Characteristics of Gadolinium Oxide Nanoparticles as Contrast Agents for Terahertz Imaging
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
For the application of gadolinium oxide (Gd2O3) nanoparticles as terahertz contrast agents, their optical properties in a solvent were studied using terahertz time-domain spectroscopy. The power absorption and refractive index of the samples were measured with various concentrations of nanoparticles. The power absorption was extremely large, as much as three orders of magnitude higher than that of water, so that a few ppms of Gd2O3 nanoparticles were distinguished in terms of their power absorption capacity. The results show that the interaction between the terahertz electromagnetic waves and the Gd2O3 nanoparticles is strong enough to allow their exploitation as contrast agents for terahertz medical imaging.
- J.-H. Son, J. Appl. Phys. 105, 102033 (2009). CrossRef
- R.M. Woodward, V.P. Wallace, R.J. Pye, B.E. Cole, D.D. Arnone, E.H. Linfield, and M. Pepper, J. Invest. Dermatol. 120, 72–78 (2003).
- A.J. Fitzgerald, V.P. Wallace, M. Jimenez-Linan, L. Bobrow, R.J. Pye, A.D. Purushotham, and D.D. Arnone, Radiology 239, 533–540 (2006). CrossRef
- P.C. Ashworth, E.Pickwell-MacPherson, E. Provenzano, S.E. Pinder, A.D. Purushotham, M. Pepper and V.P. Wallace, Opt. Express 17, 12444–12454 (2009). CrossRef
- J.-H. Lee, Y.-M. Huh, Y.-W. Jun, J.-W. Seo, J.-T. Jang, H.-T. Song, S. Kim, E.-J. Cho, H.-G. Yoon, J.-S. Suh, and J. Cheon, Nat. Med. 13, 95–99 (2007). CrossRef
- S.J. Oh, J. Kang, I. Maeng, J.-S. Suh, Y.-M. Huh, S. Haam, and J.-H. Son, Opt. Express 17, 3469–3475 (2009). CrossRef
- J. Lee, J. Yang, H. Ko, S.J. Oh, J. Kang, J.-H. Son, K. Lee, S.-W. Lee, H.-G. Yoon, J.-S. Suh, Y.-M. Huh, and S. Haam, Adv. Funct. Mater. 18, 258–264 (2008). CrossRef
- J. Kang, J. Yang, J. Lee, S.J. Oh, S. Moon, H.J. Lee, S.C. Lee, J.-H. Son, D. Kim, K. Lee, J.-S. Suh, Y.-M. Huh, and S. Haam, J. Mater. Chem., 19, 2902–2905 (2009).
- J. Yang, J. Lee, J. Kang, S.J. Oh, H.-J. Ko, J.-H. Son, K. Lee, J.-S. Suh, Y.-M. Huh, and S. Haam, Adv. Mater. 21, 4339–4342 (2009). CrossRef
- J.-L. Bridot, A.-C. Faure, S. Laurent, C. Rivière, C. Billotey, B. Hiba, M. Janier, V. Josserand, J.-L. Coll, L.V. Elst, R. Muller, S. Roux, P. Perriat, and O. Tillement, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 129, 5076–5084 (2007). CrossRef
- J. Paek, C.H. Lee, J. Choi, S.-Y. Choi, A. Kim, J.W. Lee, and K. Lee, Cryst. Growth Des. 7, 1378–1380 (2007). CrossRef
- M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, 7th ed. (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1999)
- L. Duvillaret, F. Garet, J.-F. Roux, and J.-L. Coutaz, IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. 2, 739 (1996). CrossRef
- D. S. Venables, A. Chiu, and C. A. Schmuttenmaer, J. Chem. Phys. 113, 3243 (2000). CrossRef
- P. Patnaik, Handbook of Inorganic Chemicals, (McGraw-Hill Professional, New York, 2002), pp. 305–306.
- J.T. Kindt and C.A. Schmuttenmaer, J. Phys. Chem. 100, 10373 (1996). CrossRef
- S. J. Oh, J. Choi, I. Maeng, J. Y. Park, K. Lee, Y.-M. Huh, J.-S. Suh, S. Haam, and J.-H. Son, Opt. Express 19, 4009–4016 (2011). CrossRef
- Characteristics of Gadolinium Oxide Nanoparticles as Contrast Agents for Terahertz Imaging
Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves
Volume 32, Issue 4 , pp 506-512
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Terahertz time-domain spectroscopy
- Terahertz imaging
- Gadolinium oxide
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory for Terahertz Biophotonics, Department of Physics, University of Seoul, Seoul, 130–743, Korea
- 2. Nanochemistry Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Korea University, Seoul, 136–713, Korea