Incentive effects of funding contracts: an experiment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We examine the incentive effects of funding contracts on entrepreneurial effort and on allocative efficiency. We experiment with funding contracts that differ in the structure of investor repayment and, thus, in their incentives for the provision of entrepreneurial effort. Theoretically the replacement of a standard debt contract by a repayment-equivalent non-monotonic contract reduces effort distortions and increases efficiency. Likewise, distortions can be mitigated by replacing outside equity by a repayment-equivalent standard-debt contract. We test both hypotheses in the laboratory. Our results reveal that the incentive effects of funding contracts must be experienced before they are reflected in observed behavior. With sufficient experience, observed behavior is either consistent with or close to theoretical predictions and supports both hypotheses. If we allow for entrepreneur-sided manipulations of project outcomes, we find that non-monotonic contracts lose much of their appeal.
- Aghion, P., & Howitt, P. (1992). A model of growth through creative destruction. Econometrica, 60(2), 323–351. CrossRef
- Aghion, P., & Howitt, P. (1998). Endogenous growth theory. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Baker, M., & Wurgler, J. (2012). Behavioral corporate finance: an updated survey. In G. M. Constantinides, M. Harris, & R. M. Stulz (Eds.), Handbook of the economics of finance (Vol. 2). Amsterdam: North-Holland.
- Baker, M., Ruback, R. S., & Wurgler, J. (2007). Behavioral corporate finance: a survey. In B. Espen Eckbo (Ed.), Handbook in corporate finance: empirical corporate finance. Amsterdam: North-Holland.
- Barro, R. J., & Sala-i-Martin, X. (2003). Economic growth (2nd ed.). Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Brandt, J., & Charness, G. (2004). Do labour market conditions affect gift exchange? Some experimental evidence. The Economic Journal, 114, 684–708. CrossRef
- Brown, M., & Zehnder, C. (2007). Credit registries, relationship banking and loan repayment. Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, 39(8), 1883–1918. CrossRef
- Brown, M., & Zehnder, C. (2010). The emergence of information sharing in credit markets. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 19(2), 255–278. CrossRef
- DeJong, D. V., Forsythe, R., & Lundholm, R. J. (1985). Ripoffs, lemons, and reputation formation in agency relationships: a laboratory market study. The Journal of Finance, 40(3), 809–820. CrossRef
- Fehr, E., & Zehnder, C. (2006). Reputation and credit market formation (NCCR Finrisk Working Paper No. 179).
- Fehr, E., Kirchsteiger, G., & Riedl, A. (1993). Does fairness prevent market clearing? An experimental investigation. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 108(2), 437–460. CrossRef
- Fehr, E., Klein, A., & Schmidt, K. M. (2007). Fairness and contract design. Econometrica, 75(1), 121–154. CrossRef
- Fischbacher, U. (2007). z-Tree: Zurich toolbox for ready-made economic experiments. Experimental Economics, 10, 171–178. CrossRef
- Fischbacher, U., & Föllmi-Heusi, F. (2013). Lies in disguise. Journal of the European Economic Association, 11, 525–547. CrossRef
- Greiner, B. (2004). The Online Recruitment System ORSEE 2.0—a guide for the organization of experiments in economics (Working Paper Series in Economics, No. 10). University of Cologne.
- Innes, R. T. (1990). Limited liability and incentive contracting with ex ante action choices. Journal of Economic Theory, 52, 45–67. CrossRef
- Irlenbusch, B., & Sliwka, D. (2005). Transparency and reciprocal behavior in employment relations. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 56(3), 383–403. CrossRef
- Kirchkamp, O., Reiß, J. P., & Sadrieh, K. (2008). A pure variation of risk in first-price auctions (METEOR Research Memorandum 08/050).
- Lazear, E. (2000). Performance pay and productivity. The American Economic Review, 90(5), 1346–1361. CrossRef
- Malmendier, U., & Tate, G. (2005). CEO overconfidence and corporate investment. The Journal of Finance, LX(6), 2661–2700. CrossRef
- Mazar, N., Amir, O., & Ariely, D. (2008). The dishonesty of honest people: a theory of self-concept maintenance. Journal of Marketing Research, XLV, 633–644. CrossRef
- Milgrom, P. R. (1981). Good news and bad news: representation theorems and applications. Bell Journal of Economics, 13, 369–378.
- Niemeyer, C., Reiß, J. P., & Sadrieh, K. (2013). Reducing risk in experimental games and individual choice (Working Paper). Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.
- Reiß, J. P., & Wolff, I. (2012). Incentive effects of funding contracts: an experiment (TWI Research Paper Series, No. 78). University of Konstanz.
- Reiß, J. P., & Wolff, I. (2013). Funding of entrepreneurs: an experimental approach (Working Paper, Mimeo).
- Rogers, W. H. (1993). Regression standard errors in clustered samples. Stata Technical Bulletin, 13, 19–23. Reprinted in Stata Technical Bulletin Reprints, 3, 88–94.
- Romer, P. M. (1990). Endogenous technological change. Journal of Political Economy, 98, S71–S102. CrossRef
- Serra-Garcia, M. (2010). Moral hazard in credit markets: the incentive effect of collateral (Working Paper). Tilburg University.
- Shearer, B. (2004). Piece rates, fixed wages and incentives: evidence from a field experiment. Review of Economic Studies, 71(2), 513–534. CrossRef
- Incentive effects of funding contracts: an experiment
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 586-614
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Hidden information
- Funding contracts
- Standard debt contract
- Non-monotonic contract
- State manipulation
- Industry Sectors