Impaired larval development in broods of eelpout (Zoarces viviparus) in Danish coastal waters
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Eelpouts (Zoarces viviparus), a viviparous fish, were sampled in Danish coastal waters during October and November 2001 and 2002, in ten different areas, which are receiving effluents from cities and industry to more or minor degree. The presence of gross abnormalities in eelpout broods has been suggested to be a useful biomarker of the impact of hazardous substances on fish reproduction in the marine environment as chronic exposure to various substances has the potential to induce severe developmental defects in fish embryos and larvae. Relatively high frequencies of female eelpouts (20–53) with elevated levels (>5) of larvae with developmental defects in the broods were found in four shallow fjords with effluents from larger cities and industry compared to areas. Deformations like spiral or bend shapes of the spinal axis, cranio-facial defects, eye lesions or loss of eyes were the dominating types. In some of␣the areas with the highest incidences of developmental defects, the adults had significantly enlarged livers, which may also be a possible effect caused by contaminant exposure. In two of the areas, relatively high frequencies of the broods contained larvae, which had died late but without any visible developmental defects. These two areas were affected by severe oxygen depletion prior to sampling time suggesting that examination of broods in the eelpout may include not only impact of hazardous substances but also effect of eutrophication-related problems on fish reproduction in the marine environment.
- Bodammer, J.E. (1993) The teratological and pathological effects of contaminants on embryonic and larvae fishes exposed as embryos: a brief review. Am. Fish Soc. Symp. 14: pp. 77-84
- Celander, M., Naf, C., Bromandj, D., Förlin, L. (1994) Temporal aspects of induction of hepatic cytochrome-P450 and conjugating enzymes in the viviparus blenny (Zoarces viviparus) treated with petroleum-hydrocarbons. Aquat Toxicol 29: pp. 183-196 CrossRef
- Christiansen, T., Korsgaard, B., Jespersen, Å. (1998) Induction of vitellogenin synthesis by nonylphenol and 17b-estradiol and effects on the testicular structure in the eelpout Zoarces viviparus. Mar. Environ. Res. 46: pp. 141-144 CrossRef
- Davis, W.P. Evidence for developmental and skeletal responses as potential signals of endocrine disrupting compounds in fishes. In: Rolland, R.M., Gilbertson, M., Peterson, R.E. eds. (1997) Chemically Induced Alterations in Functional Development and Reproduction of Fishes.. SETAC Press, Pensacola FL
- Detlefsen, V., Westernhagen, H., Cameron, P. (1996) Malformations in North Sea pelagic fish embryos during the period 1984–1995.. ICES J Mar. Sci. 53: pp. 1024-1035 CrossRef
- Fischer, P., Rademacher, K., Kils, U. (1992) In situ investigations on the respiration and behaviour of the eelpout Zoarces viviparus under short term hypoxia. Mar. Ecol. Prog. 88: pp. 181-184
- Gercken, J., Sordyl, H. (2002) Intersex in feral marine and freshwater fish from northeastern Germany. Mar. Environ. Res. 54: pp. 651-655 CrossRef
- Götting, K.J. (1976) Forplanzung und oocyten-entwicklung bei der aalmutter (Zoarces viviparus) (Pisces, Osteichthyes). Helgoländer Wiss. Meeresunters. 28: pp. 71-89
- ICES, 1996. Common Diseases and Parasites of Fish in the North Atlantic: Training Guide for Identification. ICES Tech. Mar. Environ. Sci. No. 19. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES), Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Jacobsson, A., Neuman, E., Thoresson, G. (1986) The viviparous blenny as an indicator of environmental effects of harmful substances. Ambio 15: pp. 236-238
- Jungersen H.F.E. (1889). Kjønsorganernes udvikling hos benfiskene. Ph.D. thesis from Copenhagen University, Wilhelm Priors Hof-boghandel, København, Denmark, 139 pp (in Danish).
- Kolster, R. (1905) Über die embruotrophe: speciell beiZoarces viviparus. Festschrift für Palmén 4: pp. 1-55
- Korsgaard, B., Andersen, F.O. (1985) Embryonic nutrition, growth and energetics in Zoarces viviparus L as indication of a maternal–fetal trophic relationship. J. Comp. Physiol. B 155: pp. 437-444 CrossRef
- Korsgaard, B. (1997) Ammonia and urea in the maternal–fetal trophic relationship of the viviparous blenny (eelpout) Zoarces viviparus. Physiol. Zool. 70: pp. 712-717
- Larsson, D.G.J., Hällman, H., Förlin, L. (2000) More male fish embryos near a pulp mill. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 19: pp. 2911-2917 CrossRef
- MADS 2003. Danish marine monitoring data of physico-chemical and biological elements are available from the national database for marine data (MADS) at www.dmu.dk.
- Pörtner, H.O., Berdal, B., Blust, R., Brix, O., Coloisimo, A., Wackter, B., Guiliani, A., Johansen, T., Fisher, T., Knust, R., Lannig, G., Naevdal, G., Nedenes, A., Nyhammer, G., Sartoris, F.J., Serendero, I., Sirabella, P., Thorkildsen, S., Zarhartev, M. (2001) Climate induced temperature effects on growth performance, fecundity and recruitment in marine fish: developing a hypothesis for cause and effect relationship in Atlantic cod (Gadus murhua) and common eelpout (Zoarces viviparus). Continent. Shelf Res. 21: pp. 1975-1997 CrossRef
- Rasmussen, T.H., Andreassen, T.K., Pedersen, S.N., Vander Ven, L.T.M., Bjerregaard, P., Korsgaard, B. (2002) Effects of waterborne exposure of octylphenol and oestrogen on pregnant viviparous eelpout (Zoarces viviparus) and her embryosin ovario.. J. Exp.Biol. 205: pp. 3857-3876
- Neuman, E., Sandström, O., Thoresson, G. (1999) Guidelines for Coastal Fish Monitoring. National Board of Fisheries, Institute of Coastal Research
- Oost, R., Beyer, J., Vermeulen, N.P.E. (2003) Fish bioaccumulation and biomarkers in environmental risk assessment: a review. Environ. Toxicol. Pharm. 13: pp. 57-149 CrossRef
- Vetemaa M. (1999). Reproduction biology of the vivparous blenny (Zoarces vivparus L.). Rep. Nat. Board Fish. Swed. 2: 81–96, Fiskeriverket, Göteborg, Sweden.
- Vetemaa, M., Förlin, L., Sandström, O. (1997) Chemical effluent impacts on reproduction and biochemistry in a North Sea population of viviparous blenny (Zoarces viviparus). J. Aquat. Ecosys. Stress Rec. 6: pp. 33-41 CrossRef
- Weis, J.S., Weis, P. (1989) Effects of environmental pollutants on early fish development. Rev. Aquat. Sci. 1: pp. 45-73
- Ådjers K., Appelberg M., Eschbaum R., Lappalainen A. and Lozys L. (2001). Coastal fish monitoring in Baltic reference areas 2000. Kala- ja riistaraportteja 229: 1–14, Helsinki, Finland.
- Impaired larval development in broods of eelpout (Zoarces viviparus) in Danish coastal waters
Fish Physiology and Biochemistry
Volume 30, Issue 1 , pp 37-46
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- embryo development
- viviparous blenny