History of mathematics: illuminating understanding of school mathematics concepts for prospective mathematics teachers
- Kathleen Michelle Clark
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The use of the history of mathematics in teaching has long been considered a tool for enriching students’ mathematical learning. However, in the USA few, if any, research efforts have investigated how the study of history of mathematics contributes to a person's mathematical knowledge for teaching. In this article, I present the results of research conducted over four semesters in which I sought to characterize what prospective mathematics teachers (PMTs) understand about the topics that they will be called upon to teach in the future and how that teaching might include an historical component. In particular, I focus on how the study and application of the history of solving quadratic equations illuminates what PMTs know (or do not know) about this essential secondary school algebraic topic. Additionally, I discuss how the results signal important considerations for mathematics teacher preparation programs with regard to connecting PMTs' mathematical and pedagogical knowledge, and their ability to engage in historical perspectives to improve their own and their future students' understanding of solving quadratic equations.
- Arcavi, A, Isoda, M (2007) Learning to listen: From historical sources to classroom practice. Educational Studies in Mathematics 66: pp. 111-129 CrossRef
- Ball, DL, Thames, MH, Phelps, G (2008) Content knowledge for teaching: What makes it special?. Journal of Teacher Education 59: pp. 389-407 CrossRef
- Boero, P., & Guala, E. (2008). Development of mathematical knowledge and beliefs of teachers: The role of cultural analysis of the content to be taught. In P. Sullivan and T. Wood (Eds.), The international handbook of mathematics teacher education, Volume 1: Knowledge and beliefs in mathematics teaching and teaching development (pp. 223–244). Rotterdam, the Netherlands: Sense.
- Charalambous, CY, Panaoura, A, Phillippou, G (2009) Using the history of mathematics to induce changes in preservice teachers’ beliefs and attitudes: Insights from evaluating a teacher education program. Educational Studies in Mathematics 71: pp. 161-180 CrossRef
- Clark, K. M. (2008a). Heeding the call: History of mathematics and the preparation of secondary mathematics teachers. In F. Arbaugh & P. M. Taylor (Eds.), Inquiry into mathematics teacher education: Association of mathematics teacher educators (AMTE) monograph series, Volume 5 (pp. 85–95). San Diego: AMTE.
- Clark, K. (2008b). Reflection and revision: First experiences with a “using history” course. In E. Barbin, N. Stehlikova, & C. Tzanakis (Eds.), History and epistemology in mathematics education: Proceedings of the fifth European summer university (pp. 343–351). Prague: Vydavatelsky Press.
- Conference Board for the Mathematical Sciences. (2001). The mathematical education of teachers: Vol. 11. Issues in mathematics education. Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society.
- Fauvel, J (1991) Using history in mathematics education. For the Learning of Mathematics 11: pp. 3-6
- Fauvel, J, Gray, J (1987) The history of mathematics: A reader. Macmillan Education, Basingstoke
- Fauvel, J, Maanen, J eds. (2000) History in mathematics education—The ICMI study. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht
- Fried, MN (2001) Can mathematics education and history of mathematics coexist?. Science Education 10: pp. 391-408 CrossRef
- Furinghetti, F (1997) History of mathematics, mathematics education, school practice: Case studies linking different domains. For the Learning of Mathematics 17: pp. 55-61
- Furinghetti, F (2000) The history of mathematics as a coupling link between secondary and university teaching. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology 31: pp. 43-51 CrossRef
- Furinghetti, F (2007) Teacher education through the history of mathematics. Educational Studies in Mathematics 66: pp. 131-143 CrossRef
- Heiede, T History of mathematics and the teacher. In: Calinger, R eds. (1996) Vita mathematica: Historical research and integration with teaching. Mathematical Association of America, Washington, DC, pp. 231-243
- Hoepfl, M. C. (1997). Choosing qualitative research: A primer of technology education researchers. Journal of Technology Education, 9(1). Retrieved January 6, 2010 from http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JTE/v9n1/hoepfl.html.
- Jankvist, UT (2009) A categorization of the “whys” and “hows” of using history in teaching mathematics education. Educational Studies in Mathematics 71: pp. 235-261 CrossRef
- Katz, VJ (1997) Some ideas on the use of history in the teaching of mathematics. For the Learning of Mathematics 17: pp. 62-63
- Katz, VJ, Michalowicz, KD eds. (2005) Historical modules for the teaching and learning mathematics. Mathematical Association of America, Washington, DC
- Kilpatrick, J, Swafford, J, Findell, B eds. (2001) Adding it up: Helping children learn mathematics. National Academy Press, Washington, DC
- Kjeldsen, TH (2001) Uses of history in mathematics education: Development of learning strategies and historical awareness. Paper presented at Working Group 12: History in Mathematics Education, CERME-7. Rzeszów, Poland
- Liu, P-H (2003) Do teachers need to incorporate the history of mathematics in their teaching?. Mathematics Teacher 96: pp. 416-421
- Moritz, RE (1914) Memorabilia mathematica; or, the philomath’s quotation-book. The Macmillan Company, New York
- NCATE/NCTM Program standards: Programs for initial preparation of mathematics teachers. Author, Washington, DC
- O’Connor, J., & Robertson, E. F. (1999). Al-Khwarizmi biography. Retrieved on February 1, 2011 from http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/Biographies/Al-Khwarizmi.html.
- Pimm, D (1983) Why the history and philosophy of mathematics should not be rated x. For the Learning of Mathematics 3: pp. 12-15
- Siu, M-K The ABCD of using history of mathematics in the (undergraduate) classroom. In: Katz, V eds. (2000) Using history to teach mathematics: An international perspective. Mathematical Association of America, Washington, DC, pp. 3-9
- Strauss, A, Corbin, J (1998) Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks
- History of mathematics: illuminating understanding of school mathematics concepts for prospective mathematics teachers
Educational Studies in Mathematics
Volume 81, Issue 1 , pp 67-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- History of mathematics
- Mathematical knowledge for teaching
- Quadratic equations
- Completing the square
- Mathematics teacher preparation
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, USA