Application of an environmental impact assessment methodology to a site discharging low levels of radioactivity to a freshwater environment in Norway
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Significant shifts in opinion regarding environmental protection from ionising radiation have resulted in the development and availability of bespoke approaches for the assessment of impacts on wildlife from radioactive contaminants. The application of such assessment methodologies to actual situations, however, remains relatively limited. This paper describes the implementation of the ERICA Integrated Approach and associated tools within the context of routine discharges of radioactive materials to a freshwater environment. The article follows the implementation through its relevant stages and discusses strengths and weaknesses of the approach in relation to the case study. For current discharge levels, 137Cs and 60Co constitute the main dose contributors to the majority of reference organisms studied, although 241Am and 3H are the main contributors for the phyto- and zooplankton categories. Patterns are observed depending on whether the reference organism is sediment-associated or not. At current discharge levels, none of the reference organisms exceeded or approached the selected screening level, and impacts on biota could be regarded as negligible.
- Alpine, A. E., & Cloern, J. E. (1988). Phytoplankton growth rates in a light-limited environment San Francisco Bay. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 44, 167–173. CrossRef
- Andersson, P., Garnier-Laplace, J., Beresford, N. A., Copplestone, D., Howard, B. J., Howe, P., et al. (2009). Protection of the environment from ionising radiation in a regulatory context (PROTECT): Proposed numerical benchmark values. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 100, 1100–1108. CrossRef
- Backe, S., Christensen, G. C., Raaum, A., Andreassen, S., Nystuen, L., Haugen, A.-H., et al. (2005). Discharges of radioactivity from Institute for Atomic Energy in the 1950s and 1960s, I: Proceedings of the XIV regular meeting of the Nordic Society for Radiation Protection, 27–31 August 2005, Rättvik, Sweden. Stockholm: Statens strålskyddsinstitut (SSI Rapport 2005:15).
- Beresford, N., Brown, J., Copplestone, D., Garnier-Laplace, J., Howard, B., Larsson, C.-M., et al. (2007). D ERICA: An Integrated Approach to the assessment and management of environmental risks from ionising radiation. Description of purpose, methodology and application. A deliverable report for the project “ERICA” (Contract no. FI6R-CT-2004-508847) within the EC’s VIth Framework Programme (p. 82). Stockholm: Swedish Radiation Protection Authority.
- Brown, J. E., Alfonso, B., Avila, R., Beresford, N. A., Copplestone, D., Pröhl, G., et al. (2008). The ERICA tool. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 99/9, 1371–1383. CrossRef
- Brown, J. E., Jones, S. R., Saxén, R., Thørring, H., & Vives i Batlle, J. (2004). Radiation doses to aquatic organisms from natural radionuclides. Journal of Radiological Protection, 24, A63–A77. CrossRef
- Brownless, G. P. (2007). Issues around radiological protection of the environment and its integration with protection of humans: Promoting debate on the way forward. Journal of Radiological Protection, 27, 391–404. CrossRef
- Chambers, D. B., Osborne, R. V., & Garva, A. L. (2006). Choosing an alpha radiation weighting factor for doses to non-human biota. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 87, 1–14. CrossRef
- Christensen, G., Backe, S., Krosshavn, M., Sørum, R., & Wikstrøm, V. A. (2004). Opprensking i Nitelva 2000–2001 ved fjerning av radioaktivt forurenset sediment og den del av NALFA-ledningen som var gravd ned i elveleiet. Kjeller, 2004. IFE/KR/F-2004/035 (in Norwegian).
- Copplestone, D., Jones, S., Allott, R., Merrill, P., & Vives, J. (2007). Protection of the environment from exposure to ionising radiation. Radioactivity in the Environment, 10(2007), 239–264. CrossRef
- Copplestone, D., Hingston, J. L., & Real, A. (2008). The development and purpose of the FREDERICA radiation effects database. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 99, 1456–1463. CrossRef
- Copplestone, D., Wood, M. D., Bielby, S., Jones, S. R., Vives, J., & Beresford, N. A. (2003). Habitat regulations for stage 3 assessments: Radioactive substances authorisations. In R&D technical report P3-101/SP1a. Bristol: Environment Agency.
- Gäfvert, T., Sværen, I., Brungot, A. L., Gwynn, J., Heldal, H. E., Kolstad, A. K., et al. (2008). Radioactivity in the Marine Environment 2006. Results from the Norwegian National Monitoring Programme (RAME). NRPA Report 2008:14 (p. 35). Østerås: Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority.
- Garnier-Laplace, J., Copplestone, D., Gilbin, R., Alonzo, F., Ciffroy, P., Gilek, M., et al. (2008). Issues and practices in the use of effects data from FREDERICA in the ERICA Integrated Approach. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 99/9, 1474–1483. CrossRef
- Hansen, K. T. (2000). Verneverdier i Nitelva, i Nittedal, Skedsmo og Rælingen kommuner, Akershus fylke. Verdier i Vernete Vassdrag (VVV)-rapp. 2000-5, Direktorat for Naturforvaltning, Norway (in Norwegian).
- Holm, L.-E., Hubbard, L., Larsson, C.-M., & Sundell-Bergman, S. (2002). Radiological protection of the environment from the Swedish point of view. Journal of Radiological Protection, 22, 235–247. CrossRef
- IAEA (1992). Effects of ionising radiation on plants and animals at levels implied by current radiation protection standards. Vienna: International Atomic Energy Agency. Technical report series no. 332.
- IAEA (2001). Generic models for use in assessing the impact of discharges of radioactive substances to the environment. IAEA Safety Reports Series, 19, 216. STI/PUB/1102.
- ICRP (1983). Radionuclide transformationsdenergy and intensity of transmissions ICRP Publication 38. Annals of the ICRP 11. Oxford: Pergamon Press.
- ICRP (1991). The 1990 recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection. ICRP Publication 60. Ann. ICRP 21 (1–3).
- ICRP (2003). A framework for assessing the impact of ionising radiation on non-human species. ICRP Publication 91. Ann. ICRP 33 (3).
- ICRP (2007). Recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological 22 Protection. Publication 103. Annals of the ICRP 37 (2–3).
- ICRP (2009). Environmental protection: The concept and use of reference animals and plants. ICRP Publication 108. Annals of the ICRP, 38(4–6), 1–242.
- Larsson, C. M. (2004). The FASSET Framework for assessment of environmental impact of ionising radiation in European ecosystems – an overview. Journal of Radiological Protection, 24, A1–A13. CrossRef
- Larsson, C. M. (2008). An overview of the ERICA Integrated Approach to the assessment and management of environmental risks from ionising contaminants. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 99, 1364–1370. CrossRef
- Martinsen, T. (1997). ANØ-rapport 33/97. Avløpssambandet Nordre Øyeren. s. 1–22 (in Norwegian).
- Morris, R. C. (2006). Applying DOE’s Graded Approach for assessing radiation impacts to non-human biota at the INL. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 87, 77–100. CrossRef
- Real, A., Sundell-Bergman, S., Knowles, J. F., Woodhead, D. S., Zinger, I. (2004). Effects of ionising radiation exposure on plants, fish and mammals: Relevant data for environmental radiation protection. Journal of Radiological Protection, 24(4A), 123–137. CrossRef
- Rørslett, B. (1992). Øyeren i Akershus: Naturfaglig statusrapport 1992. Norsk institutt for vannforskning. s. 1–3 (in Norwegian).
- Smith, J. T. (2004). The case against protecting the environment against ionising radiation. Radioprotection, 40, s967–s972. CrossRef
- Sparrow, A. H., Underbrink, A. G., & Sparrow, R. C. (1967). Chromosome and cellular sensitivity. I. The relationship of D0 to chromosome volume and complexity in seventy-nine different organisms. Radiation Research, 32, 915–945. CrossRef
- Strand, P., & Oughton, D. H. (Eds.) (2001). Radiation protection in the 21st century: Ethical, philosophical and environmental issues, consensus conference on protection of the environment. The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, 22–25 October, 2001. Oslo. Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Østerås and The Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Ås.
- UNSCEAR (1996). Sources and effects of ionising radiation (p. 86). New York: United Nations.
- Whicker, F. W., & Schultz, V. (1982). Radioecology: Nuclear energy and the environment (Vol. 1). Boca Raton: CRC press, Inc.
- Zinger, I., Jones, S., & Oughton, D. H. (2008). Stakeholder interaction within the ERICA integrated approach. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 99, 1503–1509. CrossRef
- Application of an environmental impact assessment methodology to a site discharging low levels of radioactivity to a freshwater environment in Norway
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 173, Issue 1-4 , pp 653-667
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Environmental impact assessment
- Industry Sectors