Throwing Darts, Time, and the Infinite
- Jeremy Gwiazda
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, I present a puzzle involving special relativity and the random selection of real numbers. In a manner to be specified, darts thrown later hit reals further into a fixed well-ordering than darts thrown earlier. Special relativity is then invoked to create a puzzle. I consider four ways of responding to this puzzle which, I suggest, fail. I then propose a resolution to the puzzle, which relies on the distinction between the potential infinite and the actual infinite. I suggest that certain structures, such as a well-ordering of the reals, or the natural numbers, are examples of the potential infinite, whereas infinite integers in a nonstandard model of arithmetic are examples of the actual infinite.
- Brown, J. R. (2004). Peeking into Plato’s Heaven. Philosophy of Science, 71, 1126–1138. CrossRef
- Freiling, C. (1986). Axioms of symmetry: Throwing darts at the real number line. The Journal of Symbolic Logic, 51, 190–200. CrossRef
- Gwiazda, J. (2006). The train paradox. Philosophia, 34, 437–438. CrossRef
- Gwiazda, J. (2012a). A proof of the impossibility of completing infinitely many tasks. Pacific Philosophical Quarterly, 93, 1–7.
- Gwiazda, J. (2012b). On infinite number and distance. Constructivist Foundations, 7, 126–130.
- Hallett, M. (1988). Cantorian set theory and limitation of size. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Moore, A. W. (2001). The infinite (2nd ed.). London: Routledge.
- Norton, J. (2004). On thought experiments: Is there more to the argument? Philosophy of Science, 71, 1139–1151. CrossRef
- Thomson, J. F. (1954). Tasks and super-tasks. Analysis, 15, 1–13. CrossRef
- Throwing Darts, Time, and the Infinite
Volume 78, Issue 5 , pp 971-975
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Jeremy Gwiazda (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Lehman College, 250 Bedford Park Boulevard West, Bronx, NY, 10468, USA