An improved protocol for micropropagation of elite genotypes of Simmondsia chinensis (Link) Schneider
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An efficient micropropagation protocol was developed for elite male and female genotypes of Simmondsia chinensis using nodal segments. Bud initiation was found to be best on Murashige and Skoog’s (MS) medium supplemented with 4.44 µM 6-benzylaminopurine (BAP) and 88.8 µM adenine. Upon sub-culture, 10–15 shoots per explant were obtained when 4.44 µM BAP and 74.0 µM adenine were incorporated in the medium. Increase in KNO3 concentration in the medium improved shoot multiplication rate and in vitro flowering in 20 % of male cultures. Elongated shoots were harvested, pulse treated for 48 h on liquid medium supplemented with 49.0 µM indole-3-butyric acid, 5.40 µM α-naphthaleneacetic acid and 5.71 µM indole-3-acetic acid for root induction and rooting (92 %) was achieved on hormonal free half-strength MS medium supplemented with 1.37 µM chlorogenic acid, 1 % activated charcoal and 2 % sucrose. After successful hardening, plantlets were transferred to greenhouse with 99 % establishment.
- Alcaraz, M.L., Ayla-Rocha, B.: Asexual reproduction of Jojoba by layering.-Hort. Sci. 17: 893–96, 1982.
- Babic, V., Nescovic, M.: Propagation of three blackberry cultivars from small apical bud in vitro.-J. hort. Sci. 59: 183–185, 1984.
- Chaturvedi, H.C., Sharma, M.: In vitro production of cloned plants of Jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis (Link) Schneider) through shoot proliferation in long term culture.-Plant Sci. 63: 199–207, 1989. CrossRef
- Collet, G.F.: Improvement to induce rooting of fruit trees in vitro.-Acta Hort. 227: 318–324. 1988.
- Driver, J.A., Kuniyuki, A.H.: In vitro propagation of paradox walnut rootstock.-Hort. Sci. 19: 507–509, 1984.
- Jacoboni, A., Standarti, A.: Tissue culture of jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis Link).-Acta Hort. 212: 557–560, 1987.
- Kaliamoorthy, S., Naidoo, G., Achar, P.: Micropropagation of Harpagophytum procumbens.-Biol. Plant. 52: 191–194, 2008. CrossRef
- Lee, C.W., Palzkill, D.A.: Propagation of jojoba by single node cuttings.-Hort. Sci 19: 841–842, 1984.
- Llorente, B.E., Apostolo, N.M.: Effect of different growth regulators and genotype on in vitro propagation of jojoba.-New Zealand J. of Crop and Hort. Sci. 26: 55–62, 1998.
- Mandani, A., Lee, C.W., Hogan, L.: In vitro propagation of Simmondsia chinensis via shoot tip culture.-Hort. Sci. 13: 35–37, 1978.
- Mills, D., Wenkart, S., Benzioni, A.: Micropropagation of Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba).-In: Bajaj, Y.P.S. (ed.): Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry. Vol. 40. Pp. 380–939. Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg 1997.
- Murashige, T., Skoog, F.: A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures.-Physiol. plant. 15: 473–497, 1962. CrossRef
- Peare, H.L.: Experiments with growth controlling substances. II. Response of the fruit-tree cuttings to treatment with synthetic root forming substances.-Rep. East Malling Res. Sta. 21: 157–166, 1938.
- Rao, M.S., Purohit, S.D.: In vitro shoot bud differentiation and plantlet regeneration in Celastrus paniculatus Willd.-Biol. Plant. 50: 501–506, 2006. CrossRef
- Roussos, P.A., Tolia-Marioli, A., Pontikis, C.A., Kotsias, D.: Rapid multiplication of jojoba seedlings by in vitro culture.-Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult. 57: 133–137, 1999. CrossRef
- Selvaraj, N., Vasudevan, A., Manikavasagam, M., Ganpathi, A.: In vitro organogenesis and plant formation in cucumber.-Biol. Plant. 50: 123–126, 2006. CrossRef
- Torrey, J.G.: Root hormones and plant growth.-Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. 27: 435–459, 1976. CrossRef
- Tyagi, R.K., Prakash, S.S.: Genotype-and sex-specific protocol for in vitro micropropagation and medium-term conservation of jojoba.-Biol. Plant. 48: 119–123, 2004.
- Yermanos, D.M.: Jojoba-a crop whose time has come.-California Agr. 33: 4–9 and 10–11, 1979.
- An improved protocol for micropropagation of elite genotypes of Simmondsia chinensis (Link) Schneider
Volume 52, Issue 3 , pp 538-542
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors