Response to Moser’s (2010) Critique of Hypersexual Disorder for DSM-5
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Moser (2001) has long been a consistent critic of the empirical basis of the inclusion of paraphilic disorders in the APA’s diagnostic manuals and has, to date, already published two Letters to the Editor of this Journal critical of the Paraphilias Subworkgroup’s DSM-5 proposals (Moser, 2009, 2010b).
In Moser’s (2010a) current letter criticizing our proposal for Hypersexual Disorder as “just more muddled thinking,” he restates many of the general criticisms that he has previously raised about paraphilic disorders. Interestingly, he agrees that “there are people who have difficulty controlling their sexual fantasies, urges, and behaviors” and that “these individuals may benefit from psychiatric intervention” but only asserts “The present formulation of Hypersexual Disorder does not describe these individuals.” He offers no counter proposal as to how to better define such a condition.
Many of his specific criticisms of Hypersexual Disorder reflect a combination of misunderstanding, omissio
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: Author.
- Grilo, C. M., White, M. A., & Masheb, R. M. (2009). DSM-IV psychiatric disorder comorbidity and its correlates with binge eating disorder. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 42, 228–234. CrossRef
- Kafka, M. P. (2010). Hypersexual disorder: A proposed diagnosis for DSM-V. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 39, 377–400. CrossRef
- Moser, C. (2001). Paraphilia: A critique of a confused concept. In P. J. Kleinplatz (Ed.), New directions in sex therapy: Innovations and alternatives (pp. 91–108). Philadelphia, PA: Brunner-Routledge.
- Moser, C. (2009). When is an unusual sexual interest a mental disorder? [Letter to the Editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 38, 323–325. CrossRef
- Moser, C. (2010a). Hypersexual disorder: Just more muddled thinking [Letter to the Editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10508-010-9690-4.
- Moser, C. (2010b). Problems with ascertainment [Letter to the Editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 39, 1225–1227.
- Petry, N. M., Stinson, F. S., & Grant, B. F. (2005). Comorbidity of DSM-IV pathological gambling and other psychiatric disorders: Results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 66, 564–574. CrossRef
- Response to Moser’s (2010) Critique of Hypersexual Disorder for DSM-5
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 40, Issue 2 , pp 231-232
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors