Hypersexual Disorder: A More Cautious Approach
- Jason Winters
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Kafka (2009) has done an exemplary job of synthesizing disparate perspectives on dysregulated sexuality, and distilling the common elements into Hypersexual Disorder, a proposed new diagnosis for the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. There appears to be substantial clinical support for this disorder; however, strong empirical evidence demonstrating its validity is currently lacking. Further, previous criticisms of the theoretical assumptions underlying a dysregulated sexuality disorder, regardless of how it is conceptualized and labeled, have not yet been adequately addressed (e.g., Giles, 2006; Levine & Troiden, 1988; Moser, 1993; Rinehart & McCabe, 1997; Winters, Christoff, & Gorzalka, 2010). For these reasons, the addition of Hypersexual Disorder to the DSM may be premature.
To meet the DSM definition for a mental disorder, it must be shown that Hypersexual Disorder represents a psychological or behavioral syndrome that is the manifestation o
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: Author.
- Black, D. W., Kehrberg, L. L. D., Flumerfelt, D. L., & Schlosser, S. S. (1997). Characteristics of 36 subjects reporting compulsive sexual behavior. American Journal of Psychiatry, 154, 243–249.
- Coleman, E., Raymond, N. C., & McBean, A. (2003). Assessment and treatment of compulsive sexual behavior. Minnesota Medicine, 86(7), 42–47.
- Cooper, A., Scherer, C. R., Boies, S., & Gordon, B. (1999). Sexuality on the Internet: From sexual exploitation to pathological expression. Professional Psychology: Research & Practice, 30, 154–164. CrossRef
- Dodge, B., Reece, M., Cole, S. L., & Sandfort, T. G. M. (2004). Sexual compulsivity among heterosexual college students. Journal of Sex Research, 41, 343–350. CrossRef
- Giles, J. (2006). No such thing as excessive levels of sexual behavior [Letter to the Editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 35, 641–642. CrossRef
- Gold, S. N., & Heffner, C. L. (1998). Sexual addiction: Many conceptions, minimal data. Clinical Psychology Review, 18, 367–381. CrossRef
- Goodman, A. (1997). Sexual addiction: diagnosis, etiology and treatment. In J. H. Lowenstein, R. B. Millman, P. Ruiz, & J. G. Langrod (Eds.), Substance abuse: A comprehensive textbook (3rd ed., pp. 340–354). Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins.
- Kafka, M. P. (1997). Hypersexual desire in males: An operational definition and clinical implications for males with paraphilias and paraphilia-related disorders. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 26, 505–526. CrossRef
- Kafka, M. P. (2009). Hypersexual disorder: A proposed diagnosis for DSM-V. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10508-009-9574-7.
- Kafka, M. P., & Hennen, J. (1999). The paraphilia-related disorders: An empirical investigation of nonparaphilic hypersexuality disorders in outpatient males. Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, 25, 305–319.
- Kalichman, S. C., & Rompa, D. (1995). Sexual sensation seeking and sexual compulsivity scales: Reliability, validity, and predicting HIV risk behavior. Journal of Personality Assessment, 65, 586–601. CrossRef
- Kalichman, S. C., & Rompa, D. (2001). The Sexual Compulsivity Scale: Further development and use with HIV-positive persons. Journal of Personality Assessment, 76, 379–395. CrossRef
- Levine, M. P., & Troiden, R. R. (1988). The myth of sexual compulsivity. Journal of Sex Research, 25, 347–363. CrossRef
- Miner, M. H., Coleman, E., Center, B. A., Ross, M., & Rosser, B. R. S. (2007). The Compulsive Sexual Behavior Inventory: Psychometric properties. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 36, 579–587. CrossRef
- Moser, C. (1993). A response to Aviel Goodman’s ‘Sexual addiction: Designation and treatment’. Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, 19, 220–224.
- Raymond, N. C., Coleman, E., & Miner, M. H. (2003). Psychiatric comorbidity and compulsive/impulsive traits in compulsive sexual behavior. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 44, 370–380. CrossRef
- Rinehart, N. L., & McCabe, M. P. (1997). Hypersexuality: Psychopathology or normal variant of sexuality? Sexual and Marital Therapy, 12, 45–60.
- Winters, J., Christoff, K., & Gorzalka, B. B. (2010). Dysregulated sexuality and high sexual desire: Distinct constructs? Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10508-009-9591-6.
- Hypersexual Disorder: A More Cautious Approach
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 39, Issue 3 , pp 594-596
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Jason Winters (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Forensic Psychiatric Services Commission, British Columbia Provincial Health Services Authority, #300–307 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC, V5Y 1P9, Canada