Seasonal Variation in Internet Keyword Searches: A Proxy Assessment of Sex Mating Behaviors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The current study investigated seasonal variation in internet searches regarding sex and mating behaviors. Harmonic analyses were used to examine the seasonal trends of Google keyword searches during the past 5 years for topics related to pornography, prostitution, and mate-seeking. Results indicated a consistent 6-month harmonic cycle with the peaks of keyword searches related to sex and mating behaviors occurring most frequently during winter and early summer. Such results compliment past research that has found similar seasonal trends of births, sexually transmitted infections, condom sales, and abortions.
- Baumeister, RF, Catanese, KR, Vohs, KD (2001) Is there a gender difference in strength of sex drive? Theoretical views, conceptual distinctions, and a review of relevant evidence. Personality and Social Psychology Review 5: pp. 242-273 CrossRef
- Brewer, DP, Muth, S, Roberts, JM, Dudeck, JA, Woodhouse, D (2007) Clients of prostitute women: Deterrence, prevalence, characteristics and violence. National Institute of Justice, US Department of Justice, Washington, DC
- Cooper, A, Delmonico, DL, Burg, R (2000) Cybersex users, abusers, and compulsives: New findings and implication. Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity 7: pp. 5-29 CrossRef
- Elam-Evans, L. D., Strauss, L. T., Herndon, J., Parker, W. Y., Whitehead, S., & Berg, C. J. (2002). Abortion surveillance in the United States-1999. Morbidity mortality weekly report. Retrieved May 3, 2011 from http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5109a1.htm.
- Fallows, D. (2005). How men and women use the internet. Pew Internet and American life project. Retrieved May 5, 2011 from, http://www.pewinternet.org/~/media//Files/Reports/2005/PIP_Women_and_Men_online.pdf.pdf.
- Fortenberry, JD, Orr, DP, Zimet, GD, Blythe, MJ (1997) Weekly and seasonal variation in sexual behaviors among adolescent women with sexually transmitted diseases. Journal of Adolescent Health 20: pp. 420-425 CrossRef
- Ginsberg, J, Mohebbi, MH, Patel, RS, Brammer, L, Smolinski, MS, Brillian, L (2009) Detecting influenza epidemics using search engine query data. Nature 457: pp. 1012-1014 CrossRef
- Google. (2009). Google trends. Retrieved March 8, 2011, from http://www.google.com/intl/en/trends/about.html.
- Hakim, D., & Rashbaum, W. K. (March 10, 2008). Spitzer is linked to a prostitution ring. New York Times. Retrieved May 3, 2011 from http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/nyregion/10cnd-spitzer.html.
- Herold, AH, Woodard, LJ, Roetzheim, RG, Pamies, RJ, Young, DL, Micceri, T (1993) Seasonality of Chlamydia trachomatis genital infections in university women. Journal of American College Health 42: pp. 117-120 CrossRef
- Lam, D, Miron, JA (1991) Seasonality of births in human populations. Social Biology 38: pp. 51-78
- Levin, ML, Xu, X, Bartkowski, JP (2002) Seasonality of sexual debut. Journal of Marriage and Family 64: pp. 871-884 CrossRef
- Macdowall, W, Wellings, K, Stephenson, J, Glasier, A (2008) Summer nights: A review of the evidence of seasonal variations in sexual health indicators among young people. Health Education 108: pp. 40-53 CrossRef
- Malamuth, N (1996) Sexually explicit media, gender differences and evolutionary theory. Journal of Communication 46: pp. 8-31 CrossRef
- Markey, PM, Markey, CN (2010) Changes in pornography seeking behaviors following political elections: An examination of the Challenge Hypothesis. Evolution and Human Behavior 31: pp. 442-446 CrossRef
- Markey, PM, Markey, CN (2011) Pornography seeking behaviors following midterm political elections in the United States: A replication of the challenge hypothesis. Computers in Human Behavior 27: pp. 1262-1264 CrossRef
- Markey, PM, Markey, CN Pornography seeking behaviors. In: Yan, Z eds. (2012) Encyclopedia of cyber behavior. IGI Global, Hershey, PA, pp. 337-346
- McCarthy, MJ (2010) Internet monitoring of suicide risk in the population. Journal of Affective Disorders 3: pp. 277-289 CrossRef
- Parnell, AM, Rodgers, JL (1998) Seasonality of induced abortion in North Carolina. Journal of Biosocial Science 30: pp. 321-332 CrossRef
- Petersen, DJ, Alexander, GR (1992) Seasonal variation in adolescent conceptions, induced abortions, and late initiation of prenatal care. Public Health Reports 107: pp. 701-706
- Pittman, S, Tita, AT, Barratt, MS, Rubin, SR, Hollier, LM (2005) Seasonality and immediate antecedents of sexual intercourse in adolescents. Journal of Reproductive Medicine 50: pp. 193-197
- Rodgers, JL, Harris, DF, Vickers, KB (1992) Seasonality of first coitus in the United States. Social Biology 39: pp. 1-14
- Ropelato, J. (2006). Internet pornography statistics. Retrieved May 3, 2011 from http://internet-filter-review.toptenreviews.com/internet-pornography-statistics.html.
- Scafetta, N, Restrepo, E, West, BJ (2003) Seasonality of birth and conception to teenagers in Texas. Social Biology 50: pp. 1-22
- Schroeder, B, Tetlow, P, Sanfilippo, JS, Hertweck, SP (2001) Is there a seasonal variation in gonorrhea and chlamydia in adolescents?. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology 14: pp. 25-27 CrossRef
- Seiver, DA (1985) Trend and variation in the seasonality of U.S. fertility, 1947–1976. Demography 22: pp. 89-100 CrossRef
- Tita, ATN, Hollier, LM, Waller, DK (2001) Seasonality in conception of births and influence on late initiation of prenatal care. Gynecology and Obstetrics 97: pp. 976-981 CrossRef
- Tourangeau, R, Yan, T (2007) Sensitive questions in surveys. Psychological Bulletin 133: pp. 859-883 CrossRef
- Warner, RM (1998) Spectral analysis of time-series data. Guilford Press, New York, NY
- Warren, CW, Gold, J, Tyler, CW, Smith, JC, Paris, AL (1980) Seasonal variations in spontaneous abortions. American Journal of Public Health 70: pp. 1297-1299 CrossRef
- Wellings, K, Macdowall, W, Catchpole, M, Goodrich, J (1999) Seasonal variations in sexual activity and their implication for sexual health promotion. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 92: pp. 60-64
- World Bank. (2011). Internet users (per 100 people). Retrieved May 5, 2011 from http://search.worldbank.org/data?qterm=internet%20united%20states&language=EN&format=html.
- Yang, AC, Huang, NE, Peng, CK, Tsai, SJ (2010) Do seasons have an influence on the incidence of depression? The use of an internet search engine query data as a proxy of human affect. PLoS One 5: pp. e13728 CrossRef
- Ybarra, ML, Mitchell, KJ (2005) Exposure to internet pornography among children and adolescents: A national survey. CyberPsychology and Behavior 8: pp. 473-486 CrossRef
- Seasonal Variation in Internet Keyword Searches: A Proxy Assessment of Sex Mating Behaviors
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 42, Issue 4 , pp 515-521
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors