A Meta-Analytic Review of the Consequences Associated with Work–Family Enrichment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study investigated the relationship between work-to-family enrichment (WFE) and family-to-work enrichment (FWE) with work-related, non work-related, and health-related consequences using meta-analysis.
We conducted a meta-analytic review of 21 studies (54 correlations) for WFE and 25 studies (57 correlations) for FWE.
We found that both WFE and FWE were positively related to job satisfaction, affective commitment, and family satisfaction but not turnover intentions. WFE was more strongly related to work-related variables, whereas FWE was more strongly related to non work-related variables. We also found that both WFE and FWE were positively related to physical and mental health. Additionally, relationships appear to depend on moderating variables including the proportion of women in the sample as well as the construct label (e.g., enrichment, facilitation, positive spillover).
Our work indicates that organizations need to consider ways to not only reduce conflict, but also increase enrichment, which will drive many important outcome variables.
This is the first meta-analysis on the positive side of the work–family interface.
- A Meta-Analytic Review of the Consequences Associated with Work–Family Enrichment
Journal of Business and Psychology
Volume 25, Issue 3 , pp 381-396
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Work–family balance
- Work–family enrichment
- Work–family facilitation
- Positive spillover
- Work–family enhancement
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, The College at Brockport, State University of New York, 350 New Campus Drive, Brockport, NY, 14420, USA
- 2. Department of Psychology, University of Hartford, 200 Bloomfield Avenue, West Hartford, CT, 06117, USA
- 3. Department of People Management, Escuela de Alta Dirección y Administración (EADA), Barcelona, Spain