Stem Cell Research and Therapy: The Position of the National Society of Genetic Counselors
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Stem cells’ regenerative capabilities present a unique opportunity to treat human illness and injury. In 2003, the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) issued a position statement supporting stem cell use in research settings. Almost a decade later, in response to legislative and technological developments within the field of stem cell science, NSGC convened a task force to revisit and update its statement on stem cell research. In doing so, the Task Force developed a new statement reaffirming NSGC’s support for stem cell research and endorsed continued stem cell therapy development. NSGC recognizes that the unique potential of stem cell therapy to treat human disease and injury can be realized only through research on a diverse array of stem cell lines drawn from multiple sources, including embryonic, cord blood, and adult cells. NSGC supports the use of stem cells in research and clinical settings when practices adhere to defined ethical and legal guidelines. Available stem cell lines should reflect our genetically diverse population, and donor recruitment should be without discrimination or coercion and include a thorough and dynamic informed consent process.
- National Institutes of Health. (2009a). Federal policy, stem cell information. Retrieved from http://stemcells.nih.gov/policy
- National Institutes of Health. (2009b). Stem cell basics, stem cell information. Retrieved from http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics
- Schwartz, S. D. (2012). Embryonic stem cell trials for macular degeneration: a preliminary report. Lancet, 379(9817), 713–720. CrossRef
- Svendsen, C. N. (2008). Dickey amendment. Encyclopedia of Stem Cell Research, 1, 164–166.
- Stem Cell Research and Therapy: The Position of the National Society of Genetic Counselors
Journal of Genetic Counseling
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 407-410
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Stem cell
- Stem cell research
- Stem cell therapy
- Position statement
- National Society of Genetic Counselors
- Industry Sectors