Derivation of Transverse Spin-Wave Dynamics from a Kinetic Equation in a Rotating Reference Frame
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In 1997 Fomin challenged the results of several theoretical groups who had predicted that there could be finite damping of spin-waves in the limit T → 0. His method involved deriving a Lagrangian in a reference frame tied to the oscillating magnetization. He claimed to show that there was no diffusive damping (that is, of second order in wave vector q). We reopen this question by examining, under similar conditions, how a kinetic equation behaves in an equivalent reference frame. We arrive at Fomin’s equations modified by inclusion of q2 damping of the spin-wave modes. Our result sharpens and perhaps clarifies the question of the so-called “zero-temperature relaxation.”
- 1. A. E. Meyerovich and K. A. Musaclian, Jour. Low Temp. Phys., 89, 781 (1992); 94, 249 (1994); 95, 789 (1994).
- 2. W. J. Mullin and J. W. Jeon, Jour. Low Temp. Phys., 88, 433 (1992).
- 3. O. Buu, D. Clubb, R. Nyman, J. R. Owers-Bradley, and R. Konig, Jour. Low Temp. Phys., 128, 123 (2002); O. Bun, D. Clubb, R. Nyman, R. M. Bowley, J. R. Owers-Bradley, and G. Eska, 128, 143 (2002) and earlier references therein.
- 4. D. I. Golosov and A. E. Ruckenstein, Jour. Low Temp. Phys., 112, 265 (1998).
- 5. V. P. Mincev, Phys. Rev. B 69, 1444 (2004); cond-mat/0404539.
- 6. I. A. Fomin, JETP Lett. 65, 749 (1997).
- 7. H. Akimoto, D. Candela, J. S. Xia, W. J. Mullin, E. D. Adams, and N. S. Sullivan, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 105301 (2003). This paper has a rather complete list of theoretical and experimental references for homogeneous real-spin Fermi fluids.
- 8. P. S. Kondratenko, JETP 19, 742 (1964); I. E. Dzyaloshinskii and P. S. Kondratenko, JETP 43, 1036 (1976).
- 9. D. Forster, Hydrodynamic Fluctuations, Broken Symmetry, and Correlation Functions (Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. Redwood City Ca 1983).
- Derivation of Transverse Spin-Wave Dynamics from a Kinetic Equation in a Rotating Reference Frame
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 138, Issue 1-2 , pp 73-78
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors