Nitrogen Dynamics in the Steeply Stratified, Temperate Lake Verevi, Estonia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The dynamics of different nitrogen compounds and nitrification in diverse habitats of a stratified Lake Verevi (Estonia) was investigated in 2000–2001. Also planktonic N2-fixation (N2fix) was measured in August of the observed years. The nitrogen that accumulated in the hypolimnion was trapped in the non-mixed layer during most of the vegetation period causing a concentration of an order of magnitude higher than in the epilimnion. The ammonium level remained low in the epilimnion (maximum 577 mgN m−3, average 115 mgN m−3) in spite of high concentrations in the hypolimnion (maximum 12223 mgN m−3, average 4807 mgN m−3). The concentrations of NO 2 − and NO 3 − remained on a low level both in the epilimnion (average 0.94 and 9.09 mgN m−3, respectively) and hypolimnion (average 0.47 and 5.05 mgN m−3, respectively). N2fix and nitrification ranged from 0.30 to 2.80 mgN m−3 day−1 and 6.0 to 107 mgN m−3 day−1, respectively; the most intensive processes occurred in 07.08.00 at depths of 2 and 5 m, accordingly. The role of N2fix in the total nitrogen budget of Lake Verevi (in August 2000 and 2001) was negligible while episodically in the nitrogen-depleted epilimnion the N2fix could substantially contribute to the pool of mineral nitrogen. Nitrification was unable to influence nitrogen dynamics in the epilimnion while some temporary coupling with ammonium dynamics in the hypolimnion was documented.
- Ahlgren, I., Sörensson, F., Waara, T., Vrede, K. (1994) Nitrogen budgets in relation to microbial transformations in lakes. Ambio 23: pp. 367-377
- H. L., Golterman (1975) Physiological limnology. An approach to the physiology of lake ecosystems. Elsevier, Amsterdam, Oxford, New York
- Gorlenko, V. M., G. A. Dubinina & C. I. Kuznetsov, 1977. Ekologija vodnyh mikroorganizmov [Ecology of water micro-organisms]. Moscoy.
- Grasshoff, K.,, Ehrhardt K. Kremling, M. (1983) Methods of Seawater Analysis. Verlag Chemie, Weinheim
- Hall, G. H. (1982) Apparent and measured rates of nitrification in the hypolimnion of a mesotrophic lake. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 43: pp. 542-547
- Hansen, H. P., Koroleff, F. Determination of nutrients. In: Grasshoff, K., Kremling, M., Ehrhardt, K. eds. (1999) Methods of Seawater Analysis. WILEY-VCH, Weinheim New York Chichester. Brisbane. Singapore. Torontopp. 600
- Henriksen, K., Blackburn, T. H., Lomstein, B. A., McRoy, C. P. (1993) Rates of nitrification, distribution of nitrifying bacteria and inorganic N fluxes in northern Bering-Chukchi shelf sediments. Continental Shelf Research 13: pp. 629-651 CrossRef
- Howarth, R. W., Cole, J. J., Marino, R., Lane, J. (1988) Nitrogen fixation in freshwater, estuarine and marine ecosystems. 1. Rates and importance. Limnology and Oceanography 33: pp. 669-687
- Joye, S. B., Connell, T. L., Miller, L. G., Oremland, R. S. (1999) Oxidation of ammonia and methane in an alkaline, saline lake. Limnology and Oceanography 44: pp. 178-188
- Kangro, K., R. Laugaste, P. Nõges & I. Ott, Long-term changes and special features of seasonal development of phytoplankton in a strongly stratified hypertrophic lake (Present issue).
- Knowles, R., Lean, D. R. S., Chan, Y. K. (1981) Nitrous oxide concentrations in lakes: Variations with depth and time. Limnology and Oceanography 26: pp. 855-866
- Kõiv, T. & K. Kangro, Resource ratios and phytoplankton species composition in a strongly stratified lake (Present issue).
- Koroleff, F., 1982. Total and organic nitrogen. In K. Grasshoff (ed), Methods of Seawater Analysis. Verlag chemie, 162–168.
- Kostyaev, V. J., 1986. Biologiya i èkologiya azotfiksiruyushchih sinezelenyh vodoroslej presnyh vod. Leningrad. [Biology and ecology of nitrogen fixing cyanobacteria from inland water].
- Lampert, W. & U. Sommer, 1997. Limnoecology: The Ecology of Lakes and Streams. Oxford University Press.
- Nõges, P. Water and nutrient mass balance of the partly meromictic temperate Lake Verevi (Present issue).
- Ott, I., T. Kõiv, P. Nõges, A. Kisand, A. Järvalt & E. Kirt. General description of partly meromictic hypertrophic Lake Verevi, its ecological status, changes during the past eight decades and restoration problems (Present issue).
- Owens, N. J. P. (1986) Estuarine nitrification: A naturally occurring fluidized bed reaction?. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 22: pp. 31-44
- Présing, M., Herodek L. Vörös, S., Kobor, I. (1996) Nitrogen fixation, ammonium and nitrate uptake during a bloom of Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii in Lake Balaton. Archiv für Hydrobiologie 136: pp. 553-562
- Priscu, J. C., Spigel M. Gibbs, R. H., Downes, M. T. (1986) A numerical analysis of hypolimnetic nitrogen and phosphorus transformations in Lake Rotoiti, New Zealand: A geothermally influenced lake. Limnology and Oceanography 31: pp. 812-831
- Scheffer, M. (1998) Ecology of Shallow Lakes. Chapman & Hall, London
- Sprent, J. I. (1987) The Ecology of the Nitrogen Cycle. Cambridge University Press, USA
- Stewart, W. D. P., Fitzgerald, G. P., Burris, R. M. (1967) In situ studies on N2 fixation using the acetylene reduction technique. Proceedings of the Nnational Academy of Sciences of the U.S.A. 58: pp. 2071-2078
- Stolp, H. (1996) Microbial Ecology: Organisms, Habitats, Activities. Cambridge University Press, USA
- Tammert, H., V. Kisand & T. Nõges, Bacterioplankton abundance and activity in a small hypertrophic stratified lake (Present issue).
- Tõnno, I., Nõges, T. (2003) Nitrogen fixation in a large shallow lake: rates and initiation conditions. Hydrobiologia 490: pp. 23-30 CrossRef
- Voytek, M. A., Priscu, J. C., Ward, B. B. (1999) The distribution and relative abundance of ammonia-oxidizing bacteria in lakes of the McMurdo Dry Valley, Antarctica. Hydrobiologia 401: pp. 113-130 CrossRef
- Wetzel, R., 1983. Limnology. Saunders College Publishing.
- Williams, P. J. le B., D. N. Thomas & C. S. Reynolds (eds), (2002) Phytoplankton Productivity. Carbon Assimilation in Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. Blackwell Science, UK 109–141.
- Zingel, P., Vertical and seasonal dynamics of planktonic ciliates in a strongly stratified hypertrophic lake (Present issue).
- Nitrogen Dynamics in the Steeply Stratified, Temperate Lake Verevi, Estonia
Volume 547, Issue 1 , pp 63-71
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- stratified lake
- nitrogen dynamics
- planktonic N2-fixation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Zoology and Botany, Võrtsjärv Limnological Station, Estonian Agricultural University, 61101, Rannu, Tartu County, Estonia
- 2. Institute of Zoology and Hydrobiology, University of Tartu, Vanemuise 46, 51014, Tartu, Estonia