/0476J.toc.html>.
- The National Coalition on Health Care. 2004. May 2006. <http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml>.
- Pear, R. Health Care, Vexing to Clinton, Is Now at Top of Bush’s Agenda. The New York Times, Jan. 2006.
- National Electronic Data Interchange Transaction Set Implementation Guide. 2003. May 2006. <www.wpc-edi.com>.
- Lianga, H., Xueb, Y. (2004) Electronic data interchange usage in China’s healthcare organizations:the case of Beijing’s hospitals.. Int. J. Inf. Manag. 24: pp. 507-522 CrossRef
- Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange. Oct 1993.
- Department of Health and Human Services. National Standard Health Care Provider Identifier. Federal Register. Volume 63. 1998. <http://aspe.hhs.gov/admnsimp/nprm/npilist.htm>.
- Whiteley, D. (1996) EDI maturity and the competitive edge.. Logistics Inf. Manag. 9: pp. 11-17 CrossRef
- Beard, J.W., Sumner, M. (2004) Seeking strategic advantage in the post-net era: viewing ERP systems from the resource-based perspective.. J. Strateg. Inf. Syst. 13: pp. 129-150 CrossRef
- Themistocleous, M., Irani, Z., et al. ERP Problems and Application Integration Issues: An Empirical Survey Proceedings of the 34th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 2004.
- Themistocleous, M. (2004) Justifying the decisions for EAI implementations:a validated proposition of influential factors.. J. Enterprise Inf. Manag. 17: pp. 85-104 CrossRef
- Stefanou, C.J., Revanoglou, A. (2006) ERP integration in a healthcare environment: A case study.. J. Enterprise Inf. Manag. 19: pp. 115-130 CrossRef
- O’Leary, D. E., Enterprise Resource Planning Systems. Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Cheung, D., and Lee, S. D. et al., Distributed and Scalable XML Document Processing Architecture for E-Commerce Systems. IEEE, 2000.
- Hwang, D., and Kenyon, M., FTP-based EDI vs. Web Services: A Case Study in the Retailer Industry. Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, 2004.
- Lu, E.J., Tsai, R.-H., Chou, S. (2001) An empirical study of XML/EDI.. J. Syst. Software 58: pp. 271-279 CrossRef
- Adams, D., Oracle XML DB Developer’s Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2), 2005.
- Oracle. 10g Release 2 (10.2) 2005.
- EDI and ERP: A Real-Time Framework for HealthCare Data Exchange
Journal of Medical Systems
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 178-184
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer and Information Science, Cleveland State University, College of Business Administration, 44114, Cleveland, OH, USA