‘History and First Descriptions’ of Autism: A response to Michael Fitzgerald
- Nick Chown
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Letter to the editor in response to Michael Fitzgerald’s controversial allegation that one of the two pioneers of autism—Leo Kanner—may have been influenced by an earlier paper by the other autism pioneer—Hans Asperger—without acknowledging the debt, and that Kanner may even have been guilty of plagiarising Asperger. In correspondence, Professor Fitzgerald has suggested that I “consider doing my take on the matter”. This is it.
- Asperger, H. (1938). Das psychisch abnormale kind. Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift, 51, 1314–1317.
- Asperger, H. (1944). ‘Autistic psychopathy’ in childhood. In Frith, U. (Ed.) Autism and Asperger syndrome. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Feinstein, A. (2010). A history of autism: Conversations with the pioneers. London: Blackwell. CrossRef
- Fitzgerald, M. (2008a). Autism: Asperger’s syndrome—History and first descriptions, In J. L. Rausch, M. E. Johnson, & M. F. Casanova (Eds.), Asperger’s disorder. New York: Informa Healthcare.
- Fitzgerald, M. (2008b). Creativity, psychosis, autism and the social brain. Last accessed 25 November 2011 at: http://www.intechopen.com/source/pdfs/20041/InTech-Creativity_psychosis_autism_and_the_social_brain.pdf [online].
- Kanner, L. (1943). Autistic disturbances of affective contact. Nervous Child, 2, 217–250.
- Lyons, V., & Fitzgerald, M. (2007). Asperger (1906–1980) and Kanner (1894–1981), the two pioneers of autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 37, 2022–2023. CrossRef
- Morgan, H. (undated). Setting the scene—An introduction to autism and related disorders. Last accessed 25 November 2011 at: http://scholar.googleusercontent.com/scholar?q=cache:zop2bPNQdTkJ:scholar.google.com/+biography+%22leo+kanner%22&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5 [online].
- Naylor, M. L. (2011). History of autism. Last accessed 26 November 2011 at: http://matthewlnaylor.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/history-of-autism/ [online].
- Quayson, A. (2010). Autism, narrative, and emotions: On Samuel Beckett’s Murphy. University of Toronto Quarterly, 79(2), 838–864. CrossRef
- Skuse, D. H. (2011). The extraordinary political world of autism. Brain, 134(8), 2436–2439. CrossRef
- ‘History and First Descriptions’ of Autism: A response to Michael Fitzgerald
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 42, Issue 10 , pp 2263-2265
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Academic ethics
- Asperger’s syndrome
- Industry Sectors
- Nick Chown (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, UK
- 2. Twin Elms, Marston Lane, East Farndon, Market Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16 9SK, UK