Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We examine the idea that similar problems should have similar solutions (to paraphrase van Fraassen’s slogan ‘Problems which are essentially the same must receive essentially the same solution’, see van Fraassen in Laws and symmetry, Oxford Univesity Press, Oxford, 1989, p. 236) in the context of symmetries of sentence algebras within Inductive Logic and conclude that by itself this is too generous a notion upon which to found the rational assignment of probabilities. We also argue that within our formulation of symmetry the paradoxes associated with the so called ‘Principle of Indifference’ collapse, but only to be replaced by genuinely irremediable examples of the same phenomenon.
- Bertrand, J. (1898) Calcul des probabilities. Gauthier-Villars et fils, Paris
- Boolos, G., Jeffrey, R. (1980) Computability and logic. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Carnap, R. (1950). Logical foundations of probability. Chicago, Routledge: University of Chicago Press, & Kegan Paul Ltd.
- Carnap, R. (1952) The continuum of inductive methods. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Carnap, R. A basic system of inductive logic, part 1. In: Carnap, R., Jeffrey, R. C. eds. (1971) Studies in inductive logic and probability. University of California Press, Berkeley and Los Angeles, pp. 33-165
- Jaynes, E. T. (1973) The well-posed problem. Foundations of Physics 3: pp. 477-492 CrossRef
- Johnson, W. E. (1932) Probability: The deductive and inductive problems. Mind 41: pp. 409-423 CrossRef
- Paris, J. B. (1994) The uncertain reasoner’s companion. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Paris, J. B. (1999) Common sense and maximum entropy. Synthese 117: pp. 75-93 CrossRef
- Paris, J. B., & Vencovská, A. (2010). Postscript to “Symmetry’s End”. Available at http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~jeff/.
- Schlipp, P. A. eds. (1963) The philosophy of Rudolf Carnap. Open Court, LaSalle, Illinois
- van Fraassen, B. C. (1989) Laws and symmetry. Oxford Univesity Press, Oxford CrossRef
- Symmetry’s End?
Volume 74, Issue 1 , pp 53-67
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links