Reply to Letters Regarding Pedophilia, Hebephilia, and the DSM-V
- Ray Blanchard
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The on-line publication of our article, “Pedophilia, Hebephilia, and the DSM-V” (Blanchard et al., 2008), quickly prompted the writing of several letters to the editor of this journal. I am writing this letter of reply as sole author, and any inadequacies or inaccuracies in it can be attributed to me alone.
The letters by Tromovitch (2008) and DeClue (2008) focus on our recommendation that hebephilia (the erotic preference for pubescent children) be considered for inclusion in the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V). Tromovitch and DeClue point out that we did not provide a definition of mental disorder, and we did not investigate whether hebephilia would satisfy the definition of mental disorder. That is true. We could and perhaps should have included a statement to this effect: “The clinical implications of this study depend on the DSM-V using a definition of mental disorder that is similar to the definition supplied in the DSM-IV-TR (Ame ...
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: Author.
- Blanchard, R, Klassen, P, Dickey, R, Kuban, ME, Blak, T (2001) Sensitivity and specificity of the phallometric test for pedophilia in nonadmitting sex offenders. Psychological Assessment 13: pp. 118-126 CrossRef
- Blanchard, R., Lykins, A. D., Wherrett, D., Kuban, M. E., Cantor, J. M., Blak, T., et al. (2008). Pedophilia, hebephilia, and the DSM-V. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10508-008-9399-9.
- DeClue, G. (2008). Should hebephilia be a mental disorder? A reply to Blanchard et al. (2008) [Letter to the editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10508-008-9422-1.
- Franklin, K. (2008). The public policy implications of “hebephilia”: A response to Blanchard et al. (2008) [Letter to the editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10508-008-9425-y.
- Frenzel, RR, Lang, RA (1989) Identifying sexual preferences in intrafamilial and extrafamilial child sexual abusers. Annals of Sex Research 2: pp. 255-275 CrossRef
- Freund, K Assessment of pedophilia. In: Cook, M, Howells, K eds. (1981) Adult sexual interest in children. Academic Press, New York, pp. 139-179
- Freund, K, Blanchard, R (1989) Phallometric diagnosis of pedophilia. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 57: pp. 100-105 CrossRef
- Freund, K, Langevin, R, Cibiri, S, Zajac, Y (1973) Heterosexual aversion in homosexual males. British Journal of Psychiatry 122: pp. 163-169 CrossRef
- Freund, K, McKnight, CK, Langevin, R, Cibiri, S (1972) The female child as a surrogate object. Archives of Sexual Behavior 2: pp. 119-133 CrossRef
- Kleinplatz, PJ, Moser, C (2005) Politics versus science: An addendum and response to Drs. Spitzer and Fink. Journal of Psychology & Human Sexuality 17: pp. 135-139 CrossRef
- Plaud, J. J. (2008). Are there “hebephiles” among us? A response to Blanchard et al. (2008) [Letter to the editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10508-008-9423-0.
- Tromovitch, P. (2008). Manufacturing mental disorder by pathologizing erotic age orientation: A comment on Blanchard et al. (2008) [Letter to the editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10508-008-9426-x.
- Zander, T. K. (2008). Adult sexual attraction to early-stage adolescents: Phallometry doesn’t equal pathology [Letter to the editor]. Archives of Sexual Behavior. doi:10.1007/s10508-008-9428-8.
- Reply to Letters Regarding Pedophilia, Hebephilia, and the DSM-V
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 38, Issue 3 , pp 331-334
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Ray Blanchard (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Kurt Freund Laboratory, Law and Mental Health Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5T 1R8