Undergraduates' Evaluations of Developmental Claims and Their Identification of Information Sources
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Students in a large human development course rated the accuracy of 50 developmental claims. Half of the claims were specifically embedded in the course content, but the remaining claims were not addressed in the course. Students also identified the major information source for each developmental claim rated. From the beginning to the end of the course, students (especially high performers) improved in evaluating the accuracy of course-related developmental claims and increasingly attributed their ratings of these claims to professional information sources. Our study underscores the importance of sensitizing students to the role of research evidence in judging the credibility of claims in general education courses.
- Abraham, C., Sheeran, P., Abrams, D., Spears, R., & Marks, D. (1991). Young people learning about AIDS: A study of beliefs and information sources. Health-Education-Research, 6, 19–29. CrossRef
- Bar-Tal, D., Raviv, A., & Freund, T. (1994). An anatomy of political beliefs: A study of their centrality, confidence, contents, and epistemic authority. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 24, 849–872. CrossRef
- Berg, J. A., & Lipson, J. G. (1999). Information sources, menopause beliefs, and health complaints of midlife Filipinas. Health Care for Women International, 20, 81–92. CrossRef
- Chou, F. Y., Holzemer, W. L., Portillo, C. J., & Slaughter, R. (2004). Self-care strategies and sources of information for HIV/AIDS symptom management. Nursing Research, 53, 332–339. CrossRef
- Freimuth, V. S., Edgar, T., & Hammond, S. L. (1987). College students’ awareness and interpretation of the AIDS risk. Science, Technology, and Human Values, 12, 37–40.
- Herek, G., & Capitanio, J. (1994). Conspiracies, contagion, and compassion: Trust and public reactions to AIDs. AIDS-Education and Prevention, 6, 365–375.
- Hyman, I. A., & Clarke, J. (1991). Institutional violence directed toward children: The case of corporal punishment in schools. In R. Baenninger (Ed.), Targets of violence and aggression: Advances in psychology (pp. 159–209). Oxford, England: North-Holland.
- Koch, N. (1994). Changing times—The effect of the New York Times on college students’ political information and behavior. Social Science Journal, 31, 29–38. CrossRef
- Lashuay, N., Tjoa, T., Zuniga de Nucio, M. L., Franklin, M., Elder, J., & Jones, M. (2000). Exposure to immunization media messages among African American parents. Preventive Medicine: An Intervention Journal Devoted to Practice and Theory, 31, 522–528.
- McDevitt, T. M., & Ormrod, J. E. (2002). Child development and education: A custom edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
- Perry, W. G. (1970). Forms of intellectual and ethical development in the college years: A scheme. New York, NY: Holt, Rinehart, & Winston.
- Roberts, J. S., Connell, C. M., Cisewski, D., Hipps, Y. G., Demissie, S., & Green, R. C. (2003). Differences between African American and Whites in their perceptions of Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer's Disease and Associated Disorders, 17, 19–26. CrossRef
- Ross, M. W., & Carson, J. A. (1988). Effectiveness of distribution of information on AIDS; A national study of sex media in Australia. New York State Journal of Medicine, 88, 239–241.
- Ungan, M., & Yaman, H. (2004). AIDS knowledge and educational needs of technical university students in Turkey. Patient Education and Counseling, 51, 163–167. CrossRef
- Unrau, Y. A., & Beck, A. R. (2004). Increasing research self-efficacy among students in professional academic programs. Innovative Higher Education, 28, 187–204. CrossRef
- Wallace, M. A., & Williams, R. L. (2003). Multiple-choice exams: Explanations for student choices. Teaching of Psychology, 30, 136–138.
- Warner, L. A., Silk, K., Yeaton, W. H., Bargal, D., Janssen, J., & Hill, E. M. (1994). Psychiatrists’ and patients’ views on drug information sources and medication compliance. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 45, 1235–1237.
- Worsley, A. (1989). Perceived reliability of sources of health information. Health Education Research, 4, 367–376. CrossRef
- Undergraduates' Evaluations of Developmental Claims and Their Identification of Information Sources
Innovative Higher Education
Volume 30, Issue 5 , pp 345-360
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- developmental claims
- information sources
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Educational Psychology and Counseling, University of Tennessee, Tennessee, USA
- 2. School Psychology Program, University of Tennessee, Tennessee, USA
- 3. Educational Psychology and Middle Grades Education, Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, USA