Communicating and Philosophizing About Authenticity or Inauthenticity in a Fast-Paced World
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
North Americans live in an increasingly fast-paced world. Not only might this be physically and relationally unhealthy, a fast pace of life might prevent people from living life to its fullest and achieving happiness. Using Heidegger’s theory of Dasein, this study examines how individuals talk about time in holiday letters. Results of the study indicate that many letter writers were living inauthentic lives. According to Heidegger, inauthenticity prevents individuals from experiencing life at its fullest; implications of the findings blending philosophy and communication are discussed.
- Adams, K., Caplan, J., Dell, K., & Masters, C. (2006). How we spend time…Time. http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=22819152&site = ehost-live&scope = site.
- Barry, V (2007) Philosophical thinking about death and dying. Thomson Wadsworth, Belmont, CA
- Burnett, A., & Gold, A. (2002). Fast-paced couples: Dialectic tensions and coping strategies in a busy lifestyle. Paper presented at the National Communication Association convention, November 21–24, Atlanta, GA.
- Christmas letter confessions. (2003). http://dtakata.aspuru.com/archives/2003/12/09/Christmas-letter-confessions.
- Demske, JM (1970) Being, man & death. University Press of Kentucky, Lexington
- Epstein, CF, Kalleberg, AL Time and work: Changes and challenges. In: Cynthia, FE, Arne, LK eds. (2004) Fighting for time: Shifting boundaries of work and social life. Russell Sage Foundation, New York, pp. 1-24
- Gelvin, M (1970) A commentary on Heidegger’s being and time. New York, Harper & Row, Publishers
- Grene, M Martin Heidegger. In: Edwards, P eds. (1967) The encyclopedia of philosophy. Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc & The Free Press, New York, pp. 459-465
- Heidegger, M. (1962). Being and time. Trans John Macquarrie and Edward Robinson. New York: Harper & Row.
- Heidegger, M. (1999). Contributions to philosophy (From Enowning). Trans Parvis Emad and Kenneth Maly. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
- Heidegger, M. (2002). Off the beaten track. Ed and Trans Julian Young and Kenneth Haynes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Inwood, M (1997) Heidegger: A very short introduction. Oxford University Press, Oxford, NY
- Jacobs, JA, Gerson, K Understanding changes in American working time: A synthesis. In: Anne-Nelly, P-C eds. (2004) Thinking time: A multidisciplinary perspective on time. Hogrefe and Huber, Cambridge, MA, pp. 46-76
- Jung, CJ (1966) Two essays on analytical psychology. Collected Works. Pantheon Books, New York
- Kodish, BI (2003) What we do with language—what it does with us. Etc. A Review of General Semantics 60: pp. 383-395
- Landis, JR, Koch, GG (1977) The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 33: pp. 159-174 CrossRef
- Managing stress in a fast-paced world. (2001). http://www.mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns_krames_template.jspzQzpgzEzzSzppdocszSzuszSzcnszSzcontentzSzkrameszSz11174_03zPzhtm.
- Mendez, T. (2005). December 9. Merry Christmas—in 1,000 words, Christian Science Monitor, http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1209/p11s01-lifp.html.
- Perlow, LA (1997) Finding time: How corporations, individuals, and families can benefit from new work practices. Cornell University Press, New York
- Robinson, JP, Godbey, G (1997) Time for life: The surprising ways Americans use their time. Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park, PA
- Roxburgh, S (2006) “I wish we had more time to spend together…”: The distribution and predictors of perceived family time pressures among married men and women in the paid labor force. Journal of Family Issues 27: pp. 529-553 CrossRef
- Ryan, RM, Deci, EL (2001) On happiness and human potentials: A review of research on hedonic and eudaimonic well-being. Annual Review of Psychology 52: pp. 141-166 CrossRef
- Seidel, GJ (1964) Martin Heidegger and the Pre-Socratics. University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln
- Soccio, DJ (2007) Archetypes of wisdom. Thomson, Belmont, CA
- Versenyi, L (1965) Heidegger, being, and truth. Yale University Press, New Haven
- Write a quick Christmas letter. (2003). http://www.signsofthetimes.org.au/archives/2003/december/article12.shtm.
- Writing the perfect Christmas letter. (2003). http://www.ideamarketers.com/library/article.cfm?articleid=33884&from= PROFILE.
- Communicating and Philosophizing About Authenticity or Inauthenticity in a Fast-Paced World
Journal of Happiness Studies
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 395-408
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Fast-paced life
- Industry Sectors