Simulation of the heat exchange between the supersonic flow and the stationary body in a gas centrifuge
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have made comparative calculations of the heat exchange in the subpersonic flow of gaseous UF6 around the stationary cylindrical body inside the rotating rotor of the gas centrifuge. It has been revealed that the integral heat flux from the gas to the body calculated with the use of the ANSYS-CFX program complex from the viewpoint of the continuum model is much smaller than the heat flow calculated by the Monte Carlo method of direct statistical simulation. Estimates show that under the conditions being considered the boundary layer on the surface of the body has no time to be formed and has a thickness of the order of the mean free path of the gas molecules and, therefore, the use of the methods of continuum mechanics in this region is incorrect. On the contrary, the method of direct statistical simulation permits taking into account the interaction of gas molecules directly with the surface of the streamline body and obtaining more correct results.
- I. D. Boyd, Predicting breakdown of the continuum equations under rarefied flow conditions, in: Proc. 23rd Int. Symp. on Rarefied Gas Dynamics, American Institute of Physics (2003), pp. 899–906.
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshits, Theoretical Physics, Vol. VII. Hydrodynamics [in Russian], Fizmatlit, Moscow (2001).
- G. A. Bird, Molecular Gas Dynamics, Clarendon, Oxford (1976).
- G. A. Bird, Molecular Gas Dynamics and the Direct Simulation of Gas Flows, Claredon, Oxford (1994).
- R. Eymard, T. Gallouet, and R. Herbin, Finite Volume Methods. Techniques of Scientific Computing: Hadbook of Numerical Analysis, North-Holland, Amsterdam (2000).
- S. Villani, E. W. Becker, et al. (Eds.), Uranium Enrichment, Springer-Verlag, New York (1979).
- C. Borgnakke and P. S. Larsen, Statistical collision model for Monte-Carlo simulation of polyatomic gas mixture, J. Comp. Phys., 18, 405–420 (1975). CrossRef
- H. G. Wood and G. Sanders, Rotating compressible flows with internal sources and sinks, J. Fluid Mech., 127, 299–313 (1983). CrossRef
- F. Sharipov, Hypersonic flow of rarefied gas near the brazilian satellite during its reentry into atmosphere, Brazilian J. Physics, 33, No. 2, 398–405 (2003). CrossRef
- Simulation of the heat exchange between the supersonic flow and the stationary body in a gas centrifuge
Journal of Engineering Physics and Thermophysics
Volume 85, Issue 6 , pp 1382-1389
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- gas centrifuge
- Monte Carlo method
- heat exchange
- supersonic flow
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Federal state autonomous educational institution of professional higher education “Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B. N. El’tsin”, 19 Mir Str., Ekaterinburg, 620002, Russia