December 2009, Volume 97, Issue 3-4, pp 439-447,
Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Date: 19 Aug 2009
Replacing coal with wood: sustainable, eco-neutral, conservation harvest of natural tree-fall in old-growth forests
- Leonard Ornstein
- … show all 1 hide
- Alley R et al (2007) IPCC summary for policy makers. (IPCC Secretariat, Geneva Switzerland). http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessmentreport/ar4/syr/ar4_syr_spm.pdf
- Asner, GP, Keller, M, Silvas, JNM (2004) Spatial and temporal dynamics of forest temporal gaps following selective logging in the eastern Amazon. Glob Chang Biol 10: pp. 765-783 CrossRef
- Bergman R, Zerbe J (2008) Primer on wood biomass energy. Forest Products Laboratory, Forestry Service, USDA, pp 1–10. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/tmu/resources/documents/primer_on_wood_biomass_for_energy.pdf
- Boeing SkyHook (2008) http://boeingmedia.com/imageDetail.cfm?id = 15279&clr = release
- Carey, E, Brown, S, Gillespie, AJR, Lugo, AE (1994) Tree mortality in mature lowland tropical moist and tropical lower montane forests of Venezuela. Biotropica 26: pp. 255-265 CrossRef
- Carlson, TR, Vispute, TP, Huber, GW (2008) Green gasoline by catalytic fast pyrolysis of solid biomass derived compounds. ChemSusChem 1.
- Clark, DB, Castro, CS, Alvarado, LDA, Read, JM (2003) Quantifying mortality of tropical rain forest trees using high-spatial-resolution satellite data. Ecol Lett 7: pp. 52-59 CrossRef
- Forest Now (2007) Forest Now Declaration. http://www.forestsnow.org/
- Gough C, Shackley S (2005) An integrated assessment of carbon dioxide capture and storage in the UK. Technical report 47, Tyndall Project T2/21, October. http://tyndall.ac.uk/research/theme2/final_reports/t2_21.pdf
- Keeton, WS (2006) Managing for late-successional/old-growth characteristics in northern hardwood-conifer forests. For Ecol Manag 235: pp. 129-142 CrossRef
- Lehmann, J, Gaunt, J, Rondon, M (2006) Bio-char sequestration in terrestrial ecosystems—a review. Mitig Adapt Strategies Glob Chang 11: pp. 403-427 CrossRef
- Lewis, SL (2006) Tropical forests and the changing earth system. Phil Trans R Soc B 361: pp. 195-210 CrossRef
- Mahli, Y (2006) The regional variation of aboveground live biomass in old-growth Amazonian forests. Glob Chang Biol 12: pp. 1107-1138 CrossRef
- Marland, G (1997) Schlamadinger Forests for carbon sequestration or fossil fuel substitution? A sensitivity analysis. Biomass Bioenergy 13: pp. 389-397 CrossRef
- Ornstein, L, Aleinov, I, Rind, D (2009) Irrigated afforestation of the Sahara and Australian outback to end global warming. Clim Change.
- Phillips, OL, Gentry, AH (1994) Increasing turnover rates through time in tropical forests. Science 263: pp. 954-958 CrossRef
- Read, P (2008) Biosphere carbon stock management: addressing the threat of abrupt climate change in the next few decades: an editorial essay. Clim Change 87: pp. 305-320 CrossRef
- Ryan, MW, Liu, ZY, Peter, M, Dumesic, JA (2008) Liquid alkanes with targeted molecular weights from biomass-derived carbohydrates. ChemSusChem 1.
- Spreng, D, Marland, G, Weinberg, AM (2007) CO2 capture and storage: another Faustian Bargain?. Energy Policy 35: pp. 850-854 CrossRef
- Wise, M, Calvin, K, Thomson, A, Clarke, L, Bond-Lamberty, B, Sands, R, Smith, SJ, Janetos, A, Edmonds, J (2009) Implications of limiting CO2 concentrations for land use and energy. Science 324: pp. 1183-1186 CrossRef
- Zhao M, Nemani R, Running S (2007) MODIS GPP/NPP Project (MOD17). http://secure.ntsg.umt.edu/projects/index.php/ID/ca2901a0/fuseaction/projects.detail.htm
- Replacing coal with wood: sustainable, eco-neutral, conservation harvest of natural tree-fall in old-growth forests
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 97, Issue 3-4 , pp 439-447
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Leonard Ornstein (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mount Sinai School of Medicine, NYC, 5 Biltom Road, White Plains, 10607, NY, USA