Screening for Autism in Young Children with Developmental Delay: An Evaluation of the Developmental Behaviour Checklist: Early Screen
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The ability to identify children who require specialist assessment for the possibility of autism at as early an age as possible has become a growing area of research. A number of measures have been developed as potential screening tools for autism. The reliability and validity of one of these measures for screening for autism in young children with developmental problems was evaluated. The parents of 207 children aged 20–51 months completed the Developmental Checklist-Early Screen (DBC-ES), prior to their child undergoing assessment. Good interrater agreement and internal consistency was found, along with significant correlations with a clinician completed measure of autism symptomatology. High sensitivity was found, with lower specificity for the originally proposed 17-item screening tool and a five-item version.
- Allen, C. W., Silove, N., Williams, K., & Hutchins, P. (2007). Validity of the Social Communication Questionnaire in assessing risk of autism in preschool children with developmental problems. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 37(7), 1272–1278. CrossRef
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. (4th ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association Press.
- Baird, G., Charman, T., Baron-Cohen, S., Cox, A., Swettenham, J., Wheelwright, S., et al. (2000). A screening instrument for autism at 18 months of age: A 6-year follow-up study. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 39(6), 694–702. CrossRef
- Baird, G., Simonoff, E., Pickles, A., Chandler, S., Loucas, T., Meldrum, D., et al. (2006). Prevalence of disorders of the autism spectrum in a population cohort of children in South Thames: The special needs and autism project (SNAP). Lancet, 368(9531), 210–215. CrossRef
- Baron-Cohen, S., Allen, J., & Gillberg, C. (1992). Can autism be detected at 18 months? The needle, the haystack, and the CHAT. British Journal of Psychiatry, 161, 839–843. CrossRef
- Baron-Cohen, S., Cox, A., Baird, G., Swettenham, J., Nightingale, N., Morgan, K., et al. (1996). Psychological markers in the detection of autism in infancy in a large population. British Journal of Psychiatry, 168(2), 158–163.
- Berument, S. K., Rutter, M., Lord, C., Pickles, A., & Bailey, A. (1999). Autism Screening Questionnaire: Diagnostic validity. British Journal of Psychiatry, 175, 444–451.
- Byrt, T., Bishop, J., & Carlin, J. B. (1993). Bias, prevalence and kappa. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 46(5), 423–429. CrossRef
- Chakrabarti, S., & Fombonne, E. (2001). Pervasive developmental disorders in preschool children. Journal of the American Medical Association, 285(24), 3093–3099. CrossRef
- Chakrabarti, S., & Fombonne, E. (2005). Pervasive developmental disorders in preschool children: Confirmation of high prevalence. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 162(6), 1133–1141. CrossRef
- Dietz, C., Swinkels, S., van Daalen, E., van Engeland, H., & Buitelaar, J. K. (2006). Screening for autistic spectrum disorder in children aged 14–15 months. II: Population screening with the Early Screening of Autistic Traits Questionnaire (ESAT). Design and general findings. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36(6), 713–722. CrossRef
- Eaves, L., Wingert, H., & Ho, H. H. (2006a). Screening for autism: Agreement with diagnosis. Autism, 10(3), 229–242. CrossRef
- Eaves, L. C., Wingert, H. D., Ho, H. H., & Mickelson, E. C. R. (2006b). Screening for autism spectrum disorders with the Social Communication Questionnaire. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 27(Suppl. 2), S95–S103. CrossRef
- Edwards, S., Fletcher, P., Garman, M., Hughes, A., Letts, C., & Sinka, I. (1985). Reynell Developmental Language Scales III (3rd ed.). Windsor, UK: NFER-Nelson.
- Einfeld, S. L., & Tonge, B. J. (1995). The Developmental Behaviour Checklist: The development and validation of an instrument to assess behavioral and emotional disturbance in children and adolescents with mental retardation. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 25(2), 81–104. CrossRef
- Einfeld, S. L., & Tonge, B. J. (2002). Manual for the Developmental Behaviour Checklist: Primary carer version (DBC-P) and teacher version (DBC-T) (2nd ed.). Clayton, Melbourne, Australia: Monash University Centre for Developmental Psychiatry and Psychology.
- Gray, K. M., & Tonge, B. J. (2005). Screening for autism in infants and preschool children with developmental delay. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 39(5), 378–386. CrossRef
- Lord, C., Risi, S., Lambrecht, L., Cook, E. H., Leventhal, B. L., DiLavore, P. C., et al. (2000). The Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule-generic: A standard measure of social and communication deficits associated with the spectrum of autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 30(3), 205–223. CrossRef
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., DiLavore, P., & Risi, S. (2001). Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS) manual. Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services.
- Lord, C., Storoschuk, S., Rutter, M., & Pickles, A. (1993). Using the ADI-R to diagnose autism in preschool children. Infant Mental Health Journal, 14(3), 234–252. CrossRef
- McQuisten, A., & Zieren, C. (2006). Clinical experiences with the PDDST-II [Letter to the editor]. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36(4), 577–578. CrossRef
- Robins, D. L., Fein, D., Barton, M. L., & Green, J. A. (2001). The Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers: An initial study investigating the early detection of autism and pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 31(2), 131–144. CrossRef
- Rutter, M., Bailey, A., & Lord, C. (2003a). Social Communication Questionnaire (SCQ). Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services.
- Rutter, M., LeCouteur, A., & Lord, C. (2003b). Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised. Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services.
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J., Bashford, A., Lansing, M. D., & Marcus, L. M. (1990). Individualized assessment and treatment for autistic and developmentally disabled children: Psychoeducational Profile Revised (PEP-R). Austin, TX: Pro-ed.
- Sparrow, S. S., Balla, D., & Cicchetti, D. (1984). Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Services.
- Swinkels, S. H., Dietz, C., van Daalen, E., Kerkhof, I. H., van Engeland, H., & Buitelaar, J. K. (2006). Screening for autistic spectrum in children aged 14 to 15 months. I: The development of the Early Screening of Autistic Traits questionnaire (ESAT). Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36(6), 723–732. CrossRef
- Wechsler, D. (2002). Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence (3rd ed.). San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.
- Screening for Autism in Young Children with Developmental Delay: An Evaluation of the Developmental Behaviour Checklist: Early Screen
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 38, Issue 6 , pp 1003-1010
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Preschool children
- Developmental delay
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Developmental Psychiatry & Psychology, Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Rd, Clayton, VIC, 3168, Australia
- 2. Centre for Developmental Psychiatry and Psychology, School of Psychology, Psychiatry & Psychology Medicine, Monash University, Clayton, VIC, Australia
- 3. School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
- 4. Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia