Brief Report: Intolerance of Uncertainty, Worry, and Depression
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined the strength and specificity of the relationship between intolerance of uncertainty (IU) and worry with regards to depression in a nonclinical sample. The hypotheses were the following: (1) IU would be more highly and specifically related to worry than to depression; and (2) worry would be more highly and specifically related to IU than to dysfunctional attitudes (a cognitive process involved in depression). Two-hundred and forty (240) undergraduate students completed self-report questionnaires that assessed worry, intolerance of uncertainty, depression, and dysfunctional attitudes. Both hypotheses were confirmed: IU was more highly (although not significantly) and specifically related to worry than to depression; and worry was more highly and specifically related to IU than to dysfunctional attitudes. The findings are discussed in terms of their theoretical and clinical implications.
- Beck, A.T., Steer, R.A., Garbin, M.G. (1988) Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: Twenty-five years of evaluation. Clinical Psychology Review 8: pp. 77-100
- Beck, A.T., Ward, C.H., Mendelson, M., Mock, J., Erbaugh, J. (1961) An inventory for measuring depression. Archives of General Psychiatry 12: pp. 57-62
- Brown, T.A., Chorpita, B.F., Barlow, D.H. (1998) Structural relationships among dimensions of the DSM-IV anxiety and mood disorders and dimensions of negative affect, positive affect, and autonomic arousal. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 107: pp. 179-192
- Buhr, K., & Dugas, M.J.(2001).Intolerance of uncertainty and its relationship to worry.Poster session presented at the annual convention of the Association for Advancement of Behavior Therapy, Philadelphia, PA.
- Buhr, K., Dugas, M.J. (2002) The Intolerance of Uncertainty Scale: Psychometric properties of the English version. Behaviour Research and Therapy 40: pp. 931-945
- Cohen, J. (1988) Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ
- Dugas, M.J., Gagnon, F., Ladouceur, R., Freeston, H. (1998) Generalized anxiety disorder: A preliminary test of a conceptual model. Behaviour Research and Therapy 36: pp. 215-226
- Dugas, M.J., Gosselin, P., Ladouceur, R. (2001) Intolerance of uncertainty and worry: Investigating narrow specificity in a nonclinical sample. Cognitive Therapy and Research 25: pp. 551-558
- Dugas, M.J., Hedayati, M., Karavidas, A., Buhr, K., Francis, K., & Phillips, N.A.(in press).Intolerance of uncertainty and information processing: Evidence of biased recall and interpretations.Cognitive Therapy and Research.
- Dugas, M.J., Ladouceur, R. (2000) Treatment of GAD: Targeting intolerance of uncertainty in two types of worry. Behavior Modification 24: pp. 635-657
- Dugas, M.J., Marchand, A., & Ladouceur, R.(in press).Further validation of a cognitive-behavioral model of generalized anxiety disorder: Diagnostic and symptom specificity.Journal of Anxiety Disorders.
- Freeston, M.H., Rhéaume, J., Letarte, H., Dugas, M.J., Ladouceur, R. (1994) Why do people worry?. Personality and Individual Differences 17: pp. 791-802
- Gorman, J.M. (2002) Treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 63: pp. 17-23
- Kendler, K.S. (1996) Major depression and generalised anxiety disorder: Same genes, (partly) different environments—Revisited. British Journal of Psychiatry 168: pp. 68-75
- Kessler, R.C., Zhao, S., Blazer, D.G., Swartz, M. (1997) Prevalence, correlates, and course of minor depression and major depression in the National Comorbidity Survey. Journal of Affective Disorders 45: pp. 19-30
- Ladouceur, R., Dugas, M.J., Freeston, M.H., Rhéaume, J., Blais, F., Boisvert, J.-M. (1999) Specificity of generalized anxiety disorder symptoms and processes. Behavior Therapy 30: pp. 191-207
- Ladouceur, R., Gosselin, P., Dugas, M.J. (2000) Experimental manipulation of intolerance of uncertainty: A study of a theoretical model of worry. Behaviour Research and Therapy 38: pp. 933-941
- Laugesen, N., Dugas, M.J., Bukowski, W.M. (2003) Understanding adolescent worry: The application of a cognitive model. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology 31: pp. 55-64
- Meyer, T.J., Miller, M.L., Metzger, R.L., Borkovec, T.D. (1990) Development and validation of the Penn State Worry Questionnaire. Behaviour Research and Therapy 28: pp. 487-496
- Mineka, S., Watson, D., Clark, L.A. (1998) Comorbidity of anxiety and unipolar mood disorders. Annual Review of Psychology 49: pp. 377-412
- Radloff, L.S. (1977) The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurement 1: pp. 385-401
- Weissman, A.N.(1980).Assessing depressogenic attitudes: A validation study.Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, Hartford, Connecticut.
- Wittchen, H., Zhao, S., Kessler, R.C., Eaton, W.W. (1994) DSM-III-R generalized anxiety disorder in the National Comorbidity Survey. Archives of General Psychiatry 51: pp. 355-364
- Brief Report: Intolerance of Uncertainty, Worry, and Depression
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 28, Issue 6 , pp 835-842
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- intolerance of uncertainty
- generalized anxiety disorder
- Industry Sectors