The Personality Belief Questionnaire-Short Form: Development and Preliminary Findings
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two studies are reported which document the development and psychometric properties of an abbreviated version of the Personality Belief Questionnaire (PBQ). In the first study, the seven PBQ items with the highest item–total correlations with each PBQ scale were used to construct experimental scales. These scales showed good internal consistency and discriminated five personality disorders as predicted. Items from the experimental scales were then incorporated into a new measure—the PBQ Short Form (SF)—which was administered to an independent sample of psychiatric patients. The PBQ-SF scales showed good reliability and correlated significantly with depression, anxiety, dysfunctional attitudes, neuroticism, self-esteem, and psychosocial functioning. Findings suggest that the overall elevation of a PBQ-SF profile is influenced by a general distress factor, whereas variability of PBQ-SF scales within a profile reveals disorder-specific effects. It is concluded that the PBQ-SF is a practical alternative as a measure of personality disorder beliefs.
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, third edition – revised. Author, Washington, DC
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth edition. Author, Washington, DC
- Beck, A. T., & Beck, J. S. (1991). The personality belief questionnaire. Unpublished assessment instrument. The Beck Institute for Cognitive Therapy and Research, Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania.
- Beck, A. T., Freeman, A., & associates (1990). Cognitive therapy of personality disorders. New York: Guilford Press.
- Beck, A. T., Freeman, A., Davis, D. D., & associates (2003). Cognitive therapy of personality disorders (2nd edn). New York: Guilford Press.
- Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A. (1989) Manual for the Beck hopelessness scale. The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, TX
- Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A. (1990) Beck anxiety inventory manual. The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, TX
- Beck, A. T., Butler, A. C., Brown, G. K., Dahslgaard, K. K., Newman, C. F., Beck, J. S. (2001) Dysfunctional beliefs discriminate personality disorders. Behavioral Research and Therapy 39: pp. 1213-1225 CrossRef
- Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A., Brown, G.K. (1996) Beck depression inventory-second edition manual. The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio
- Cohen, J. (1988) Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ
- Corwyn, R. F. (2000) The factor structure of global self-esteem among adolescents and adults. Journal of Research in Personality 34: pp. 357-379 CrossRef
- Costa, P. T., McCrae, R. R. (1992) The NEO personality inventory (NEO-PI) and NEO five-factor inventory (NEO-FFI) professional manual. Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, FL
- Dozois, D., Dobson, K., Ahnberg, J. (1998) A psychometric evaluation of the Beck depression inventory-II. Psychological Assessment 10: pp. 83-89 CrossRef
- First, M. B., Spitzer, R. L., Gibbon, M., Williams, J. B. W., & Benjamin, L. (1995). User’s guide for the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis II Disorders (SCID-II), (Version 2.0). Unpublished manuscript, Biometrics Research Department, New York State Psychiatric Institute.
- Greer, T., Dunlap, W. P. (1997) Analysis of variance with ipsative measures. Psychological Methods 2: pp. 200-207 CrossRef
- Hyler, S. E., Skodol, A. E., Oldham, J. M., Kellman, H. D., Doidge, N. (1992) Validity of the personality diagnostic questionnaire-revised: A replication in an outpatient sample. Comprehensive Psychiatry 33: pp. 73-77 CrossRef
- Ihilevich, D., Gleser, G. C. (1979) A manual for the progress evaluation scales. Community Mental Health Services Board, Shiawasse, MI
- Ihilevich, D., Gleser, G. C. (1982) Evaluating mental health programs: The progress evaluation scales. D. C. Health, Lexington, MA
- Krueger, R. F. (1999) The structure of common mental disorders. Archives of General Psychiatry 56: pp. 921-926 CrossRef
- Lilienfeld, S. O. (1994) Conceptual problems in the assessment of psychopathy. Clinical Psychology Review 14: pp. 7-8 CrossRef
- Morey, L. C., Waugh, M. H., Blashfield, R. K. (1985) MMPI scores for the DSM-III personality disorders: Their derivation and correlates. Journal of Personality Assessment 49: pp. 245-251 CrossRef
- Nelson, L. D., Stern, S., Cicchetti, D. V. (1992) The dysfunctional attitudes scale: How well can it measure depressive thinking?. Journal of Psychopathology & Behavioral Assessment 14: pp. 217-223 CrossRef
- Roberts, J. E., Kassel, J. D., Gotlib, I. H. (1995) Level and stability of self-esteem as predictors of depressive symptoms. Personality & Individual Differences 19: pp. 217-224 CrossRef
- Rosenberg, M. (1965) Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ
- Russell, D., & Cutrona, C. E. (1984, August). The provisions of social relationships and adaptation to stress. Paper presented at the meeting of the American Psychological Association, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Segal, Z. V., Ingram, R. E. (1994) Mood priming and construct activation in tests of cognitive vulnerability to unipolar depression. Clinical Psychology Review 14: pp. 663-695 CrossRef
- Spitzer, R. L., Williams, J. B. W., Gibbon, M., First, M. B. (1992) The Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R (SCID), I: History, rationale and description. Archives of General Psychiatry 49: pp. 624-629
- Steer, R. A., & Beck, A. T. (1997). Beck anxiety inventory. In C. P. Salaquett & R. J. Wood (Eds.), Evaluating stress: A book of resources (pp. 23–40).
- Trull, T. J., Goodwin, A. H., Schopp, L.H., Hillenbrand, T.L., Schuster, T. (1993) Psychometric properties of a cognitive measure of personality disorders. Journal of Personality Assessment 61: pp. 536-546 CrossRef
- Weissman, A. N., & Beck, A. T. (1978, November). Development and validation of the dysfunctional attitude scale: A preliminary investigation. Paper presented at the meeting of the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, Chicago.
- The Personality Belief Questionnaire-Short Form: Development and Preliminary Findings
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 357-370
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Personality disorders
- Tests and measures
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- 3. 2100 Garden Road, Suite A-102, Monterey, CA, USA
- 2. Department of Psychology, The University of Delaware, Newark, DE, USA