School Responsiveness to Quality Rankings: An Empirical Analysis of Secondary Education in the Netherlands
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper assesses the response of Dutch secondary schools to the publication of relative quality ratings in a national newspaper (Trouw). Our research design exploits the discontinuities in the ranking formula that was used to generate five consecutive levels for the overall quality of schools.We find previous Trouw quality scores to have an offsetting effect on school quality performance, i.e. both average grades and the number of diplomas go up after receiving a negative score. These effects are confined to the lower support of the performance distribution.
- Bacolod, M., DiNardo, J., & Jacobson, M. (2009). Beyond incentives: Do schools use accountability rewards productively? NBER working paper 14775.
- Carnoy M., Loeb S. (2003) Does external accountability affect student outcomes? A cross-state analysis. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 24(4): 305–331 CrossRef
- Chiang H. (2009) How accountability pressure on failing schools affects student achievement. Journal of Public Economics 93(9–10): 1045–1057 CrossRef
- Craig, S. G., Imberman, S. A., & Perdue, A. (2009). Does it pay to get an A? School Resource allocations in response to accountability ratings. Mimeo.
- De Lange, M., & Dronkers, J. (2007). Hoe gelijkwaardig blijft het eindexamen tussen scholen in Nederland? EUI working paper 2007/03.
- Dee T.S., Jacob B. (2011) The impact of no child left behind on student achievement. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 30(3): 418–446 CrossRef
- Dijkgraaf, E., Gradus, R. H. J. M., & de Jong, M. (2009). Competition and educational quality: Evidence from the Netherlands. Tinbergen institute discussion paper 2009-100/3.
- Dijkstra, A. B., Karsten, S., Veenstra, R., & Visscher, A. J. (2001) Het oog der natie: Scholen op rapport. Standaarden voor de publicatie van schoolprestaties. Assen, Koninklijke van Gorcum.
- Figlio, D. N., & Getzler, L. S. (2002). Accountability, ability and disability: Gaming the system, NBER Working Paper 9307.
- Figlio D. N., Lucas M. E. (2004) What’s in a grade? School report cards and the housing market. American Economic Review 94(3): 591–604 CrossRef
- Figlio D. N., Rouse C. E. (2006) Do accountability and voucher threats improve low-performing schools?. Journal of Public Economics 90(1–2): 239–255 CrossRef
- Hanushek E. A., Raymond M. E. (2004) The effect of school accountability systems on the level and distribution of student achievement. Journal of the European Economic Association 2(2–3): 406–415 CrossRef
- Hanushek E. A., Raymond M. E. (2005) Does school accountability lead to improved student performance?. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 24(2): 297–327 CrossRef
- Hastings J., van Weelden R., Weinstein J. (2008) Information, school choice and academic achievement: evidence from two experiments. The Quarterly Journal of Economics 124(4): 1373–1414 CrossRef
- Jacob B. (2005) Accountability, incentives and behavior: Evidence from school reform in Chicago. Journal of Public Economics 89(5–6): 761–796 CrossRef
- Koning, P., & Van der Wiel, K. (2012, forthcoming). Ranking the schools: How quality information affects school choice in the Netherlands. Journal of the European Economic Association.
- Pope D. G. (2009) Reacting to rankings: Evidence from “America’s best hospitals”. Journal of Health Economics 28(5): 1154–1165 CrossRef
- Rockoff J., Turner L. J. (2010) Short-run impacts of accountability on school quality. American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 2: 119–147 CrossRef
- Rouse, C. E., Hannaway, J., Goldhaber, D., & Figlio, D. (2007). Feeling the Florida heat? How low-performing schools respond to voucher and accountability pressure. NBER working paper 13681.
- Van der Steeg, M. & Vermeer, N. (2011). Nederlandse onderwijsprestaties in perspectief. CPB Achtergronddocument.
- School Responsiveness to Quality Rankings: An Empirical Analysis of Secondary Education in the Netherlands
Volume 160, Issue 4 , pp 339-355
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- School quality
- School accountability
- Regression discontinuity designs
- Industry Sectors