Distress Tolerance and its Role in Psychopathology
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This introductory paper briefly introduces the present special series, the purpose of which was to provide a forum for the systematic presentation of theory, empirical evidence, and directions for future work as it pertains to distress tolerance and psychopathology. Articles in the series were selected to highlight a broad range of research on topics dealing with distress tolerance and its relation to various aspects of psychopathology. The articles in this series collectively suggest the importance of developing more integrated models that explicitly integrate both basic and applied research in order to translate basic research on distress tolerance to the applied realm and cast such work in a more comprehensive nomological net.
- Bernstein, A., Marshall, E. C., & Zvolensky, M. J. (2011). Multi-method evaluation of distress tolerance measures and construct(s): Concurrent relations to mood and anxiety psycholopathology and quality of life. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology, 2(3), 386–399. doi:10.5127/jep.006610.
- Bernstein, A., Trafton, J., Ilgen, M., & Zvolensky, M. J. (2008). An evaluation of the role of smoking context on a biobehavioral index of distress tolerance. Addicitive Behaviors, 33, 1409–1415. doi:10.1016/j.addbeh.2008.06.003. CrossRef
- Bornovalova, M. A., Gratz, K. L., Daughters, S. B., Hunt, E. D., & Lejuez, C. W. (2012). Initial RCT of a distress tolerance treatment for individuals with substance use disorders. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 42, 717–726. doi:10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2011.09.012. CrossRef
- Frenkel-Brunswik, E. (1948). Review of personality: A biosocial approach to origins and structure. Psychological Bulletin, 45, 348–351. doi:10.1037/h0053362. CrossRef
- Leyro, T. M., Zvolensky, M. J., & Bernstein, A. (2010). Distress tolerance and psychopathological symptoms and disorders: A review of the empirical literature among adults. Psychological Bulletin, 136(4), 576–600. doi:10.1037/a0019712. CrossRef
- Linehan, M. M. (1993). Cognitive-behavioral treatment of borderline personality disorder. New York, NY: Guildford Press.
- Lynch, T. R., & Mizon, G. A. (2011). Distress over-tolerance and distress intolerance: A behavioral perspective. In M. J. Zvolensky, A. Bernstein, & A. A. Vujanovic (Eds.), Distress tolerance. New York, NY: Guildford Press.
- Marshall, E. C., Zvolensky, M. J., Vujanovic, A. A., Gregor, K., Gibson, L. E., & Leyro, T. M. (2008). Panic reactivity to voluntary hyperventilation challenge predicts distress tolerance to bodily sensations among daily cigarette smokers. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 16(4), 313–321. doi:10.1037/a0012752. CrossRef
- Otto, M. W., Powers, M. B., & Fischmann, D. (2005). Emotional exposure in the treatment of substance use disorders: Conceptual model, evidence, and future directions. Clinical Psychology Review, 25(6), 824–839. doi:10.1016/j.cpr.2005.05.002. CrossRef
- Trafton, J. A., & Gifford, E. V. (2011). Biological bases of distress tolerance. In M. J. Zvolensky, A. Bernstein, & A. A. Vujanovic (Eds.), Distress tolerance. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Zvolensky, M. J., Bernstein, A., & Vujanovic, A. A. (2011). Distress tolerance. New York: Guilford.
- Zvolensky, M. J., Vujanovic, A. A., Bernstein, A., & Leyro, T. M. (2010). Distress tolerance: Theory, measurement, and relations to psychopathology. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 19(6), 406–410. doi:10.1177/0963721410388642. CrossRef
- Distress Tolerance and its Role in Psychopathology
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 37, Issue 3 , pp 419-420
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Distress tolerance
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
- 2. Department of Psychology, University of Houston, 126 Fred J. Heyne Building, Suite 104, Houston, TX, 77204, USA
- 3. Department of Psychology, University of Vermont, 2 Colchester Ave, Burlington, VT, 05405, USA