Ecological risk assessment of heavy metals in surface sediments of northern littoral zone of Lake Çıldır, Ardahan, Turkey
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper, the heavy metal levels (Cu, Pb, Zn, Ni, Mn, Fe, As, Cd, Cr, Hg), organic carbon, and chlorophyll degradation products were studied to prove their ecological effects in Lake Çıldır, where fossil fuels are used as an energy source in the studied area for most of the year, and domestic waste from settlements is discharged directly into the lake. Sediment samples were collected from six sites on the northern shore of Çıldır Lake, Turkey in November 2012. Enrichment (EF) and contamination factor (CF) values were determined, and Pollution Load (PLI) and Potential Ecological Risk (PER) indices were calculated. Average concentrations of heavy metals in the sediments were, in descending order, Fe > Mn > Zn > Ni > Cr > Cu > Pb > As > Cd > Hg, respectively. According to mean values, the source of these elements may be considered natural due to lack of enrichment in Cu, Pb, Zn, Ni, and Cr in the sediment samples. Regarding enrichment of As, Cd, Mn, and Hg, the highest EF belongs to Hg. PLI and PER values indicate there are moderate ecological risk in the lake.
- Atalay, İ. (1978). Geomorphology of Çıldır Lake and around. Journal of Geomorphology, 7, 23–34.
- Bai, J., Huang, L., Yan, D., Wang, Q., Gao, H., Xiao, R., et al. (2011a). Contamination characteristics of heavy metals in wetland soils along a tidal ditch of the Yellow River Estuary, China. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, 25, 671–676. CrossRef
- Bai, J., Cui, B., Chen, B., Zhang, K., Deng, W., Gao, H., et al. (2011b). Spatial distribution and ecological risk assessment of heavy metals in surface sediments from a typical plateau lake wetland, China. Ecological Modelling, 222, 301–306. CrossRef
- Bai, J., Xiao, R., Cui, B., Zhang, K., Wang, Q., Liu, X., et al. (2011c). Assessment of heavy metal pollution in wetland soils from the young and old reclaimed regions in the Pearl River Estuary, South China. Environmental Pollution, 159, 817–824. CrossRef
- Bai, J., Xiao, R., Zhang, K., & Gao, H. (2012). Arsenic and heavy metal pollution in wetland soils from tidal freshwater and salt marshes before and after the flow-sediment regulation regime in the Yellow River Delta, China. Journal of Hydrology, 450–451, 244–253. CrossRef
- Barlas, N., Akbulut, N., & Aydoğan, M. (2005). Assessment of heavy metal residues in the sediment and water samples of Uluabat Lake, Turkey. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 74, 286–293.
- Duman, F., Aksoy, A., & Demirezen, D. (2007). Seasonal variability of heavy metals in surface sediment of Lake Sapanca, Turkey. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 133, 277–283. CrossRef
- Esen, E., Küçüksezgin, F., & Uluturhan, E. (2010). Assessment of trace metal pollution in surface sediments of Nemrut Bay, Aegean Sea. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 160, 257–266. CrossRef
- Gaudette, H. E., Flight, W. R., Toner, L., & Folger, W. (1974). An inexpensive titration method for the determination of organic carbon in recent sediments. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 44, 249–253.
- Gue, W., Liu, X., Liu, Z., & Li, G. (2010). Pollution and potential ecological risk evaluation of heavy metals in the sediments around Dongjiang Harbor, Ttianjin. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 2, 729–736. CrossRef
- Hakanson, L. (1980). Ecological risk index for aquatic pollution control, a sedimentological approach. Water Research, 14, 975–1001.
- Jain, C. K., Gupta, H., & Chakrapani, G. J. (2008). Enrichment and fractionation of heavy metals in bed sediments of river Narmada, India. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 141, 35–47. CrossRef
- Kahkönen, M. A., Kallio, M. P., & Mannien, P. K. P. (1997). Analysing heavy metal concentrations in the different parts of Elodea canadensis and surface sediment with PCA in two boreal lakes in Southern Finland. Chemosphere, 35(11), 2645–2656. CrossRef
- Kankılıç, G. B., Tüzün, İ., & Kadıoğlu, Y. K. (2013). Assessment of heavy metal levels in sediment samples of Kapulukaya Dam Lake (Kirikkale) and lower catchment area. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. doi:10.1007/s10661-013-3061-2.
- Kannan, S. K., Batvari, B. P. D., Lee, K. L., Kannan, N., Krishnamoorthy, R., & Jayaprakash, M. (2008). Assessment of heavy metals (Cd, Cr and Pb) in water, sediment and seaweed (Ulva lactuca) in the Pulicat Lake, South East India. Chemosphere, 71, 1233–1240. CrossRef
- Köleli, N., & Kantar, Ç. (2005). Toxic heavy metal (Cd, Pb, Ni and As) concentration in phosphate rock, phosphoric acid and phosphorous fertilizers (In Turkish). Ecology, 14(55), 1–5.
