Convergence of inexact inverse iteration with application to preconditioned iterative solves
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we study inexact inverse iteration for solving the generalised eigenvalue problem A x=λM x. We show that inexact inverse iteration is a modified Newton method and hence obtain convergence rates for various versions of inexact inverse iteration for the calculation of an algebraically simple eigenvalue. In particular, if the inexact solves are carried out with a tolerance chosen proportional to the eigenvalue residual then quadratic convergence is achieved. We also show how modifying the right hand side in inverse iteration still provides a convergent method, but the rate of convergence will be quadratic only under certain conditions on the right hand side. We discuss the implications of this for the preconditioned iterative solution of the linear systems. Finally we introduce a new ILU preconditioner which is a simple modification to the usual preconditioner, but which has advantages both for the standard form of inverse iteration and for the version with a modified right hand side. Numerical examples are given to illustrate the theoretical results.
AMS subject classification (2000)
- E. L. Allgower and H. Schwetlick, A general view of minimally extended systems for simple bifurcation points, ZAMM Z. Angew. Math. Mech., 77 (1997), pp. 83–98.
- J. Berns-Müller, I. G. Graham, and A. Spence, Inexact inverse iteration for symmetric matrices, Linear Algebra Appl., 416 (2006), pp. 389–413. CrossRef
- J. Berns-Müller and A. Spence, Inexact inverse iteration and GMRES, 2006. Submitted.
- J. Berns-Müller and A. Spence, Inexact inverse iteration and the nonsymmetric generalized eigenvalue problem, 2006. To appear in SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl.
- J. W. Demmel, Applied Numerical Linear Algebra, SIAM, Philadelphia, 1997.
- J. E. Dennis and R. B. Schnabel, Numerical Methods for Unconstrained Optimization and Nonlinear Equations, Classics in Applied Mathematics, vol. 16, SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 1996. Unabridged, corrected reprint of the 1983 original.
- P. Deuflhard, Newton Methods for Nonlinear Problems, Springer Series in Computational Mathematics, vol. 35, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2004.
- A. Edelman, T. Arias, and S. T. Smith, The geometry of algorithms with orthogonality constraints, SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl., 20 (1999), pp. 303–353. CrossRef
- G. H. Golub and Q. Ye, Inexact inverse iteration for generalized eigenvalue problems, BIT, 40 (2000), pp. 671–684. CrossRef
- H. B. Keller, Numerical solution of bifurcation and nonlinear eigenvalue problems, in Applications of Bifurcation Theory, P. H. Rabinowitz, ed., Academic Press, New York, 1977, pp. 359–384.
- C. T. Kelley, Iterative Methods for Linear and Nonlinear Equations, Frontiers in Applied Mathematics, vol. 16, SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 1995.
- A. V. Knyazev, Toward the optimal preconditioned eigensolver: Locally optimal block preconditioned conjugate gradient method, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 23 (2001), pp. 517–541. CrossRef
- Y.-L. Lai, K.-Y. Lin, and L. Wen-Wei, An inexact inverse iteration for large sparse eigenvalue problems, Numer. Linear Algebra Appl., 1 (1997), pp. 1–13.
- K. Neymeyr, A geometric theory for preconditioned inverse iteration I: Extrema of the Rayleigh quotient, Linear Algebra Appl., 322 (2001), pp. 61–85. CrossRef
- G. Peters and J. Wilkinson, Inverse iteration, ill-conditioned equations and Newton’s method, SIAM Rev., 21 (1979), pp. 339–360. CrossRef
- A. Ruhe and T. Wiberg, The method of conjugate gradients used in inverse iteration, BIT, 12 (1972), pp. 543–554. CrossRef
- R. Scheichl, Parallel Solution of the Transient Multigroup Neutron Diffusion Equations with Multi-Grid and Preconditioned Krylov-Subspace Methods, Master’s thesis, Johannes Kepler Universität Linz, Austria, 1997.
- H. Schwetlick and R. Lösche, A generalized Rayleigh quotient iteration for computing simple eigenvalues of nonnormal matrices, ZAMM Z. Angew. Math. Mech., 80 (2000), pp. 9–25. CrossRef
- V. Simoncini and L. Eldén, Inexact Rayleigh quotient-type methods for eigenvalue computations, BIT, 42 (2002), pp. 159–182. CrossRef
- P. Smit and M. H. C. Paardekooper, The effects of inexact solvers in algorithms for symmetric eigenvalue problems, Linear Algebra Appl., 287 (1999), pp. 337–357. CrossRef
- H. Symm and J. Wilkinson, Realistic error bounds for a simple eigenvalue and its associated eigenvector, Numer. Math., 35 (1980), pp. 113–126. CrossRef
- H. Unger, Nichtlineare Behandlung von Eigenwertaufgaben, ZAMM Z. Angew. Math. Mech., 30 (1950), pp. 281–282.
- Convergence of inexact inverse iteration with application to preconditioned iterative solves
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 47, Issue 1 , pp 27-44
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- inverse iteration
- Newton’s method
- preconditioned iterative methods
- Industry Sectors