Structural Changes in Mesocorticolimbic Dopaminergic System of the Brain during Long-Term Alcoholization in Rats
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We studied morphofunctional changes in structures of the mesocorticolimbic system of rat brain upon long-term (5 months) ethanol intoxication. Alcoholization reduced the volume and specific density of neurons in the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area. The density of neurogliocytes in the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area increased. Neuronal density in the nucleus accumbens and anterior cingulate cortex significantly decreased, the volume of viable neurons slightly increased. One month after alcohol cessation, the volume of neurons in the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area remained elevated against the background of their reduced density. The density of neuroglia in the nucleus accumbens and anterior cingulate cortex remained at the level observed during alcoholization. Significant decrease in the density and decrease in the volume of neurons in structures of the mesocorticolimbic system accompanied by the increase in neuroglyocyte density in these structures can be considered as morphological signs of long-term alcoholic intoxication, which persist after alcohol cessation.
- I. P. Anokhina, Biological Basis for Individual Sensitivity to Psychotropic Drugs [in Russian], Moscow (2006), p. 7.
- Lebedev, AA, Droblenkov, AV, Shabanov, PD (2007) Psikhofarmakol. Biol. Narkol. 7: pp. 2158-2178
- P. D. Shabanov, Principles of Narcology [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2002).
- P. D. Shabanov, Psychopharmacology [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2008).
- P. D. Shabanov, A. A. Lebedev, and Sh. K. Mescherov, Dopamine and Brain Reinforcing Systems [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2002).
- Shabanov, PD, Lebedev, AA, Pavlenko, VP (2006) Eksp. Klin. Farmakol. 69: pp. 44-49
- Shabanov, PD, Lebedev, AA, Rusanovsky, VV (2006) Narkologiya 3: pp. 36-41
- P. D. Shabanov, Sh. K. Meshcherov, and A. A. Lebedev, Social Isolation Syndrome [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2004).
- Nikolaev, SV, Lebedev, AA, Bychkov, ER (2004) Neurosci. Behav. Physiol. 34: pp. 743-746 CrossRef
- Shabanov, PD (2008) Int. J. Addiction Res. 1: pp. 200-204
- Structural Changes in Mesocorticolimbic Dopaminergic System of the Brain during Long-Term Alcoholization in Rats
Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine
Volume 146, Issue 6 , pp 816-819
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- mesocorticolimbic brain pathway
- Industry Sectors