- Kükrer, S. (2013). Assessment of heavy metal (Zn, Pb, Fe) contamination in surface sediments of creeks flowing to inner part of Izmir Bay (Eastern Aegean Sea). Journal of Black Sea and Mediterranean Environment, 19(1), 82–94.
- Lorenzen, C. J. (1971). Chlorophyll-degradation products in sediments of Black Sea. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Contribution, 28, 426–428.
- MacDonald, D. D. (1994). Approach to the assessment of sediment quality in Florida coastal waters. Volume 1—development and evaluation of sediment quality assessment guidelines. Florida Department of Environmental Protection Office of Water Policy. Retrieved from http://www.floridadep.org/waste/quick_topics/publications/documents/sediment/volume1.pdf.
- Meyers, P. A., & Teranes, J. L. (2001). Sediment organic matter. In W. M. Last & J. P. Smol (Eds.), Tracking environmental change using lake sediments (Vol. 2, pp. 239–269). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers. CrossRef
- Mico, C., Recatala, L., Peris, M., & Sanchez, J. (2006). Assessing heavy metal sources in agricultural soils of an European Mediterranean area by multivariate analysis. Chemosphere, 65, 863–872. CrossRef
- Nriago, J. O., & Pacyna, J. M. (1988). Quantitative assessment of worldwide contamination of air, water and soils by trace metals. Nature, 333, 134–140. CrossRef
- Özmen, H., Külahçı, F., Çukurovalı, A., & Doğru, M. (2004). Concentrations of heavy metal and radioactivity in surface water and sediment of Hazar Lake (Elazığ, Turkey). Chemosphere, 55, 401–408. CrossRef
- Rosales-Hoz, L., Carranza-Edwards, A., & Lopez-Hemandez, M. (2000). Heavy metals in sediments of a large, turbid tropical lake affected by anthropogenic discharges. Environmental Geology, 39(3–4), 378–383.
- Sönmez, İ., Kaplan, M., & Sönmez, S. (2008). Effect of chemical fertilizers on environmental pollution and its prevention methods (In Turkish). Journal of Batı Akdeniz Agricultural Research Institute, 25(2), 24–34.
- Suresh, G., Ramasamy, V., Meenakshisundaram, V., Venkatachalapathy, R., & Ponnu- samy, V. (2011). Influence of mineralogical and heavy metal composition on natural radionuclide contents in the river sediments. Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 69, 1466–1474. CrossRef
- Suresh, G., Sutharsan, P., Ramasamy, V., & Venkatachalapathy, R. (2012). Assessment of spatial distribution and potential ecological risk of the heavy metals in relation to granulometric contents of Veeranam lake sediments, India. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 84, 117–124. CrossRef
- Sutherland, R. A. (2000). Bed sediment associated trace metals in an urban stream, Oahu. Hawaii. Environmental Geology, 39, 611–627. CrossRef
- Tekin-Özan, S. (2008). Determination of heavy metal levels in water, sediment and tissues of tench (Tinca tinca L., 1758) from Beyşehir Lake (Turkey). Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 145, 295–302. CrossRef
- Turcg, B., Albuquergue, A. L. S., Cordeiro, R. C., Sifeddine, A., Simoes Filho, F. F. L., Souza, A. G., et al. (2002). Accumulation of organic carbon in five Brazilian lakes during the Holocene. Sedimentary Geology, 148, 319–342. CrossRef
- Wang, Y., Hu, J., Xiong, K., Huang, X., & Duan, S. (2012). Distribution of heavy metals in core sediments from Baihua Lake. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 16, 51–58. CrossRef
- Yang, Z., Wang, Y., Shen, Z., Niu, J., & Tang, Z. (2009). Distribution and speciation of heavy metals in sediments from the mainstream, tributaries, and lakes of the Yangtze River catchment of Wuhan, China. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 166, 1186–1194. CrossRef
- Zhang, L., Ye, X., Feng, H., Jing, Y., Ouyang, T., Yu, X., et al. (2007). Heavy metal contamination in western Xiamen Bay sediments and its vicinity, China. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 54, 974–982. CrossRef
- Ecological risk assessment of heavy metals in surface sediments of northern littoral zone of Lake Çıldır, Ardahan, Turkey
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Lake Çıldır
- Heavy metal
- Ecological assessment
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Geography, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Ardahan University, Ardahan, Turkey
- 2. Department of Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Ardahan University, Ardahan, Turkey
- 3. Department of Food Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Ardahan University, Ardahan, Turkey
- 4. Department of Hydrobiology, Faculty of Fisheries, Tunceli University, Tunceli, Turkey