Interior-Point Algorithms, Penalty Methods and Equilibrium Problems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we consider the question of solving equilibrium problems—formulated as complementarity problems and, more generally, mathematical programs with equilibrium constraints (MPECs)—as nonlinear programs, using an interior-point approach. These problems pose theoretical difficulties for nonlinear solvers, including interior-point methods. We examine the use of penalty methods to get around these difficulties and provide substantial numerical results. We go on to show that penalty methods can resolve some problems that interior-point algorithms encounter in general.
- M. Anitescu, “Nonlinear programs with unbounded lagrange multiplier sets,” Technical Report ANL/MCS-P793-0200.
- Benson, H.Y., Shanno, D.F., Vanderbei, R.J. (2002) Interior point methods for nonconvex nonlinear programming: filter methods and merit functions. Computational Optimization and Applications 23: pp. 257-272 CrossRef
- Benson, H.Y., Shanno, D.F., Vanderbei, R.J. (2004) Interior point methods for nonconvex nonlinear programming: Jamming and comparative numerical testing. Math. Programming 99: pp. 35-48 CrossRef
- Byrd, R.H., Hribar, M.E., Nocedal, J. (1999) An interior point algorithm for large scale nonlinear programming. SIAM Journal on Optimization 9: pp. 877-900 CrossRef
- M.C. Ferris, S.P. Dirkse, and A. Meeraus, “Mathematical programs with equilibrium constraints: Automatic reformulation and solution via constrained optimization,” in Frontiers in Applied General Equilibrium Modeling, T.J. Kehoe, T.N. Srinivasan, and J.Whalley (Eds.), Cambridge University Press, 2005, pp. 67–95.
- Ferris, M.C., Kanzow, C. Complementarity and related problems: A survey. In: Pardalos, P.M., Resende, M.G.C. eds. (2002) Handbook of Applied Optimization. Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 514-530
- Ferris, M.C., Pang, J.-S. (1997) Engineering and economics applications of complementarity problems. SIAM Review 39: pp. 669-713 CrossRef
- Fletcher, R., Leyffer, S. (2004) Numerical experience with solving MPECs as NLPs. Optimization Methods and Software 19: pp. 15-40 CrossRef
- Fletcher, R., Leyffer, S., Toint, P. L. (2002) On the global convergence of a filter-SQP algorithm. SIAM Journal on Optimization 13: pp. 44-59 CrossRef
- Gill, P.E., Murray, W., Saunders, M.A. (2002) snopt: An SQP algorithm for large-scale constrained optimization. SIAM Journal on Optimization 12: pp. 979-1006 CrossRef
- W. Hock and D. Schittkowski, “Test examples for nonlinear programming codes,” Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems 187, Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, 1981.
- J. Huang and J.-S. Pang, “Option pricing and linear complementarity,” Journal of Computational Finance, vol. 2, no. 3, 1998.
- S. Leyffer, MacMPEC Test Suite. http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/∼leyffer/MacMPEC
- Scheel, H., Scholtes, S. (2000) Mathematical program with complementarity constraints: Stationarity, optimality and sensitivity. Mathematics of Operations Research 25: pp. 1-22 CrossRef
- Scholtes, S. (2001) Convergence properties of a regularization scheme for mathematical programs with complementarity constraints. SIAM Journal on Optimization 11: pp. 918-936 CrossRef
- A. Sen and D.F. Shanno, “Computing nash equilibria for stochastic games” (working paper).
- E.M. Simantiraki and D.F. Shanno, “An infeasible interior-point algorithm for solving mixed complementarity problems,” in Complementarity and Variational Problems, State of the Art, Complementarity and Variational Problems, State of the Art, M.C. Ferris and J.S. Pang (Eds.), SIAM, Philadelphia, 1997, pp. 386–404.
- Vanderbei, R.J., Shanno, D.F. (1999) An Interior-point algorithm for nonconvex nonlinear programming. Computational Optimization and Applications 13: pp. 231-252 CrossRef
- A. Waechter and L.T. Biegler, “On the implementation of a primal-dual interior point filter line search algorithm for large-scale nonlinear programming,” Technical Report RC 23149, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY, March 2004.
- Interior-Point Algorithms, Penalty Methods and Equilibrium Problems
Computational Optimization and Applications
Volume 34, Issue 2 , pp 155-182
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- interior-point methods
- nonlinear programming
- penalty methods
- equilibrium problems
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Decision Sciences Department, LeBow College of Business, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 19104
- 2. Department of Operations Research and Financial Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, 08544
- 3. RUTCOR - Rutgers Center of Operations Research, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, 08903